Thread: new rod

Default new rod

ok guy well i didnt pick up a new rod last fall and ended up getting a new bow and tree stand for bear baiting i think it was a good choice because it would be tuff for me to practise casting in my garage but its long enough to shoot my bow anyway seeing as spring is getting here i am working on getting my boat ready to fish and got the new cabelas fly fishing issue and started thinking i need to get me a new rod here soon i plan on using it for big grayling and i plan on taking it to clear creek this summer also, i am really looking hard at a 5wt 9ft sage vxp every sage i have used i like i have caught tons of fish on my 8 weight and just really like there stuff but i saw cabelas is now selling r.l. winston rods and i had never heard of them before but from what i have read they are a high end rod and the one i was looking at is the gvx 5wt 9 ft. both rods are $495 but you can get the winston in a package with the lamison guru i wanted for $650 the reel itself is $190 plus $60-100 for fly line what would you guys do in my spot the way i see it the sage ready to fish would be about $750.

It would be hard to go wrong with either of the rods you mention. One of my favorite rods is my 9' 6wt St Croix Legend Ultra. I see the five piece 5 wt is on sale for $269 at Cabelas. The Lamson Guru on that rod would make one sweet grayling/trout set up.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Fishi...0;cat105573780

-Dan
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Winston makes great rods, but you might want to cast one before you buy it. I know plenty of folks that don't like the feel of the Winston - it isn't a broomstick, and it takes some fairly good mechanics to move a reasonable amount of line.

Having said that, if you like a rod that does all of the work for you (instead of your poor arm and shoulder), get a Winston. I am up to 13 of them now (BII-x and BII-mx), and I absolutely love them.

For reels, it is tough to beat the Guru...however, Echo is now in the reel business, and they have 2 offerings for the budget-conscious angler. I can't remember the names (Tim just showed me the prototypes last week), but one is retailing for $99 and the other will be something ridiculous, like $39. Couple that with a new Echo III flyrod and one of their new lines (yup, Echo is now making flylines), and you can probably get away from the flyshop for about $400-500 including a dozen flies.

well i was just looking at the winston site and the nearest dealer is 350 miles thats another couple hundred dollars in my truck so it looks like sage or st.croix im gona go see what they have at the only flyshop in town and and see if i can try out the vpx and the Legend Ultra. thanks guys

Ill second the legend ultra. I have 4 or 5 of them now and I really like the feel of them.

For what its worth, the legend elite which is the next step up from the ultra tested out as the 3rd or 4th best rod in that 5wt shootout that happens every year. I know people say to take the results of that with a grain of salt but the legend elite was the cheapest rod in the top 5 by quite a bit I believe.

I just got my first winston the other day and have not had a chance to cast it but have heard amazing things about their rods.

Matt

i am a big st. croix fan, have loved every rod i have cast made by them.

There is a Winston rep in the Anchorage area. If interested pm me and I can hook you up.

George

Sage is great as is G Loomis. I also have an Echo rod thats pretty nice.