Thread: winter storage?

Default winter storage?

i've got a 9.5 foot self bailer and its in my shed, not folded tight but not blown up either..its not heated in there. is this an ok way to store my raft or should it be inside my house or in a heated place?
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Jake, I have an eighteen foot Aire Cat and it has always been stored outside. I bought it new in 95 and is is good to go. One thing I always do is not move it once its frozen. I currently store it in my unheated barn inflated in the rafters.

Jeff

no move..makes sense, thanks jeff
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Outside storage is fine, especially with rubber boats (plastic could conceivably crack in extreme low temps). Don't forget about mice though. They can get in there and bore holes... But mostly this happens with folded boats.

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

I've got friends in the commercial raft business, and they are big believers in using 303 protectant on their boats prior to loosely rolling them up for the off season. I use it on my 19 year old hypalon cataraft and it certainly seems to be helping with its longevity.

Brian

Jake,

As stated your fine. I have all of my boats in out-side storage all folded limitied air on pallets with tarps around them as you know Squarebanks is cold in fact it was -51 the other day at my house. I have been storing them in this manner for 15 years. Once I have them in place I do not move them until that i.e. April and I have never had an issue. The only time I had a slight problem was when I was asisting our local Junior A hockey club with a fund raiser and my son helped out by bringing in a couple of Tom-Cats for kayak raising at the rink between periods. It was 20 below and they were froze he showed up tossed them out of the back of my truck onto the ground. One of of three developed a bladder crack/shatter. I know to much stupid data but great story about how tuff the actaully are most of the time.

Best Wishes.

Moose-O

Probably good to go here...

As Mike related, rodents can do some surprising damage. For example, last spring a couple guys brought a good little Achilles raft/tender into our repair shop that was loosely rolled up outside or in some shed. An Ermine got into it doing substantial damages adding up to fairly extensive and expensive workmanship. Even shrews have a sharp and powerful bite... if they set up a home inside, it's amazing what they can do.

Moving inflatables at extreme cold should be avoided.

Best storage is inside.

Can't emphasize enough (no matter where it's stored) always put it away clean and dry!!!

Using fabric cleaners and protective treatments are also a good way to go before storing you're inflatables.

A boat bag or tarp enchilada covering 'er adds another level of protection.