Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What trap size?

Default What trap size?

So I guess I will start out by saying its been a great first year trapping in AK and I have learned a lot! So its the end of the season for me and I'm already starting to think of what I need to start buying for next year. I'm thinking more long springs and 330's. Both of these will be for land sets for lynx and wolverine. The longsprings, I mostly trap bait piles so you really don't ever know whats going to hit the set. I've been thinking of #4's. I figure they can hold anything from a fox to a wolf. Then I thought maybe should get #5's but that may break the leg bone on a lynx or fox. Then the question of gap or no gap. A buddy at work said no gap because he thinks it allows for more leg/hide damage because of movement. I have always used #3 Northwoods coils. Im keeping these in action but deeper snow is one of the reason I'm also wanting a little larger traps.

thanks

ya know i was a long spring guy until this year year and i went with some MB650 and Bridger 2's that were four coiled. i won't go back to long springs.
    For what your looking for, the mb750 with an offset jaw would work just fine, bridger 5's off set would work well too. 4's might start hinging on the small size for wolf. i held wolverine this year in the four coiled Bridger 2's and in the 650's as well as lynx.
    I like the offset because i think it does less damage, bigger traps with stronger springs slamming shut on small bones..not pretty. once the bone breaks and breaks the skin, better chance of a critter rippin' it off. i like the leg to be held not pinched/crushed so much. and its better on YOUR FINGERs too!!
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

I bought a couple 650's and used them this winter and really liked them except the fact that the coils can freeze easier than long springs. In terms of power I think anything that is able to get is foot in the gap of an MB is going to be stuck in it. I wouldn't be surprised it a 650 would hold a large wolf if its paw fit, the power is them in next to none! I do agree with the gap, I just put that out there because of what one of the guys I work with was telling me. Anyone ever get a fox in a 650 or 750? What kind of damage? I also use solid stakes, no drags.

thanks!

MB's are no doubt a fine strong trap that is built better then Bridgers but they cost alot more. If money is no problem then buy them up and you will be happy for many years. There are few sets or I guess I should say "locations" that you will have equal success catching fox, lynx, wolverine and wolves. There are exceptions like setting bait piles or kills but you won't be setting a whole lot of those. If you are looking for a good all around trap that you could use at different locations and different species, then go with the MB's and yes, go with offsets, they do alot less damage. I use Bridger #3's and I 4 coil them for fox, coyotes and lynx. For the price they are a good strong trap that works great in trail sets and cubby's. They will even hold a wolverine most cases. For wolves at bait sets,pee sets and kills where you have the chance at other species I then set MB750's.

we got fox in 650 and 750 this year, damage was minimal. frozen foot was about it.
    Master guide 212

What about the Sleepy Creek Trap Line? I'm looking at an off set #4.5 double long spring. get them around 30 each by the dozen. Nice 7.5" jaw. I really do like the MB's but I HATE how you have to set them, I've almost got my self a few time, with that said I love the flat pan set and the simple pan tension adjustment. The more I think about it the more questions I get in my head.

if you don't like the setting for the MB go with the bridger. wtih a double long the size of the 4.5 think of how you are going to transport them and how many you can actually carry. they'll take up alot of room at a cubby set too, more trap to bed.
    Master guide 212

Supporting Member

Know what you mean about setting those MB-650's. Goes against everything you ever learned about setting traps and not reaching between the jaws. I ordered the setting tools they make specifically for the 650's and they are a dream to set and you'll never run the risk of pinching yourself again. Cheap too!

With the MB trap setters you dont have to reach into the jaws? I really like how flat they bed. I'm leaning toward those. I guess I never jump straight to my check book with $400 checks. I like to find out the little details and get peoples opinions. I do understand what you are saying about the weight, most of my sets are carried in on my back with snowshoes.

ohhh no you still have to reach inside them with setters, but alot of guys just bend a wire or something and use to pull the pan up...no matter how you slice it, somethings gotta be inbetween those jaws!! had a 750 slip off the setters and jump right up at my crotch one day....nooooo man i wasn't happy!! shot those setters about 6 feet into the air, lucky they missed my face.
    bridgers have a free jaw..much safter but not as flat as the 650
    Master guide 212

I have been reading this post for a few days and have not replied yet. Can't stand it any longer. I use several of the MB traps in sizes of 450, 550, and 650's. The 450's and 550's have a free jaw and are easy to set and come with a nite latch on the dog out of the box. Both of these sizes I have have the cast jaws. The 650's I have use the laminated jaws, some inside and some outside and I do not favor one over the other. These traps were not available with cast jaws when i got my traps but when I need to add more to my line I will get the ones with the cast jaws. I trap off of a 4 wheeler and do not get a lot of snow in my area. I made a trap setter for the 650's and fastened it to my front rack. It works very good and leaves both my hands free to set the trap. I do not know how to post pictures and do not have any of the setter but will take some if someone wants to post them for me. I know how to e-mail pictures but do not know how to get them on these posts. A buddy of mine borrowed my setter and had him two made and had them welded to a piece of 2 inch tubing. They fit in a hitch on the back of a truck and work well also. These setters are to big and heavy to carry around but work great if you have something to fasten them to. As for the MB traps I have not found a better trap yet and probally will never look for one. They serve me well.

Thanks for the info, I would love to see those setters. I have a couple 650's with the cast jaws that I used this year on my line. I wasn't fortunate enough to get anything in one but really did like it. I think I just need some setters. A pain in the backside trying to compact snow on the ground and step on the sides of it to set it. Once they are set I have never worked with a trap that looks as good as they do and beds as easy. My only real reason for thinking of a long spring was they don't freeze to the ground.

I will try to remember to take pictures in the morning. It will be tomorrow evening before I can get back to you. My 4 wheeler and setter is at a guys house where I am trapping. They work good if you have something to fasten them to.

Teacherman you have a pm on the way. If you will reply I will send the pictures. If you know how please post them on here. Thanks!

i did not read the whole thread just the orginal post so dont bag me if it was already said..but a #4 is complete over kill on fox, ive taken many fox in #3's and even a #3 results in alot of broken legs. for fox and coyote and strong #2 is fine..

if you get #4 or #3 then make sure they are offset or you will see alot of broken fox legs

this is comin from a guy that only traps a handful of fox every year though

ill pm you some pictures of the damage a #3 can do to a fox leg
    Last edited by lbtrapper; 02-21-2011 at 17:22. Reason: spelling

i carry a board to set all my traps on...works well.
    Master guide 212

If you are going to use the MB 750's for wolves, you had better make sure you can have "foot placement" exact. If not, you will be educating wolves. If you are in an area where the snow crusts up hard, forget it. If you aren't after wolves, just go with the bridger #3 or #4 coils. If you are serious about wolves, get some #9's. The only way to go.

Quote Originally Posted by northway View Post
    If you are going to use the MB 750's for wolves, you had better make sure you can have "foot placement" exact. If not, you will be educating wolves. If you are in an area where the snow crusts up hard, forget it. If you aren't after wolves, just go with the bridger #3 or #4 coils. If you are serious about wolves, get some #9's. The only way to go.
    I agree with Northway, if your after wolves, go with the 9's.
    Pass it on, take a child hunting, fishing or trapping.

I too have been looking at this thread so my .02 cents
    If your looking and needing a wolf traps go with the number 9s the catch ratio is way up there. Iv'e caught lots of wolves in mb 750s and they work fine. I tested them for Tim C. when they first were getting going. Theres a lots of adjustments that go into building a trap theres more to it than you think. It has to do with levers,lever hight,base flex,gap in jaws,lever postions when levers are at full close,gap in levers with jaw space. I don't like a trap that has high levers..to many misses my opionion.. I have lots of pictures of trap adjustments. Some catches were in his broucher of trapped Alaska wolves. Cavens MB products are great built by a trapper for a trapper.
    With that said they are no number 9... I do like my 9s only way to go. It comes down to catch ratio for me of every 10 traps snapped by wolves how many are there when you show up. Odds are good with a 9... it will be there, the other traps out there the catch ratio is way down... to much for me. Number 9s all the way.
    I also like the Victor line of traps the new number 4 coil round jaw.. no offset.. is a great cat trap.. also coyote and wolverine it's ok. A mini 9.. As for fox go with a number 3 or 2 Victor or Bridger.
    I have Victor traps 30 years old and still going strong Take care of them and they'll last a life time.

I appreciate the info! So really what makes a set a "wolf set" compared to a "lynx set"??? Serious question, cubbies for lynx hanging baits for wolves? Thanks guys, this may answer all my questions at least for a few minutes. I've been trying to think of a trap thinking all animals are going to come into the set when really how you make the set will adjust for what comes in and I could make a couple sets in an area animal specific.

thanks again

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast