Thread: Are you ready to fight to preserve what you love?

Default Are you ready to fight to preserve what you love?

That's right... I'm throwing down the gauntlet. Who out there in cyber land, reading these forums, dreaming 'bout fishing this summer, is willing to give up a little time to make a difference in the fisheries? I know there's a ton of fishermen out there who love to whine about fishing being worse than it used to be, about too many regulations, about lack of access, too much access, etc etc... but how many will actually say something about it to the people who matter? Heck, I probably do as much bellyaching about it as any of you!

Well, nows the time to put your man pants on and do something about it! The Board of Fish is the governing body in charge of changing regulations. They meet for the next two weeks in Anchorage, at the Egan Center. The schedule, calendar and proposals being considered are all here.
    They will be restricting sport fishing for kings on the Parks Highway- how much is still unknown. Among the proposals, there may be restrictions on dipnetting, on bait, on silvers, season lengths, and liberalizations in the commercial sphere... in other words catch fewer fish in the rivers while catching more fish at sea- its called allocation, baby!

Public testimony will be allowed Sunday, Monday and Tuesday, Feb 20-22. You will probably have to sit through countless hours of public testimony before you get your 3 minutes of fame; it may cost you a day of sick leave and some gas and parking money. It may seem like you're not heard. But if you're a man or woman with any backbone at all, it shouldn't matter. If you stay on your couch groaning and moaning about the changes in our fisheries, but don't take this opportunity to let the Board know what YOU think of the fishing, then you can KNOW that you weren't heard.

I'll be there. I'll be standing in front of the Board telling them again that big bad floods do big bad things to fish populations, that had they had more foresight in '08 our Chinook might be in better shape. I'll be telling them how important kings and silvers in the rivers of the valley are to the culture, winter food, and economy of the Valley and Anchorage. They'll listen to me politely. But if I alone, out of the 300,000+ Anchorage and 100,000 or so valley residents, stands up there talking, how big an impact does that make? Sure doesn't seem like sportfishing is THAT important, does it? If there's 100 people committing a day or two of their lives to the fight, though, to be able to make a 3 minute statement of their concerns over the fishing, that WILL make an impact. How about 1,000?

Come on sporties, lets take a day out of our lives and try to make a difference. Put your money where your mouth is! See you there!

what time is this goin down on monday? ill be there.

Release Lake Trout

Sign up for testimony must be done by 9am. If a person can't make it in to sign up, but knows someone at the meeting, they can fill out a card and put it in, holding a place for the absent person till they can make it later in the day. The process usually means committing all of a day to be able to speak when its your turn.