Thread: 10 year old wants to go Bunnie Hunting

Default 10 year old wants to go Bunnie Hunting

My boy passed his hunter safety course and wants to go rabbit adn or tramigan hunting. He is very excited to go on his first hunt. We live in Anchorage and I am willing to drive a few hours to take him on his first hunt. Does anyone have any locations that they would be willing to share where he can get some shooting in. We do have snow shoes and are willing to walk. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

I'll take a stab at this, since nobody else will. Just FYI, I think you will find most guys are not going to give up specific spots on the forum. It's kind of like an unspoken rule on here I guess. But, I can see you are trying to get your young boy started out so I will do my best to help you out without giving out any specifics. Basically, if you want to go snowshoe hare hunting, just drive east, north, south or wherever and keep driving until you find rabbit tracks. Look for willows and alders. The rabbit population seems to be dropping right now, but there are still some pockets of them around. As a general rule, the further you are willing to drive, the better the hunting will be. For ptarmigan, you would do better if you have a snowmachine, but as a general rule, head for mountainous terrain. Look for willows close to the treeline in mountain passes and such. Good luck.

Thank you for your response and I will see wha I can do for him.

Frozen over creek beds full of willows seem to hold the largest number of rabbits that I have seen. There are still quite a few around here but they are extremely difficult to see right now with all the snow. I'd find the lowest (in elevation) creek bed you can find with as little snow as possible and start walking. Keep your eyes open for grouse too, i've seen a few out lately while walking the dog, they seem to be a bit more active with a little more light out.

Go out to big lake, right before tesoro (comming from wasilla) turn down beaver lake road, hunt from the first corner all the way to the creek, I ususaly get a few, but they are 70% running shots (really a challenge with a bow, which I have tried, but alot easier and more productive with a shotgun) , but occasionally they stop and give me a good standing shot. I wuldn't usualy give out my spots, but I don't have time to ever hunt any more, and my first rabbit hunt was a BLAST! and I reckon if he can have as much fun as I did, I will gladly give up my spot!

Also, DO NOT take a dog, I tried my lab and they run into thier holes pretty quick.

And as I'm sure you know, don't go spreading around the word of an amazing rabbit huntery.

And, if you can, wait to hunt it till next fall, I have been keeping close tabs on the area, and the rabbits are getting hit hard by eagles and blue and red fox. I am gonna go make a few "helpers" out there to try and boost thier population.

akarrows:

You are much more familiar with your sons stamina then I am of course but I was thinking about my hunting at 10 years old. Just a friendly reminder that "willing to walk" for our legs is different than "willing to walk" for those of an adolescent. I'm experiencing the same thing with my oldest daughter, our outdoor adventures end up being pretty short (for time and travel).

If I were knew a place I would invite you out but I haven't really looked that hard locally yet. Thanks for contributing to the next generation of sportsperson. There is a great disconnect between folks and their food and their past, proudly carry the torch Sir.

johnson pass parking lot is a good place to start thare is a trail not two far and thare are several turn offs in the area between placer river and hope just stay on the nonmotrized side there is also some spots down hope road good luck

Finally got to take my son out and went ot Homer. Lots of rabbits and he got his first game animal ever. Thanks for all of your help. Awsome!

It doesn't count if you don't post some pictures!! Good job.