Thread: Sighted in 5 of my rifles today

Default Sighted in 5 of my rifles today

Doing a bit of a winter scope swap on several of my rifles meant I finally was able to break away to the range for the first time for about 4 hours to get them all sighted in from the 25 yard bore sight to finally out to the 200 yard zeros.

My Kimber .308 grouped well out at 200 yards, but with only $14 a box PMC 147 grn ammo for the Kimber this time out I was happy with the 2.5" groups at 200 and I will fine tune with some federal premium stuff next time out. Given what I have seen out of this rifle before I know a higher quality diet will no doubt have it shooting better than ever.

Here was the Ruger 338 at 200 yards w/ Core Lokt's (don't mind the .243 hole in the bullseye of every pic after I got that little gun dialed I felt it was my duty to tag each bulls eye with it)

My new Remington 700 XCR in 375 H&H got sighted in at 100 yards and 200 yards with some 270 grn Core Lokts before swapping over to the Barnes 300 Triple Shocks (which is what I plan to feed it from here on out). The pic below is the first 3 shots out of the gate at 200 yards with Barne's Triple Shocks. 3 clicks up on the elevation after this sequence and it was tighter than this group and dancing around that red dot.

That said by fair my tightest groups today where with my $300 Marlin XS7 in 243 that I have been carrying as my varmint gun. Today I sighted it in with 58 grn V-Max's. Man these things can make a novice paper puncher like myself look good even.

Sighted it at 100 yards:

Then dialed in for the 200 yard zero(after these two I had to tag every bulleye once before I put the gun away just cause ):

But probably the biggest suprise of the day was what I as able to pull off with my little Marlin 45/70 with the 16" barrel. At 100 yards with LeverRevs it was 1" high and sub-MOA when aiming at the center of the cross hairs so I decided swap over to the 200 yard range to see what it would do there..

Moving out to 200 yards I aim with the bottom dot on my BDC scope I have on it and you get something like this :

2 clicks down and 2 to the left, pretty much left nothing red on that target. Surprising to me that I was about to get the 45/70 to shoot so well especially out of the shorty 16" barrel of my trapper model. Plus it was a heck of a lot of fun to boot, left me grinning from ear to ear after get that thing dialed in at 200 yards.

Never been a paper puncher and usually when I got "close" on my sight ins I move straight to field positions, but this time I just wanted to see what my rifles (and myself) were capable of if really trying to get dialed in. Kinda fun and I can see why guys like to do it. Likely will just check for the "close" zero with these rifles on the next go round and just practice from field positions, but its nice to know what these rifles are capable of and see how different ammo affects grouping.

None of the shooting is that impressive I will admit by most standards, but it sure was fun trying it out.
    Last edited by Alaska_Lanche; 02-18-2011 at 00:32.

where u shooting at?
    Semper Fi!

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

FIVE rifles:

You did good.

It would take me 4 hours to sight in ONE rifle if I was lucky.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Where's the rifle pics??

Looks like fun there Luke. Need to do the same thing myself. My 45-70 slings those LE the same as yours. I think you will be ready and loaded for BEAR.

Nice shooting

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Looks like you had a solid day and are well prepared for whatever you want to take on. Based upon my personal experiences and from everything I've read and seen, the Marlin XL/XS7 line is at least one step higher than its "entry-level" competition.

I'm planning on a range day tomorrow but the winds look like I may have to postpone. Re-scoped two rifles and have four new loads to play with.

Looks like 4 hours well spent. Always nice to come home from the range knowing you have stuff dialed in. It kind of knaws on me knowing I have a rifle scoped and set up, but not sighted in ready for hunting. Good shooting.

Well done for sure!
    I think if you have a good trigger and decent bbl then most guns have far more ability to shoot excellent groups that we imagine. Making sure the shooter is set up correctly will make a huge impact, face tight on gun, sandbags set good, work hard to achieve the same feeling with ea shot...etc...
    Pokin paper can get addictive and adds one more thing to enjoy when hunting seasons are out!
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

Nice job. Looks like your ready for everything from bunnies to brownies!

Good job! I have to go back to the drawing board with one of my .06's as I had great groups with some handloads and then they dropped off this last session and opened up a bit.
    You did good in 4 hours, I'm like Smitty and it would take me 4 hours per rifle! Having the rifles dialed in and good to go is a great feeling which is why I'm climbing out of my skin right now as only one out of my many is ready to roll at the moment.
    Good luck this upcomming season.

Mountaintrekker