Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I'm going fishing!

Default I'm going fishing!

a stickey would be great....I'd be willing to take Afganistan and Iraq vets on the Kenai.......

Default Going Fishing

As one of these so called "starving college students" I would love the opportunity to fish some places either by boat or just by knowledge that I would never be able to find by myself. I have been a seasonal trail crew member in Denali for the past 2 years and continuing this summer(nothing like swinging a pulaski all day to pay for you degree). I'd love a sticky to browse for any extra opportunity to get on the water. I'd pay for gas/bait/paint your house/build you a deck, anything to try something new.

************************************************** ************************************************** ************

I have a boat, seats 4, has top. Fish for anything, but actively pursue pike and lakers. Love to explore and just run the waterways. Another person always welcome if I have an open seat. My problem is that I usually have a seat open with very little advance notice. Must like dog(s) and not too grumpy when woke up early.

************************************************** ************************************************** ************

I've been coming to Alaska to do boat research since the early 1970s, and wish I could have asked for a seat on a few of those trips. I often get weathered in, or am waiting for a boat and have a day or two dead time in Homer or Seward or Kodiak........it kills me to not take a charter, but I've never felt like I had the $150, or $300, or whatever.

I'd appreciate being able to ask for a seat if I ever find myself shorebound again. I'd kick in $50 or $100 for bait and fuel for a good trip. Woudn't always have my gear with me, but I could if I planned in advance.

I'd love to get our for some halibut or salmon. I think I'll have a trip up to either Homer or Seward this summer for a charter using a scanning sonar to water halibut hook attacks. I'll probably have a day free somewhere.

There has been a few times this past summer that I had a seat or two open when going out of Whittier. Someone sharing costs would be great. I would even take a Afghanistan or "Sand Box" veteran for free just to say thank you!

Last edited by Daveinthebush; 02-26-2007 at 22:22. Reason: Consolidate

Thumbs up I'm Going Fishing!

The purpose of this thread is to help find partners to fish with. Please try to post in the following manner.

***** Sample *****

Date: Heading out this Sat. morning the 24th
    (On Sunday I will delete the post so that we do not end up with a 49 page post and people do not have to search all over the place.)

Where: Heading to Whittier

For: Going out for halibut and some rock fish, might drop the shrimp pots off too. Or, Going dip netting on the Copper River.

Returning: Late in the evening, maybe not till after 9 pm if the weather is good.

Bring: Your lunch, rod, Mariah Carey, bait.....

Sharing: Gas and tunnel fees.

Special Notes: Would really like to take a soldier fishing. Or, One or two children can go too. Or, have room for three.

Please PM me before Thursday.

***** Please edit your post as soon as someone commits to going so we do not have a lot of extra PM's flying around.*****

Any suggestions to add to this page?

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Thumbs up Great Idea!

This is is an excellent idea for those of us that can't afford a boat but will gladly split costs for an extra seat. I will be looking to go with someone every weekend this summer. I still haven't met anyone that fishes the crazy hours like I do. This should be good for people to meet and become fishing buddies.

My buddy and I will be in alakas for 10 days and will have 4-5 self fishing days and would love to join some locals for a great day of fishing!

Default howdy...new poster

Hi,
    This is my introductory post to your group. I live in Seattle, and have been coming to Alaska for mostly research since 1972. I first worked for NMFS in the Gulf and Bering Sea doing trawl charters, had a bit of a hiatus where I crewed halibut in Southeast fishing all over the place, and for the last 20 years I've been a jack-of-all-trades for the Halibut Commission. My projects have been all over the board, but have included using hook timers, underwater camera studies looking at halibut hooking behavior, tag studies to predict release mortality from hooks, early life history rearing studies, and recently a long process figuring out how to use pit tags in halibut. Along the way I've enjoyed sport fishing for salmon, a little bit in Alaska, but mostly in Washington state. I've always been too cheap to hire a charter, but may post here looking for a 'open seat' if I find myself with a day or two free.

Question

Quote Originally Posted by AKBassking View Post
    As one of these so called "starving college students" I would love the opportunity to fish some places either by boat or just by knowledge that I would never be able to find by myself. I have been a seasonal trail crew member in Denali for the past 2 years and continuing this summer(nothing like swinging a pulaski all day to pay for you degree). I'd love a sticky to browse for any extra opportunity to get on the water. I'd pay for gas/bait/paint your house/build you a deck, anything to try something new.

I have a boat, seats 4, has top. Fish for anything, but actively pursue pike and lakers. Love to explore and just run the waterways. Another person always welcome if I have an open seat. My problem is that I usually have a seat open with very little advance notice. Must like dog(s) and not too grumpy when woke up early.

I've been coming to Alaska to do boat research since the early 1970s, and wish I could have asked for a seat on a few of those trips. I often get weathered in, or am waiting for a boat and have a day or two dead time in Homer or Seward or Kodiak........it kills me to not take a charter, but I've never felt like I had the $150, or $300, or whatever.

I'd appreciate being able to ask for a seat if I ever find myself shorebound again. I'd kick in $50 or $100 for bait and fuel for a good trip. Woudn't always have my gear with me, but I could if I planned in advance.

I'd love to get our for some halibut or salmon. I think I'll have a trip up to either Homer or Seward this summer for a charter using a scanning sonar to water halibut hook attacks. I'll probably have a day free somewhere.

I've taken a couple folks out in Seattle that I met after posting a seat on gamefishin.com. That seems more of a Puget Sound group than Ifish. I post on both.

This is a nice group. I'm glad I found it.

There has been a few times this past summer that I had a seat or two open when going out of Whittier. Someone sharing costs would be great. I would even take a Afghanistan or "Sand Box" veteran for free just to say thank you!

Good idea. Boy these forums get addictive. My wife is now claiming she is a forum "widow"! But I have caught her here looking at recipes and the fishing forum as I am lucky and have a lady who loves to fish!
    Something srewy here! I didn't write this!

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
    MMSI# 338131469
    Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/

Default something screwy

I know. I did. At least most of the middle stuff paragraphs 3-7. I didn't say anything cause I figured it wasn't worth fixing, I wasn't asking for an open seat so much as saying there were times when it would be nice to be able to ask. Clean up or delete as you see fit......for some reason it's attached to you!

Default Reposting

If anyone had a post that got combined with AKBasskings up above could make a repost of their offes it would be appreciated. There was a glitch on Sunday with a Sticky, someone could not see it, then it dissappeared, reappeared down below and then we find it combined up here. Hopefully the glitch is gone now.

I will delete his in a week or so after people repost. Sorry for the inconvience.

Talking repost from the mixup

I'm guessing I am the only one whose post got mixed up. Might have been my fault, I don't know. I was posting this as a hello, and just saying that I'd like to look for open seats sometimes.

I've taken a couple folks out in Seattle that I met after posting a seat on gamefishin.com. That seems more of a Puget Sound group than Ifish. I post on both.

This is a nice group. I'm glad I found it.

Default A word of caution and an Offer...

Hi Everyone!

First a brief word of caution: It's already been brought up that guides might not like this idea too much. With all the political BS going on over commercial vs. guided vs. unguided sportfishing, this concept is going to piss a LOT of guides and commercial guys off. Federal and State law seem to differ a bit as to what constitutes "sport fishing" (vs. commercial) and whether there's a difference between "guided" and "un-guided".

Having said all of that, I'm fairly moderate on the whole issue (read: My wife made me promise to stay out of the politics in order to keep my blood pressure to survivable levels!)

Here's my offer if anyone's wandering through the Juneau area: Any of the charter trips that I've posted as "Space Available" on my website can be filled by Forum Members at cost - I don't burn too much fuel (10-15 GPH) and bait is cheap. My only request is that anyone taking me up on the offer be willing to get bumped if a full-fare paying customer comes along. I'm new to the forum and don't want to step on any toes... Is it okay to post the website address for contact? Even if not, I'm a fairly easy guy to track down!

My deckhand and I also do a grotesque number of "fun" trips for friends and family. Especially when the sun is out or the fish are biting ravenously (you know... the days when coho just jump in the boat!) These trips usually don't have much advanced planning involved, but a cost-sharing seat-filling nice-person would certainly be welcome to come along.

Wow... did I just whore out the entire Juneau charter market? I really just wanna fish and have fun, but my wife won't let me keep doing it if it costs too much of her hard earned money! ;-)

-Case

Wow. I can't imagine more than a couple or few dozen people even participating in this, even fewer on a regular basis. I really can't imagine that "pissing off a LOT of guides". And I can't see how on earth the commercial fishermen would give the idea even a passing glance.

I never thought a charter service would attempt to adverstise on this thread for open seats.
    "The Gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men's lives the hours spent in fishing" Assyrian Tablet 2000 B.C.

Default guides

I'm a guide... it doesn't bother me at all. There are plenty of clients to go around. I might even use the thread myself.

A group of us will be in the Soldotna area again this year for 2-3 weeks in July and we always have plenty of room for 1-2 other anglers. I will make a posting as we get closer as well as when we are in town.

Doug

Red face $.02

Hi Guys, gals, anglers,
    I like the idea and am for the most part open to it, like some others have said I might even take part in it as well.
    Here is where I see that we may have problems with this, especially in certain areas of the state.
    When a person comes on this thread each week...twice a month offering seats for gas and bait....well that is taking compensation for sport fishing activities and that is guideing. I don't think any one is going to object to the ocassional outing but each time you come on and ask for something of monetary value in return for an outing you might as well be guideing and I think johnny law will probably agree. I think you all might see a crack down on this in the deep creek and kenai areas....but thats a different post.
    In my opninion you bought the boat, you know the costs, and you should be prepared to pay for that if you want to use it. If you happen to take joe, and billy bob because you are bored and want a fishing buddy, and they happen to say soemwhere along the line, hey we would love to give you some change for gas than by all means what a nice gesture on behalf of both parties.
    I am not suggesting any one will take advantage of this thread, but I would hate to see one taking advantage of this trying to pay for their boat on someone elses dime.
    Good luck out there, be safe and I will see you on the water.

The USCG has clarified their definition of "passenger for hire" such that someone may cover any expenses for a boat trip (fuel, lunch, etc.) as long as that expense isn't a required condition of the trip. ADF&G then defines a charter boat as one from which passengers for hire conduct their sport fishing activities. This is my point (from above) about conflicting opinions as to what is "commercial" activity and what isn't.

Commercial halibut fishing interests would love to see charters classified as commercial so we can buy some of their IFQ shares. ADF&G just separated charter boats from the commercial fleet a few years ago. Federal Law says that charter boats carry sport anglers who do sport fishing things from the charter boat.

It's all quite confusing to me. It's all very political and frustrating to me (and my blood pressure!) Seems to me the safest bet is to have a capt. license and be a guide, that way you're following "the rules" whenever people are on board, regardless of how much they pay or don't pay.

-Case

Quote Originally Posted by Clice View Post
    Hi Guys, gals, anglers,
    I like the idea and am for the most part open to it, like some others have said I might even take part in it as well.
    Here is where I see that we may have problems with this, especially in certain areas of the state.
    When a person comes on this thread each week...twice a month offering seats for gas and bait....well that is taking compensation for sport fishing activities and that is guideing. I don't think any one is going to object to the ocassional outing but each time you come on and ask for something of monetary value in return for an outing you might as well be guideing and I think johnny law will probably agree. I think you all might see a crack down on this in the deep creek and kenai areas....but thats a different post.
    In my opninion you bought the boat, you know the costs, and you should be prepared to pay for that if you want to use it. If you happen to take joe, and billy bob because you are bored and want a fishing buddy, and they happen to say soemwhere along the line, hey we would love to give you some change for gas than by all means what a nice gesture on behalf of both parties.
    I am not suggesting any one will take advantage of this thread, but I would hate to see one taking advantage of this trying to pay for their boat on someone elses dime.
    Good luck out there, be safe and I will see you on the water.

Point taken Cliche however, if you read the regulations that pertain to guides, charters, etc. it discusses valuable consideration, financial interest etc. I would say, the point of this thread is to simply help a fellow fishermen get out where he/she may not normally be able to as a friendly gesture. If they want to pitch in for gas, bait or launch there is absolutely no financial gain to the individual offering a trip. Sheesh, what's this world coming too..... Next thing you know I'll get a ticket because my dad filled up the boat.

Default Purpose of this thread.

"The purpose of this thread is to help find partners to fish with."

No one is hiring anyone or demanding money for going fishing with someone. It is just to help find people to go fish with. For many people it is a safey issue. Sure I can run 80 miles out by myself. But for safety, I should have someone along. If my boat can safely fish four people, why can I not take someone along? If my brother goes fishing with me he expects to cover part of the fuel. It is not "required" but may be expected.

I have a though for everyone so there is no conflict with rules and regulations. Simply post where you are going, how many seats are open, and for them to contact you through p.m. for additional information and your problem will be solved

I am fully aware of the purpose of the thread, as well as how the law's are written.
    My point being let's not get side tracked and have someone posting on here each week in hopes that enough people will jump aboard their craft and pay for the owners outing. I know it is expensive but that cost is somthing one should have thought about before signing the papers.
    I am all for meeting new people to fish with and share in the fun with, no matter if you fish once or one hundred times a year. I just would hate for this thread to become a place to advertise for those that are taking advantge of the system, and beleive me it is becoming very problematic on our most popular fisheries.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast