Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 9 fish?

Default 9 fish?

http://www.peninsulaclarion.com/stor...87067846.shtml

I guess we're not supposed to post the entire article, but perhaps I can get away with an exerpt;

"If you're inclined to eat seafood it looks like a typical family will need eight to nine fish a year but our regulations allow people to take 45 legally, and they can do some of that abuse and maybe take a few more," Maw said. "We think it's not unreasonable to bring the limits down to what the average family can consume if they're inclined to eat fish."

You gotta be kidding me, right? If he wants to make an argument for lower limits, he's losing all credibity by suggesting something as ridiculous as 9 fish.

But, it is the BOF season...and ridiculousness seems to fly from all sides.

we eat a red about twice aweek most weeks......so average for me annual- about 50 fish a year probably give or take a few, and that doesnt include smoked salmon add about 50 more for that

9 fish my ass.......who is this ****** and why have I never heard of him before now?

Release Lake Trout

Hey, I resemble that remark! (BOF SEASON>>>AND REIDICULOUSNESS SEEMS TO FLY FROM ALL SIDES)

I don't think 9 fish make it past my BBQ the first week when the first salmon start showing up,well I guess half of the 5 kings allowable gets smoked and only half get cooked.I would like to know were the numbers come from.

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

I doubt my family eats more than 9-10 salmon per year. We eat waaaay more halibut than we do salmon. I smoke a lot of salmon and give it away/bring it to parties and such, but in all we as a family only have salmon for dinner about once a month at the very most.

I've been trying to eat salmon 5 days a week (mostly canned) and see what it does for my Systolic Blood Pressure Number, want to get it under 120 as I started at rates of 126-8. Started the fish experiment in NOV and going to see what the physical folks say I'm at in May. I would imagine our family consumption rate is more at 9-10 salmon per person per year which is 36-40, this year up more with the independent salmon eating study.

I'm pretty picky about the fish we keep for ourselves so we keep the Copper River Reds that we dipnet for smoking, and fillets for later. Then most all the fish we keep while fishing rod and reel elsewhere we either can and or give away to friends and family. Some years we keep some of the tail half of the fillets from our rod and reel catch as I like the way the thinner meat cooks up and normally no bones.

I suppose the same statics can be made to beer consumption perhaps the average is 9-10 per year but doubt that holds true from all.

hmmmmm 9-10 beers a year? for most of the guys on this forum.....thats probably closer to a daily statistic....

Release Lake Trout

Quote Originally Posted by Frostbitten View Post
    I doubt my family eats more than 9-10 salmon per year. We eat waaaay more halibut than we do salmon. I smoke a lot of salmon and give it away/bring it to parties and such, but in all we as a family only have salmon for dinner about once a month at the very most.
    Frostbitten, I'm in the same boat as you...maybe a few more salmon a year, but not a whole lot. We are halibut people, more so than salmon...so I have no problem (usually) putting my salmon away under sport regulations.

However, I know a LOT of people/families who can eat way more fish than we do...that's what the PU fishery tries to accomodate.

Its good to have a glimpse of what the battle lines will be before the engagement begins.

I'd like to see where this data is compiled from; also if said data is an example of the good science that this person and the groups he represents will be presenting to the board.

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Quote Originally Posted by MRFISH View Post
    Frostbitten, I'm in the same boat as you...maybe a few more salmon a year, but not a whole lot. We are halibut people, more so than salmon...so I have no problem (usually) putting my salmon away under sport regulations.

However, I know a LOT of people/families who can eat way more fish than we do...that's what the PU fishery tries to accomodate.
    I agree. I haven't dipnetted in the last 20+ years, but I don't doubt that some folks do in fact feed their families that way, but I also know that there are A LOT of people who abuse the PU fisheries. It's a broad spectrum...I'll just leave it at that.

I use 3 1/2 salmon for a case of smoked. I smoke up 3 to four cases. That's fourteen for the smoked. I can up at least three cases of plain. I make salmon patties and also mix in a can of plain with a 1/2 can of smoked to mix with cream cheese, for a dip. That puts me up there at 25 fish. I then vacuum pack up about 10 to 15 fish for fillets, to cook on the BBQ or in the oven. That puts me up there to almost 40 fish. No thank you, Dr. Maw, I think your numbers are somewhat biased cause you are looking at this from your check/savings account. Dr. Maw is also a drift fishermen, besides being the head of UCIDA. Sounds like he is using my tactics to over reach and get a more muted response. Gotta give the guy credit for trying though.
    If a dipnetter dips a fish and there is no one around to see/hear it, Did he really dip?

The average family take works out to 6 fish, per year, per person. I don't find that too excessive since the resource belongs to all of us, not just comfishers and the processors. Have the facts jack and will forward if anyone is interested.It's all in fishery data # 10-89/UCI Personal use fisheries, 2007-2009 By Krissy Dunker, ADF&G.
    If a dipnetter dips a fish and there is no one around to see/hear it, Did he really dip?

Quote Originally Posted by Frostbitten View Post
    I agree. I haven't dipnetted in the last 20+ years, but I don't doubt that some folks do in fact feed their families that way, but I also know that there are A LOT of people who abuse the PU fisheries. It's a broad spectrum...I'll just leave it at that.
    Yeah...I know the concern about wasted fish/people taking more than they really need/use is part of what Maw was trying to get at in his quote.

Nobody's condoning waste, and I have no doubt it happens to some extent, but I gotta wonder if it is really that widespread. If it really is an issue, then perhaps something should be done to address it, but I hate to see the law-abiding folks who use and appreciate the resource being penalized because of a few ****heads. It's like banning guns because criminals use them to commit crime.

i dont dipnet for salmon....dont have the time i guess.....the only salmon i get is from sportfishing the middle and upper kenai and russian river fisheries, as well as the mat-su fisheries....

Release Lake Trout

Quote Originally Posted by thewhop2000 View Post
    The average family take works out to 6 fish, per year, per person. I don't find that too excessive since the resource belongs to all of us, not just comfishers and the processors. Have the facts jack and will forward if anyone is interested.It's all in fishery data # 10-89/UCI Personal use fisheries, 2007-2009 By Krissy Dunker, ADF&G.
    Do these facts ,Jack, include the thousands (or perhaps tens of thousands) of fish that I read about in the clarion that were cited for not being reported? And how about the fish that were not only not reported but not caught?

Gunner, you throw out some whacky idea about non reporting and then leave it at that? What are you trying to say cause you have confused me. What tens of thousands of fish are you referring to? Are you saying dippers are over inflating their reported catches of fish? and to what outcome would this achieve? What thousands of citations are you referring to, cause I talked with Soldotna Troopers and they have a good feeling on this fishery. Trooper Godfry has been great on supplying stats. So where do you get your numbers? From Dr. Maw? Or are you just pulling numbers out of your Arse? Please clarify!!!
    I'm thinking you are responding to an emotional attempt to just wanting to lash out on the PU fishery as a whole. So please keep this thread with a back up of facts, not just hyperbole.... Thank you very much. There is a time and place for hyperbole, just ask UCIDA. They have it down pat... but I'm learning from them too. Have a good night, dude, whoever you are
    Last edited by thewhop2000; 02-17-2011 at 22:37. Reason: cause I'm over whelmed by idiots

"Last edited by thewhop2000; 16 Minutes Ago at 21:37. Reason: cause I'm over whelmed by idiots"

Easy there, big guy! Meetings still a couple days away, and I can already hear those blood pressure alerts going off! We need ya to pace yourself... otherwise 3 days of public testimony may be the tipping point! Although, I can picture you wrapping a dipnet around someone and dragging him down 6th avenue a ways!

It would be 5th avenue, not sixth. LOL I would be heading to the inlet, not Muldoon.

Quote Originally Posted by thewhop2000 View Post
    Gunner, you throw out some whacky idea about non reporting and then leave it at that? What are you trying to say cause you have confused me. What tens of thousands of fish are you referring to? Are you saying dippers are over inflating their reported catches of fish? and to what outcome would this achieve? What thousands of citations are you referring to, cause I talked with Soldotna Troopers and they have a good feeling on this fishery. Trooper Godfry has been great on supplying stats. So where do you get your numbers? From Dr. Maw? Or are you just pulling numbers out of your Arse? Please clarify!!!
    I'm thinking you are responding to an emotional attempt to just wanting to lash out on the PU fishery as a whole. So please keep this thread with a back up of facts, not just hyperbole.... Thank you very much. There is a time and place for hyperbole, just ask UCIDA. They have it down pat... but I'm learning from them too. Have a good night, dude, whoever you are
    Guess my last post was poorly worded. You stated that the personal use harvest averages out to 6 fish per person. I am assuming that you took the total reported harvest and divided by the number of reported users. What I am referring to is the unreported harvest. Every summer the Peninsula Clarion police and court reports contain many instances of nonreporting and overharvest. Get on the clarion website and google personal use fishery violations and see for yourself. Just trying to point out that many believe the dipnet fishery harvest to be underreported.
    I don't know how to cut and paste, but one example comes from the July 25,2007 issue where Lt. Godfrey is quoted as saying between 75 and 100 citations were given in one weekend. You are correct, Trooper Godfrey is a reliable source of stats.

"If you're inclined to eat seafood it looks like a typical family will need eight to nine fish a year, per family member."

I'm pretty sure that's how it should have read. No problem with the above statement, but we don't eat as much fish as other families.
    I may be slow, but I get where I'm going!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast