Thread: Kashwitna salmon?

Default Kashwitna salmon?

Hey everybody!

Anyone on here ever go to Kashwitna River to salmon fish? Seems a little intimidating sometimes with lots of silty green water. Hear about kings being caught there at the mouth. Any good holes further up? How about other salmon species? Silvers, chums? Would like to hike in from the highway crossing. Private property issues?

Thanks a bunch! -Kim

lots of private property on the kashwitna....beside that, theres very little bank access.....the north fork (clearwater) is trophy catch and release rainbow and grayling fishing....your best bet is gonna be at the mouth.....not only are you getting the kashwitna fish, but you can also target all the fish heading upstream that peek into the kashwitna to rest.....sorry but as far as i know most of the kashwitna above the highway is private access......Also sheep creek has alot of private property as well below and above the highway....

Release Lake Trout

Is it mainly kings or is it good for other salmon too. Water looks really silty sometimes. Use bait then or lures just fine?

first things first, read the regs book.....baits not legal till late july or later for silvers....i know that at least 4 of the 5 salmon species (chums, pinks, kings, silvers) go up the kash.....but yes it is silty....fishing some deep holes with drift rigs like corkies and aerodrifters might be your best bet....

Release Lake Trout

I think that you here of the Kings being caught out of there but not many other species because of the increased silt the further you head into the season. I would rather head further north that hit the Kash , personally, but I don't mind hiking on the other rivers to get away from the crowds either. A buddy of mine claims to have caught kings in the 40 pound range out of there though.
    "Give someone a fish and you will feed them for a day. Show someone how to fish and they will just steal your fishing hole and catch more fish then you. Screw them, let them eat chicken!!"

Thanks all for the information. Will give it a go this summer. Just don't hear too much about this river compared to Willow and Montana. Got to be a reason good or bad. It will be fun exploring!

Kim