Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Where are all the Ruger Redhawks?

Default Where are all the Ruger Redhawks?

Just started looking for a 4" Redhawk. I'd like one in 45 Colt, but they are scarce? I have found one 4" in 44. Have looked in 5 gun stores and called most of the other retailers in Anchorage area with no luck. Anyone seen one either new or used?

I did find a used 4" S&W 500, but not sure the price was reasonable or what the going price is for used X Frames? It looked like a lot of gun to pack, but first class.

Hit the three gun shows next month and you can probably find exactly what you want be it Ruger or S&W. Also good place to compare prices.

There was a 4" .500 S&W on this forum the other day for $750. I would have bought it 'cept I already have one. If you think the difference between a .44 Mag and a loaded up .45 LC is significant go all the way and get a .500 S&W - nothing else you can afford even comes close.

Since you noted the diference between a Ruger and a S&W "First Class" you might want to consider a 629 rather than a Redhawk if you get a .44 mag. A bit lighter and obviously better quality all the way around. When I was selling guns years ago and people asked about the difference between a Ruger and S&W I swung open the cylinders on both and asked them to take a look inside. Sold the S&W about every time.

Quote Originally Posted by HUNTERKJL View Post
    Just started looking for a 4" Redhawk. I'd like one in 45 Colt, but they are scarce? I have found one 4" in 44. Have looked in 5 gun stores and called most of the other retailers in Anchorage area with no luck. Anyone seen one either new or used?

I did find a used 4" S&W 500, but not sure the price was reasonable or what the going price is for used X Frames? It looked like a lot of gun to pack, but first class.
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

The Ruger Redhawk is an excellent working gun. Not as smooth and slick but a real tough handgun. They keep on shooting, no matter the load. I highly recommend it.

Thank's tvfinak,

Maybe I will be patient and see what the gun shows have to offer. I almost bought a Super Blackhawk 44 mag, 4 5/8" barrel, but really want a double action. I already have a Redhawk 44 mag 7.5", but want something 4" no more or less. Honestly, I really liked the feel of the 4" 500 S&W. It was large, but only 10 ounces heavier than a 4" Redhawk and much more power. I hand load so figured I could load up some heavy hard cast to around 1200-1300fps or what ever power level I can comfortably handle and really have a stopper. The price was about 100 more than the one on the forum here, but local.

Default S&w .500

The .500 S&W is a real gun for Alaska. As you note, it isn't much heavier than the Redhawk but the power level is flat awesome. S&W did a real job on the X frame - I'd bet the frame is lighter than a Super Redhawk yet stronger. The X frame is all carefully finished on the inside of the frame as well as the outside - corners are carefully radiused (rounded) to avoid stress points and there are no rough cast surfaces like the Ruger. I appreciate that and it appears you do also. I've let many people shooting Rugers at the ranges shoot my S&W and the reaction has almost universally been "wish I'd waited and got a S&W".

You can get into casting bullets pretty cheaply with the Lee molds and sizing die and liquid Alox. I was pretty surprised how well they worked. The Lee 440 gr. bullet for the .500 is hard to beat - I wish Lyman, RCBS etc. made something comperable.

Thank's tvfinak,

Maybe I will be patient and see what the gun shows have to offer. I almost bought a Super Blackhawk 44 mag, 4 5/8" barrel, but really want a double action. I already have a Redhawk 44 mag 7.5", but want something 4" no more or less. Honestly, I really liked the feel of the 4" 500 S&W. It was large, but only 10 ounces heavier than a 4" Redhawk and much more power. I hand load so figured I could load up some heavy hard cast to around 1200-1300fps or what ever power level I can comfortably handle and really have a stopper. The price was about 100 more than the one on the forum here, but local.
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

"I've let many people shooting Rugers at the ranges shoot my S&W and the reaction has almost universally been "wish I'd waited and got a S&W"."

It's funny, I know so many people who have fired both the S&W, (and the newer Smiths are trash compared to earlier ones, pre 72s) and who have Rugers and Still have the Rugers and use them and enjoy them. The Smiths and the Rugers are both excellent firearms and both work just fine.

How many S&W shooters have you let shoot your Rugers who responded with "I wish I had gotten a Ruger"?

The Rugers are dependable serviceable revolvers althought heavier and clunker than the S&Ws. For people wanting a less expensive gun they may be a good choice. If you call the current S&Ws "'trash" compared to the earlier ones then you must certainly consider all Rugers as trash compared to the S&Ws?

Quote Originally Posted by mauserboy View Post
    "I've let many people shooting Rugers at the ranges shoot my S&W and the reaction has almost universally been "wish I'd waited and got a S&W"."

It's funny, I know so many people who have fired both the S&W, (and the newer Smiths are trash compared to earlier ones, pre 72s) and who have Rugers and Still have the Rugers and use them and enjoy them. The Smiths and the Rugers are both excellent firearms and both work just fine.

Not many S&W shooters are, fortunately, too snooty to lower themselves to shoot a Ruger, kind of like yourself. I've had many friends and range acquaintances who have their own and have shot my Rugers and not gone into cardiac arrest. I like both Rugers and S&Ws, have owned lots of both. There was a time when I had a nice collection of large hand ejector framed S&Ws, including a New century and a 1950 model .44 Spl. Ever heard of a 38 Perfected model Smith? I don't consider myself the be all, end all expert on either, unlike some of us. Reminds me of Mercedes Benz owners. It's a fine vehicle, but no need for it being considered the very best, better than your car, mate. I really shouldn't waste my time with resisting your snobbish attitudes. It's a waste of time. But you really are a fine haired sob, just in my opinion, of course. Do you own a Mercedes?

I bought a 4" redhawk 44 and sent it to mag-na-port it still might not be as smooth as a smith but its close

Brian

Smith does make a **** fine pistol if you can find a pre lock. I really like smith pre locks but can't stand the lawyer lock crap they put on them. Smiths usually have a better factory trigger and fit and finish on the older ones are better IMO but for a carry piece I like the Ruger 10 fold because they cost less are more durable when it comes to hot loads and it doesn't hurt to get one dirty or scratched. They are both excellent pistols. Smith is a range only or tort folks see it and envy you the Ruger is a workin mans piece the more used the better it looks and feels. I love both but both have thier issues. Smith and Ruger should combine both of their ideas and make a Smith & Ruger revolver with the best of both of theirs features

Have I damaged a S&W with hot loads in .44? Yes. Did my Redhawk handle those same loads for years after that. Yes. That was 20 years ago. Now, with larger rounds available and larger pistols available, the need to hotrod a .44mag isn't really needed. Some of us are simply not interested in pistols that weigh 5lbs. at that point I just start carrying my shotgun. A nice handy 4" revolver in 45colt is nice to have. Cheap to shoot, easily downloaded, and easily loaded hot with the right pistol. S&W doesn't offer such a pistol so you are going to have to go with a Ruger. To me, that's not such a bad thing.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Boy - not sure where all the "snooty" stuff comes from - you don't know even know me! You seem to have a tendency to throw insults around pretty liberaily - sit back and take a deep breath - anger will only kill 'ya.

Actually I own a fair number of Rugers - both short and long guns. I shoot others' guns - including Rugers - whenever I get the chance. To me the Ruger DA revolvers feel clunky - that comes from experience. I tend to shoot what I carry - and that is either a 629, 329 PD, or .500. If Ruger ever make a .454 Redhawk avaliable I'd consider buying one - but a Redhawk .44 offers me no advantage over my 629 and comes with a weight penality. As for the .45 LC Redhawk - if I need something marginally more powerfull than a .44 I'll just carry my .500.

Ruger started making their DA revolvers as "value" guns - they were significantly cheaper than the S&W competition while being rugged and reliable. At the same time they were heavier, more clunky, and didn't have the fit or finish. Part of the difference is the use of investment castings for the frames - a cheaper way but with the penality of bulk and weight. My problem with Rugers today is that the prices have increased drastically along with the S&Ws but the percentage differential has narrowed significantly - in my eyes Ruger DA revolvers a no longer offer the budget advantage they once did - so I recommend S&W to new buyers. It's a matter of value - not snobbery! If I run across a good deal on a Ruger I'll continue to buy them - but if I can get something better for a few more bucks I'll go for the better quality gun. I'll buy Mdl 77 in the $300 range but at $600 I'll go with a Win 70 Classic.

As to cars - I a drive beat up 2000 Ford Explorer I bought used - like most of my guns. I don't think the Mercedes - and I've never owned one- offer the advantage they once did as some American cars have come up a long way in quality and value. I also prefer to buy American products and I can also get less expensive repair parts and repairs to not too tough in most cases. I also own a 04 Ford pickup - you can't get much more down to earth than that.

Quote Originally Posted by mauserboy View Post
    Not many S&W shooters are, fortunately, too snooty to lower themselves to shoot a Ruger, kind of like yourself. I've had many friends and range acquaintances who have their own and have shot my Rugers and not gone into cardiac arrest. I like both Rugers and S&Ws, have owned lots of both. There was a time when I had a nice collection of large hand ejector framed S&Ws, including a New century and a 1950 model .44 Spl. Ever heard of a 38 Perfected model Smith? I don't consider myself the be all, end all expert on either, unlike some of us. Reminds me of Mercedes Benz owners. It's a fine vehicle, but no need for it being considered the very best, better than your car, mate. I really shouldn't waste my time with resisting your snobbish attitudes. It's a waste of time. But you really are a fine haired sob, just in my opinion, of course. Do you own a Mercedes?

Hard to believe you own Rugers. Now nothing makes sense. You're always saying how S&Ws are better guns, how they hold up as well, how Rugers are crude, but now I find you own some. Go figure.

Well, my 2 cents worth is I like both Ruger and S&W's and never intended on starting a which is better or worse thread. Many good points made for both brands though. I love my Redhawk 44 7.5", about 1983 era as I went with my Pop to pick it up at a gun show. I also have a S&W Mod 25-5 bought new about the same time. Ruger is much stonger, but S&W is much slicker, smoother, ect.. I think the new S&W's are probably just as good if not better than the older ones. My 25-5 has the pinned barrel, firing pin on hammer that can break easily, also is the N frame supposedly not heat treated like the Mod 29. I guess I buy into the theory that the firearms industry has made great strides in metals and alloys allowing them to build super light weight hand guns compared to guns just 20 or 30 years ago.

As to which to buy, I would like to have both as a guy can't have too many! I know cost of everything has went up, but the price on Redhawks has spiked fairly steeply from what I can tell. Cheapest I can find online or local is just under $700 when not long ago they were around five and a half? Maybe the popularity of the new Super Redhawk Alaskans, or maybe supply is not keeping up with demand? (There sure ain't alot of them around other than the long barreled varieties)

As for the X frames, that has to be the top of the heap on power and performance for double action if one can handle the recoil. I will admit I have only shot one, a performance center 460 with short barrel about 2 1/2 inch? It was doable as far as recoil, but with the rear sight all the way down, it was still hitting 4-6" high at 25 yards. I thought the barrel was too short, just like the Gary Reeder Nighthawk I had in 41 GNR with 2" barrel built on a Redhawk 41 mag. It was a blast to shoot literally with 29 grains of H110 under a 170gr Sierre JSP! Probably half of that powder was burning outside the barrel and is the reason I want something right at about 4 inches. Kind of tainted my opinions on magnum big bore snubbies & why I don't opt for one of the Redhawk Alaskans.

I know the debate could go back and forth, but anyone ever shoot a Colt Python! Wow, the ultimate in slickness/smoothness/niceness, though not as strong as comparible S&W 357's of the time.

I was did a search on Gunbroker earlier today and looked a Redhawks and 629s. Lot more 629s for sale but seller wanted almost as much for the Rugers! I didn't do a search thoough completed sales however to see what actually sold.

While we all admire the craftsmanship of days past there have been some big improvements in both materials and prcision of machining in the past few decades as you mention. Atually the fit and finish on the new S&Ws is pretty dang good - I just fish they would go back to the old rust blued finish - it adds a certain touch of class nothing else can match.

The titanium and alloy guns are a real advancement - I used to carry my 4" Mdl 29 in my filed jacket pocket but I can carry my 329 PD in my rear jeans pocket or a light jacket pocket.

I got my first S&W - a 5 screw 4" Mdl 28 when I was in high school on the early 60s. I threw a lot of newpapers to pay for that one and I've kept it this day. I wanted a .44 mag when they came out and traded some guns for a new Ruger SBH sometime in the late 60s- I don't recall what I traded it off for or when but when I graduated from college in '69 I ended up with a flat top .44 Ruger for $65. After I had worked a few years I got a dealer to get me a Mdl 29 but it was in 4" - this was the Dirty Harry era and all the long barrels were in high demand. Don't remember what I did with it but when I came to AK in '81 I need a .44 again. I picked up another .44 flat top from GNGs and carried it for a while- I also still have it.

I traded in and out of various guns and broke down and got my current 6" 629-2 Classic sometime around 1990. It is one of the few guns I bought new and I've shot it a great deal - one of my "go to" guns. I've also picked up a number of other early 29s etc when I run across a deal on them but the 629 is still my 44 shooter.

The 4" .500 is the real beast and a blast to shoot. I shoot the 440 gr bullets out of the Lee mold ahead of 38 to 40 grs of H110. It has taken quite some time to even begin to master the beast but I love a challenge. I've only put around 500 rds or so through it but that is a lot for a .500 - even with handloads it isn't cheap to shoot. I also shoot it single handed only - for a bear defense gun I figure I'll be lucky to get one hand on the gun in a hurry.

I've had several Pythons and they do define slickness and smoothness. Unfortunately they aren't know for durabilty and are apparently a bugger to work on. My 629 was great out of the box and it hasn't changed in over 20 years of shooting.

Well, my 2 cents worth is I like both Ruger and S&W's and never intended on starting a which is better or worse thread. Many good points made for both brands though. I love my Redhawk 44 7.5", about 1983 era as I went with my Pop to pick it up at a gun show. I also have a S&W Mod 25-5 bought new about the same time. Ruger is much stonger, but S&W is much slicker, smoother, ect.. I think the new S&W's are probably just as good if not better than the older ones. My 25-5 has the pinned barrel, firing pin on hammer that can break easily, also is the N frame supposedly not heat treated like the Mod 29. I guess I buy into the theory that the firearms industry has made great strides in metals and alloys allowing them to build super light weight hand guns compared to guns just 20 or 30 years ago.

As to which to buy, I would like to have both as a guy can't have too many! I know cost of everything has went up, but the price on Redhawks has spiked fairly steeply from what I can tell. Cheapest I can find online or local is just under $700 when not long ago they were around five and a half? Maybe the popularity of the new Super Redhawk Alaskans, or maybe supply is not keeping up with demand? (There sure ain't alot of them around other than the long barreled varieties)

As for the X frames, that has to be the top of the heap on power and performance for double action if one can handle the recoil. I will admit I have only shot one, a performance center 460 with short barrel about 2 1/2 inch? It was doable as far as recoil, but with the rear sight all the way down, it was still hitting 4-6" high at 25 yards. I thought the barrel was too short, just like the Gary Reeder Nighthawk I had in 41 GNR with 2" barrel built on a Redhawk 41 mag. It was a blast to shoot literally with 29 grains of H110 under a 170gr Sierre JSP! Probably half of that powder was burning outside the barrel and is the reason I want something right at about 4 inches. Kind of tainted my opinions on magnum big bore snubbies & why I don't opt for one of the Redhawk Alaskans.

I know the debate could go back and forth, but anyone ever shoot a Colt Python! Wow, the ultimate in slickness/smoothness/niceness, though not as strong as comparible S&W 357's of the time.

Yea, my son picked up a deal on a 629-??, it does have the lock, and it is a fine shooter. I have some good Arizona loads worked up for it with Speer 270gr GDSP, but need to get a good hard cast bullet load worked up for AK. My Redhawk loves the Cast Perf 320's with H110 and has produced at least a couple of 6 shot groups that are all just about touching at 25 yards. Unfortunately, my eyes and skills are not good enough to shoot like that often!

Ain't been through quite as many handguns as you have, but I can think of several I let get away. A model 57 S&W 4" I ordered new in 1983 while in boot camp (good old days when my Pop had an FFL). My first leave from basic/AIT, first time out and she shot good except it would bind up in double action mode?? Sent it back to factory and they must have done an action job on it because when it came back, it was slick as butter! Still regret selling that one, but growing family has needs. I also should have kept my 44 Blackhawk centennial edition which had the 200 year anniversity stuff stamped on it?

So what kind of velocity do you get from the 440's and can they be loaded down?

Tried to pm you, but your inbox is full.

I like S&Ws and I like Rugers. Right now I own one of each in .44 mag. I have never understood what the heck goes on at Ruger. Do they have contests to see who can come up with the Ugliest Gun? Rugers can look elegant, Ham Bowen has proved that. And why did it take so long to come out with a 4" Redhawk? I've always felt that Ruger really didn't care about their customers, that they had a "Here's a gun we made. If you like it, fine. If you don't like it, we don't care." attitude. I've also felt that they also had a "We're taking a popular gun you like out of production 'cause we want to" attitude, but that's just me

All that said, I plan to buy a Ruger Super Redhawk next-one they don't make anymore!
    I may be slow, but I get where I'm going!

I am wondering if the shortage of 4" Redhawks is related to the back log they have encountered with the Alaskan model. Seems I have read about alot of folks looking for the 454 Alaskan and being told it could be 6 months to get it in their hands. Or maybe they are getting behind in revolver production as they ramp up all the new SR9's, 40's ect... When I lived in Flagstaff, I contacted them to see if I could get a visiter tour thru their Prescott plant, but the said it was not allowed much to my dissapointment.

I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I have a 4" GP100 that does not have the racey lines of a 686 Smith, but it is a massive beast of a 357. I need to get some 200gr heavy cast loads cooked up for it as well. I know it is light for up here (Smitty of The North thread) but it's packable and fun to shoot.

I have the locks on my X frames and 329 PD and haven't had any issue with them - I guess I should check them and make certain they are all tightly unlocked. I just left them like they were when I got the guns. If there is any looseness I'll locktite them in the unlocked position. Guess i need to figure out where the keys are next.

I've been shooting the bullets from the Lee 310 gr. mold in my .44s. I size them to .430 and seat them out until they will just chamber. Sizing them to .430 seem to be quite a bit of size reduction already but I may try .429 next time I size a bunch. I've been using a 2 cavity mold but I've just gotten a 6 cavity - I'll see what diameter they cast out at. Next mold may be a Lyman - I understand they come out at around 320 gr. I've been loading 18 to 20 grs of H110 and Litle'gun with the bullets seated way out but may be too heavy for other guns - or Rugers may take much much more of course

The 440 gr .500 bullets out of the Lee molds are the only affordable option I've found so far and seem to work fine on paper. The last batch I cast were apparently out of range recovered lead instead of wheel weights and I did get a bit of leading. Back to wheel weights for the next batch. I load the bullets as far out as possible - like the .44s - as the .500 cylinder is pretty long. I may have one of the custom molds make with a reduced diameter front band so I can load them out even more and increase the powder charge. Not sure why S&W didn't make the .500 case longer to utilize the long cylinder.

I've been using the jacketed bullet compensator for the .500 for my cast bullets with no issues so far. The jacketed bullet compensator has ports on top and appears to reduce the muzzle flip but it does leave a mess on top of the barrel around the front sight. I've also been stuck in the face by small particles of something a few times but they didn't leave a mark so I don't see them as a danger as I always wear glasses. For those that don't wear glasses when hunting it could be a hazard I assume.

Over the years I've found the .44 Mags to have better accuracy and less issues with leading etc. than the .357s. After I got my first .44 I just all but abandoned shooting the .357s. Now that I have a nice Mdl 27 I'll give the .357 a try again when I get time. I also picked up a neat little Mdl 60 in .357 but it is a nasty little piece to shoot. Some day I'll pick up a titanium .357 as a carry gun but in Alaska my 329 PD works just fine.

I haven chrographed any of the .500 or .44 loads so far. As the weather starts to break up here I'll give it a try in the next month or two. Have to be real careful with the .500 - the muzzle blast is incrediable.

Emptied my PM box - should be some space now.

Yea, my son picked up a deal on a 629-??, it does have the lock, and it is a fine shooter. I have some good Arizona loads worked up for it with Speer 270gr GDSP, but need to get a good hard cast bullet load worked up for AK. My Redhawk loves the Cast Perf 320's with H110 and has produced at least a couple of 6 shot groups that are all just about touching at 25 yards. Unfortunately, my eyes and skills are not good enough to shoot like that often!

Ain't been through quite as many handguns as you have, but I can think of several I let get away. A model 57 S&W 4" I ordered new in 1983 while in boot camp (good old days when my Pop had an FFL). My first leave from basic/AIT, first time out and she shot good except it would bind up in double action mode?? Sent it back to factory and they must have done an action job on it because when it came back, it was slick as butter! Still regret selling that one, but growing family has needs. I also should have kept my 44 Blackhawk centennial edition which had the 200 year anniversity stuff stamped on it?

So what kind of velocity do you get from the 440's and can they be loaded down?

Tried to pm you, but your inbox is full.

Back in January I did a full court press trying to find a 4" or 5.5" Redhawk in 44 Mag. None of the gun dealers in ND had either one, and a check with their distributor found the cupboard bare as well. Hell if I know why, but there it was. Ended up settling (if that word even applies) for a 6" 629, instead...

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast