Thread: question about colt single action army

Default question about colt single action army

I just ordered a Colt model 1841 S.A.A. from the BX. The problem is I just read through the colt catelog and saw the custom work they will do. I am mainly interested in the engraving.My question is, can you send the gun back to colt to get the engravings done? Or do you have to order it through the custom shop?
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

I'm not sure if you can send it back to Colt for engraving, I'll check andget back to you. I'm not sure whether you know or not but you have an engraver that I would say is better than any Colt has had in a long while who resides in the same town as you. You might want to have him do it, especially if you want something different or original.

My understanding is that Colt will not engrave a production gun, the engraving has to be done before finishing, espiacally the nickel ones. We have 4 engraved Colts in stock, a pair by Jim White ($25K) and a pair by Denise Therion ($16K) so if you would like to look at them, stop by. ASs 1841s are hard to come by, you amy want to change your order and work through the custom shop, or order straight blue guns and have Jim WEhite engrave them

Who is the engraver? I will definetly check that out. I would be nicer to drop it off than have to go through somebody with FFL and get it back in who knows how long from colt, then have to pay somebody with a FFL to get it back.

Jim White in Wasilla does the engraving. to get an engraved nickel gun, you would need to have it in full blue, get jim to engrave it, then have it nickeled

25K and 16K is a little expensive for me, unless you mean 2,500 and 1,600. It is a nickel gun, and it's 2 to 6 months backordered, so I could probably change up the order. Thanks for the info.

His prices are right and those are for pairs but neither pair is your average engraved Colt. The ones by Jim White have over 50 inches of gold wire inlaid in each one if I remember correctly as well as full coverage scroll and some beautiful ladies you'll swear are photographs cut on their cylinders. They are really a sight to behold and you should slide in and check them out sometime. I'm sure a more average run of the mill type pattern would be much cheaper.

Sounds like some beautiful guns. If I had the money I would take em. But I only have about 3,000 to work with. I might just head down there and check them out though. The only problem is, I hate seeing a gun I can't afford. It makes me lay awake at night, trying to work out a way to get them.

Quote Originally Posted by duckslayer56 View Post
    Sounds like some beautiful guns. If I had the money I would take em. But I only have about 3,000 to work with. I might just head down there and check them out though. The only problem is, I hate seeing a gun I can't afford. It makes me lay awake at night, trying to work out a way to get them.

For 3K I could get you a nice SAA

Do you have them in stock, or do you have to order them? I am getting the 1841 for about 1,500. I was thining about getting the engraving done, or buying a schofield with the remainder of the money.

Dude I sell 1841s all day for $1349. But if you are gonna do engraving, order full blues or even better the new stainless ones. All have to be ordered, I only have CC ones and Nickel in stock

I may be down there sometime this week or weekend then to check it out.