Thread: Outboard Mechanic

Default Outboard Mechanic

I've got a very low time 5hp Mercury outboard that's been sitting for a long time and won't start. Can anyone recommend someplace I can take it to in the Anchorage area? I'm sure there's lots of information on here already, but nothing beats current info.

J Kimberly Service on Arctic was recommended to me by a friend, and they were great both times I went there. Very compitent and fair on costs.
    2009 Seawolf 31'
    www.seawolfmarine.com
    Fully Loaded

Quote Originally Posted by jrogers View Post
    J Kimberly Service on Arctic was recommended to me by a friend, and they were great both times I went there. Very compitent and fair on costs.
    Thank You JR. I'll give 'em a call.

Many of those small hp motors have integral fuel tanks. If your motor does, draining all the old fuel and replacing it with new and a fresh spark plug may be all it needs. After draining all the fuel and removing the plug, give it a few pulls to blow out any fuel in the cylinder, then insert plug and give it a try.

Might drain the float bowl too. Or remove it and clean it.

Oz

All good advice another thing you can check is put the plug on the lead and GROUND IT give it a few pulls and check that you got spark if you got good fuel and good spark she should run given you don't have internal damage (rare)