Thread: Dragunov in Mongolia

Default Dragunov in Mongolia

http://www.dragunov.net/tiger.html

My friend in Mongolia wrote me about the one he has:

"So i want to shorten my Tiger. Because that barrel's inner net was
    >> broken. ( i don't know how it calls ) About 4 inches far from end.
    >> Can you provide me an information about this barrel shorten process.
    >> Do you have any experience for it?"

Not sure what he's talking about. Rifling maybe? What would the effects of a shorter barrel be?

I've always had an interest in these rifles and now see there is commercial availabilty. I wonder what that 9.3 x 64 is like? Big hitter for an autoloader.

Shortening the barrel on a Tiger would be like shortening the barrel on any firearm, you would have a loss of velocity. The 9.3x64 is a German cartridge and is pretty close to the .375 H&H. I had no idea that the Russians made an autoloader for it.
    I may be slow, but I get where I'm going!

I'd not want to be cuting down a Tiger Rifle or do much changing to the configuration other than play around with stock-sets and little things.

Your rifle is getting reasonably valuable in it's original importation configuration. Most 'Russian Tiger Rifles' that came into USA were 7.62x54R and several into early 1990's came with a real military-spec Russian scope (not Belarus).

Food for thought... ya just do not shorten a Tiger barrel down like any other firearm!!! There's a bit more to it.

I'd move along the lines of considering the Russian Saiga Carbine on the AK platform if you are looking for a shorter 16" barreled rifle that is purpose built. You'll find just as accurate for less than fussing around w/ your Tiger. Here is what I'm talking about in .308WIN/7.62x51NATO Unfortunately State-side... you won't find 9.3 anything in these rifles yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Richardson View Post
    I'd not want to be cuting down a Tiger Rifle or do much changing to the configuration other than play around with stock-sets and little things.

Your rifle is getting reasonably valuable in it's original importation configuration. Most 'Russian Tiger Rifles' that came into USA were 7.62x54R and several into early 1990's came with a real military-spec Russian scope (not Belarus).

Food for thought... ya just do not shorten a Tiger barrel down like any other firearm!!! There's a bit more to it.

I'd move along the lines of considering the Russian Saiga Carbine on the AK platform if you are looking for a shorter 16" barreled rifle that is purpose built. You'll find just as accurate for less than fussing around w/ your Tiger. Here is what I'm talking about in .308WIN/7.62x51NATO Unfortunately State-side... you won't find 9.3 anything in these rifles yet.
    I doubt if his buddy in Mongolia is too worried about the collector value. Sounds like he has some problem with the weapon that needs repair. I suspect he is talking about a problem with the gas cyclinder.

Yep Chisana exactly right. As you can imagine, choice of hunting rifles there is limited. Ammo is worse. He is considering buying an iron sight Rem 700 30-06 for $3000! 1 30-06 round costs him about 5 bucks.

Quote Originally Posted by TR View Post
    He is considering buying an iron sight Rem 700 30-06 for $3000! 1 30-06 round costs him about 5 bucks.
    Sounds like some of the shops in Anchorage! If he does end up chopping the barrel make sure he cuts in front of the gas port, otherwise he'll be running a single shot rifle.

Ahhh misunderstood/misread... thought he had one (or got ahold of SVD variant) like/somehow/whatever/from his friend in Mongolia, but here in Alaska. Thanks for the clarification guys - sorry.

If he in fact has an SVD... the shortened 'sporterized import version' we get over here called Tiger often has 4-6" cut off and re-crowned. In doing so --- special emphasis is made with regards to Chrome-lined barrels, removal, re-pinning/re-installing the front sights and re-threading a muzzle-break (if wanted). You could probably cut back to a 16-17" barrel thereabouts without modifications to gas system. 7.62x54R in shorter barreled rifles blast quite a bit of fire in most of the available military surplus.

China made a similar SVD action clone in .308WIN/7.62NATO.

If guns are such the scarce item with ammo at a premium then why would anybody bubba one up anywhere in the world...? More or less the point I was making in earlier post.

With trying to interpret things here... I'm not too convinced on any SVD (or even an AK unless way less barrel is less than 16" already) that an "inner net" and some problem being an odd 4" far from end (muzzle end?) refers to the gas system. Not possible on this gun in described location!

That said --- some of the muzzle flash-hider/breaks (that resemble a basket or 'net') are longer and can be of 4" variation (some pinned in, others threaded, still more welded with pins or threads) --- that 4" approximate size is actually the most common SVD of flash hider type muzzle breaks. If this is the problem, it is a pretty easy solution to put on a different flash-hider or fashion and screw on a protective muzzle cap.

Here are a few pic links for two of the more common SVD Flash hider Muzzle Breaks

Longer variation.

Shorter variation.

Parts variation.

Why not just buy a izmash saiga .308?? Have shot many dragunov rifles in the former soviet union-- the saiga seems to hit just as well and just as far away. Move the trigger forward and add the t2 system?? Hell, my bud did a one shot kill on a nice brown bear a couple of years ago. Right brian ??!! I'm sold on mine!! An ak is hard to beat, and shoots every time you pull the trigger!!!
    Goo

Brian, good info, thanks. I need to know if he has the long barrel to start with. I've invited him to the forum. Should be up and moving around about this time now.

Goo, his major problem is availabilty of ammo. .308 win is niether cheap nor plentiful there. He's pretty much restricted to russian made stuff. We looked into having me buy him a rifle here and shipping to him but decided against it due to the ammo problem and import issues.

Sir,I see your point on ammo. Thought you wanted a rifle for here, USA, just bought some rem. 7.62x39 in A-town for $1.00 each and when I hit Louisiana got some BARNAUL for .35 each. My mistake. Shot the same group.
    Still love the AK -- really did love shooting the DRAGUNOV on our river trips and it does a good job on their brown bear The strange scope was way too much fun also!!
    GOD those Ruskies hate it when we shoot better groups with their equipment!!! Good cal. fine rifle, Just happy with my IZMASH!!
    for what its worth--
    Goo

I've done time in Russia. Spent a year on Sakhalin. Where were you?

All over- ALTAI, TUVA, KHABAROVSK, KAMCHATKA, BLACK SEA, MT. ELBRUS, SAINT PETERSBURG, BAKIAL, Have had a guiding business there since 1989-- over 40 magic trips. Too bad we cant get there from A-town,4 hr. flight, with out going around the world or spending a zillion $ going through Asia into Vladavoska. Will be back home in Anchorage next week. Would love to talk with you about your adventures.
    Goo Vogt
    ALASKA WILDWATER
    sotaralaska@yahoo.com
    345-4308

Sure Goo. Я буду писать.

Tim

I've got to say, I clicked on the link and those rifles are pretty cool looking in a retro "Blade Runner meets Jules Verne" kind of way!

A 9.3x64 loading? That would be one hell of a rifle.

My friend wrote back. He has the standard length barrel. He viewed the forum and is very appreciative for your comments. I'm trying to get him to join. He's an avid hunter and would really enjoy AOD.

GD, I agree, they are wicked looking rifles. I'd like to hear from anyone who owns or has shot the 9.3

It will be interesting to note what he actually has for a rifle, and for him to know that there is a difference in 'standard' barrel lengths for the 24" Military SVD and the 20" Tiger Hunting Rifle. Other differences are sights (graduations and fronts are totally different), adjustable vs. not adjustable gas systems, butt plate and cheek piece vs. rubber pad & no cheek piece, factory magazine capacities, receiver covers may differ, sling accessories, etc.

Hopefully, from the three photo-links I added... he will also see (plus folks reading through this thread will understand) that what I was relating in my first post is not some do-it-yourself-er for the average rifle job. Whether it's shortening up the barrels or fixing some issue with the flash-hider/muzzle-break and front sight... it is a project more along the lines of precision tools for competent armors or gunsmiths.

To my thinking, the 9.3 is not imported to USA and unavailable at this time here in Alaska. The most I've seen in Alaska is the Saiga hunting rifle in .30-06. I like the Saiga in .308WIN/7.62x51NATO

If an individual wanted a 7.62x54R --- the PSL Romanian military designated marksman rifle in semiautomatic with scope is available.

Brian, yep he saw your photos and they were helpful. I think he as an ex-military armorer type he would take this to.

Regretable on the 9.3 availabilty. I've got a Springfield M1A which satisfies my need for a mid-power auto-loader.