Thread: Trapper License?

Default Trapper License?

OK, I have a question for those who are much smarter than I concerning the Regulations.
    I'm reading page 124, second paragraph where it says you can have either a Hunting or Trapping License for Beaver, Black Bear, Coyote, Fox, Lynx, Squirrel, Wolf, or Wolverine.
    On page 28, under the definition of a Furbearer, it says taking those animals just mentioned is "subject to taking with a trapper License".
    So which is it, Either or only Trapper License?

For certain animals they can be taken under a trapping license or a hunting license depending on the season. You must check both the hunting and trapping regs to see when the season is open to determine what type of license applies.

Jeff, just past that it shows the units and hunting seasons (what can be taken with a hunting license) and bag limits for everything you listed except bear, wolf, and wolverine. For wolf and wolverine, you need to go to the specific units and see what's open to take under a hunting license. For example, for Unit 26 where I think you are, you can take ten wolves Aug 10 - Apr 30, and one wolverine Sept 1 - Mar 31. (under a hunting license).

You need to look at the trapping regs for seasons and bag limits under a trapping license.

OK, I think I understand. If the animal is listed in the season/location your hunting, all you need is a Hunting License.
    And if not, then a Trapping License. Correct?

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff U View Post
    OK, I think I understand. If the animal is listed in the season/location your hunting, all you need is a Hunting License.
    And if not, then a Trapping License. Correct?
    Pretty much. Just check to make sure it is in season for either hunting or trapping and then determine which season is open to know which license is required. If it is "in season" for both, you have your choice as to which license you want to have. Keep in mind that there are going to be certain times of year it won't be open for either hunting or trapping.

Just to stir the pot a bit, seems you CAN trap with a rifle in unit 23...........~~LOL!!!~~

Geeeeeeeee Whizzzzzzzzz, how nice its not changed in years....seems theres "No limit" on everything trappable in unit 23 as well.........

Gotta love this place, even if Fur aint worth squat on the open market.......
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

Quote Originally Posted by strangerinastrangeland View Post
    Just to stir the pot a bit, seems you CAN trap with a rifle in unit 23...........~~LOL!!!~~
    Sure can!! I do it often here in 22. Just gotta be in season, be a "furbearer", and have my trapping license.
    Know guns. Know peace. Know safety.

No guns: no peace. No safety!

A hunting license allows you to go hunting. You may take any species that is legal during the legal hunting season.
    A trapping license allows you to "trap" legal species during the legal season.
    A hunting license only allows you to take legal species during seasons with a "weapon".You may not take a species with a trap or snare with a hunting license. You can only take those species during "hunting" season.
    A trapping license allows you to take legal species with a weapon or a trap/snare, but only during the trapping season.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

the best one is you can't trap or snare a hare, unless you have a hunting license!
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

I'm kinda partial to Wolves and Wolverine being BOTH Big game animals AND Furbearers.......

It appears that regulations regarding shooting disappear for trappers inside the Dalton corridor. I didn't see any restrictions on off-road motorized vehicles for trappers in the corridor...is that correct?

Quote Originally Posted by 257wby View Post
    It appears that regulations regarding shooting disappear for trappers inside the Dalton corridor. I didn't see any restrictions on off-road motorized vehicles for trappers in the corridor...is that correct?
    Check out the information on this thread (http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...-road-corridor) regarding use of ATV's within the Haul Road corridor. It appears that it is ILLEGAL to use them for hunting OR trapping. It is a state statute and not specific to either activity.

I think someone covered this below but for my clarification I'll state it as I understand it and then someone can confirm or shoot me down.

Every year I buy a hunting/trapping/sport fishing license. The main reason being is so that certain animals like fox, coyote, and lynx can be only be taken during the appropriate season with a weapon or trap as long as you have a hunting and trapping license. I'm not a trapper but I do enjoy predator calling and even though "in season" to take an animal considered to be a furbearer with a rifle you must have a trapping license.

Did I get it right? At least with regards to the scenario I mentioned.

1S1K,

Yep, you pretty much have it right, though a lot of times what taking them with a trapping license affects is the bag limit (more under trapping). Another example, in many units in the interior you can take beaver with a rifle, in fall and early summer, but only under a trapping license. Whereas in the hunting regs on page 124 there is no open season for them in most units.

I've always bought hunt/fish/trap license, cuz I'm also a trapper, but buying a trapping license does open up a lot more opportunities to take some species.

ok hey heres a question for you....in unit 20B (manley area, elliot highway..) can you take a beaver with a rifle if you have a trapping license in september?

Release Lake Trout

Hunt&Fish,

First off, here is link to the current trapping regs:
    http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/static/re...s/trapping.pdf

According to page 36 of that pdf file:
    You may not take beaver by any means other than steel trap or snare
    except:
    in Units 12, 19, 20A, 20C, 20E, 20F, 21, 24, and 25, a firearm or bow and arrow may be used to take beaver during the seasons and with bag limits established in regulation.

So it looks like no taking of beaver by rifle or bow in 20B.

Gotta love the "Beaver Hunt!!"

WESTERN ALASKA
    You may not disturb or destroy any beaver house or den.
    It is against the law to take beaver by any means other than a steel trap or snare except that you may shoot up to the established bag limit in Units 18, 22, and 23 throughout the season provided that either the meat or hide is salvaged.
    In Unit 22 from June 11 - Sept. 15, taking beaver by any means other than a firearm is prohibited.
    AREA .................................................. ..............OPEN SEASON...................LIMIT
    Units 18, 22, and 23 ..........................................No closed season...............No limit
    Unit 26A............................................... ...........................................No open season

"Save the tree, eat the Beaver!"