Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why I reload

Default Why I reload

I found myself excited because my test loads of 40 S&W failed to extract and eject. I could cycle the gun easily by hand and retrieve the brass. Ane aut that does not throw the brass away, I thought!

I think I shoot to reload.

For me I think the bottom line is my interest in mostly obsolete calibers. Sure savings can be huge because if you can even find it, ammo for the old ones is backbreaking. The 25-20 is a fine example. Compare the cost with popular modern rounds and you'll move right into reloading. Some rounds you can't even buy except on collector tables.

Another reason is for more bullet variety in old ones, less popular ones, and even popular ones. Right now I'm loading hard to get ammo or more variety in weights and styles for 25-20, 25 Remington, 25-35, 250-3000, 257 Roberts, 6mm Rem, 7x57, 284 Win, 30 Remington, 8x57, 8mm Rem Mag, 35 Remington, 358 Winchester, 38-56 Winchester, and 50-140 Sharpes. Note that I didn't include more common handgun and rifle calibers and wildcats I load for. There are lots more on that list.

Brown bear:
    You pretty much nailed my reasons. Cost on some rounds if you can find them is brutal. $120+ for my 416Rem. I cannot afford to shoot at $6 a pop. And the old or unusual, if you don't reload you can't shoot. I tend to like the old and the odd such as 25/20, 32/20, 7.62 x25, 256 Win, 22KH, 30Rem, 35Rem, 350Rem, 41Mag, 358Norma, 300H&H. Some of these and many others you either can't shoot without reloading or will cost a small fortune. To my surprise I did see two boxes of new 30Rem on the shelf at SW yesterday.

Default All That Variety, and Waiting for Calm

For me, it's the Variety of Bullets available that just keeps me going. Still loading for one rifle,
    (tho "yes, I already ordered another caliber rifle, pretty much just to reload for it,"
    as some predicted when I got started,...Large Grin)

and tho I have a several bullets dialed in really well, all I need, to kill enough to eat for Long Time,
    I just get going Crazy on the bullet catalogs and "All That Variety"
    gotta order another hundred of two or more different weight/construction,
    just to work up loads for them

The main reason I went .270wsm was that I could go from 90gr HP Varminter,
    make it Fly like a Jet Fighter, and on up to 160 Partition, developing a Sledge Hammer Blow,

Then there's all that in between, I've heard folks say,
    "Awww .270, is just built for 130 -150 grain bullet,....buy another rifle for other than those"
    Well maybe, if you're buying Factory, but I'm handloading now ,....So,

I'm having a blast finding Wicked Results with that Sierra 90 gr, Those 110gr VMax and TTSX, are incredible thru this rifle, then it's 130, Accubond or Ballistic Silvertip (?),....
    140 Accubonds, smokin' em out there just for the stats, to work into a nice Partition load in 140gr,....and On and On and On....

I Shoot, so I can Reload, I'm almost there now,...Too Bad you can't get accurate stats in 40 knot winds,
    cause I don't mind shoveling snow off the shooting benchs, rain no problem,

but the Waiting for Calm,......Aarrgghhhhh I have more reloading to do, need stats ,.......
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

kodiakrain:
    yep, you might as well admit it,you are now a gun nut.There is no cure so you might as well just get some more guns, some more dies, cases, powder, primers, bullets, aw never mind, you know the drill. Just go for it. Just be careful not to try bullet casting as it's even worse than reloading.

Quote Originally Posted by rbuck351 View Post
    Just be careful not to try bullet casting as it's even worse than reloading.
    Ah man, why did you go and warn him? The only way we'll get stores to stocking more supplies is for new faces to appear and add to the clamor for it!

I load for the convenience, self reliance, and lastly as I can generally load the calibers I do for less than factory loads. Used to be also as I could usually beat factory ammo accuracy, but factory ammo as really gotten better in that regard over the last 12 years or so, if it hasn't gotten cheaper...

I think I reload for the challenge of "getting it right"! Sure costs is a factor, but deep down its the hunt to see if one can make it all from scratch - learn along the way - and in the end get a gun/load to perform...
    Kinda like training your own dog - wouldn't be any fun for me to have someone else do it....
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

Sometimes I feel like I shoot to reload, but I think for me I just enjoy the entire shooting hobby, and all related activities. I enjoy shooting, reading about shooting, reloading, casting, etc. It's the whole package or none of it for me.

The other 299,300,000 people can have it.

Noone has a more intimate understanding of, or deeper appreciation for freedom, than a soldier who has fought for it in a country where it does not exist.

I still Love the Shooting part for sure,
    Has anyone done this,....
    "The other night, as my wife is relating some struggle at work, relationship stuff with someone, I found myself picturing in my mind, the groups from my last range session,....
    literally, in my minds eye, that .56" group of four, and why did that fifth one fly off and spoil it into 1.1"......?? Darn,..."

Uh oh, now I know that's illegal, So, I snapped out of it

But that range time, especially early in the morning, nobody else out there,
    Cracking the early morning cool with the "Boom of a well touched off bullet," of my own creation,.....

Good way to start the day, then it's "Do I run home and quick, neck size and prep these, for loading tonight,
    or wait til the kids and wife are asleep,...
    Does anyone else do a lot of loading after midnight, or is it just me ??

Gettin' ready for the next calm morning, ahead of time ??"

Anyone else drive around with all the shooting gear, Chrony, Spot scope, Rifle, Latest Loaded rounds, etc. in their trunk, ready to go, just so you can zip out there for lunch, in case it gets really calm ??
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

I enjoy everything about shooting, I even enjoy taking my gun apart and cleaning it. I am new to reloading, and I am enjoying getting to learn more and more about it. I need to start getting into making my own bullets. I am looking into getting into cowboy action shooting, and need to make some affordable ammo if I am going to be shooting a lot of it to practice. Speaking of which, anybody got some good cowboy loads out there for the 45 LC, or 45 Scofield?
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

Quote Originally Posted by duckslayer56 View Post
    Speaking of which, anybody got some good cowboy loads out there for the 45 LC, or 45 Scofield?
    I'm not sure about the regulations, if there are any related to velocity or energy in cowboy action as there are in other shooting sports. If there are none though, or if they are pretty light you should try some trailboss powder for that .45 Colt. The recoil will be about the same as a .22 LR and allow for very rapid target re-acquisition. I have become a fan of trailboss and I've used it in .45 Colt, .460 S&W and .243 Win. with excellent results in all three.

Noone has a more intimate understanding of, or deeper appreciation for freedom, than a soldier who has fought for it in a country where it does not exist.

For cowboy action, a light bullet and about 3.5gr bullseye for 38 through 45. I watched a match once and it seemed that there weren't any targets beyond about 30/40 ft.

Quote Originally Posted by AKsoldier View Post
    Sometimes I feel like I shoot to reload, but I think for me I just enjoy the entire shooting hobby, and all related activities. I enjoy shooting, reading about shooting, reloading, casting, etc. It's the whole package or none of it for me.
    Very Well Said! It's all consuming, at least that's what my wife says!

For me- I reload for the fun of it. In the early days of my reloading it was for the cost savings. Now I have no real idea if I am saving money or not (don't really care)- I just do it, kind of addicting.
    I started reloading just shotshells (12 & 20). Now I reload 9mm, 45acp, 30-30, 30-06, & 308w in addition to the shotshells. Recently added a 223 setup, but nothing reloaded yet. Father in law gave me a 7.7mm Arisaka rifle. Trying to find a kit for it- no luck so far.
    Just finished reloading 200 3" 12ga steel loads I will be using when I go snow goose hunting in two weeks (hope I have enough-HA HA!) Also gives me alot of satisfaction when I use a shell I reloaded to down what ever my intended species was.

I first started reloading to have +P 35rem to shot in my 336. And then because I had a 358win rifle built. Next I realised just how much more I could shoot and that ammo prices just keep climbing. Then a 22hornet that I could not pass up required reloading for both cost and fine tuning for some Sub MOA loads.

Now I bought a 28ga and a MEC sizemaster so I can load 500 shells for what 100 shells cost per case. Just so happens one pound of powder and 25 lbs of shot should load 500 shells.

So first its a hobby and I can make things taylored to my guns and now its very cost effective.

It will not be initially cost effective, and will take a long time till you see actual savings. That being said, I really enjoy it, and it gives me another reason to play with my guns. I've got a sickness here guys...

Quote Originally Posted by tailwind View Post
    I've got a sickness here guys...
    ..... For which there is no cure. (Thank God!) ;-)

I reload.....

-For fun

- For the satisfaction of making my own cartridges

- To tailor my load for my purposes

- To be able to wildcat

- To have the option of using whatever bullet or powder I want

- And last but not least... to give Smitty fits

I reload to save $$$$, Improve accuracy, and efficiently Kill animals.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast