Thread: Kodiak Deer Questions

Default Kodiak Deer Questions

It seems like many of you know quite a bit about Kodiak deer hunting so I thought I would ask a few questions. I hunted in Zachar Bay in 2008 and had a great hunt but really want to try hunting in August. While we were there the lodge owner stated that different parts of the island have different weather patterns.
    My question is: Is one area of the island tend to have better weather in early August, I know weather cannot be predicted in Alaska (lived in Dillingham for 3 years) but jsut wondered if one area of the island would tend to be dryer in early August. I've read posts of August hunts where people battled fog and rain the whole time and have heard people talk of bueatiful weather the entire week. I was thinking of areas west of Kodiak but would also consider the south end as well.
    Thanks in advance for your replies.

I don't think that you can put Kodiak and dry in the same sentence.

Quote Originally Posted by akdd View Post
    Sure you can! After my week long hunt on Kodiak, it took me three weeks to dry out!

In the three areas I've been to on Kodiak, I have not noticed a difference. I think its just the weather for the week. We have had both conditions during the week we were hunting goats.

There are times when it dries out, August is about the best bet for it, maybe early Sept. but even in this photo it was blowing out of the SW about 35knots and on and off Raining like Crazy. (August 7th)

That being said, the Western end, as in SW end of the island is definitely drier than the town side, by quite a ways,
    it costs to get out there but well worth it. Best hopes(?) for a week of dry are over there, for sure

Don't forget Raingear and Total Preparation for Deluge at any time tho.
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

Charterboat Operator kodiakcombo's Avatar

I like call Old Harbor the "sunnyside" of Kodiak but it all depends on the low pressure systems, check out my website the pictures with deer in velvet or in grn grass is august, ususally the first day of deer season, the last opening days were nice, the last one was foggy, but I used it as cover to get up the deer. The august before that was also foggy but up top it is clear. I would post pictures but dont know how when replying.
    Providing trips for multilpe species for over 20 yrs
    www.kodiakcombos.com

Those are some nice pics there Combos, a website well worth checking out,

Probably if you're looking, this guy, kodiakcombo, is the guy to call,
    don't know him personally, but I do run by his vessel while I'm traveling and see him working sportfish quite often,
    not only his area, but his biz reputation, and really well maintained vessel, speak very highly of your chance for success

down there on the "Sunnyside"

ps not sure how you are posting pics on your "started threads" Jeff, but for pics in a reply,
    it's just a copy/paste of the pic URL right into the message
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

Quote Originally Posted by akdd View Post

Contrare sir. I have been hunting on Kodiak 3 different times and have yet to need a ran coat while out hunting. In town it poured a couple times, but while out hunting have yet to dig our my rain jacket. A light sprinkle for about an hour was the most I have ever seen it rain while hunting there. Yes, next trip I fully expect a rain storm that would make Noah himself nervous.

Quote Originally Posted by kodiakrain View Post
    There are times when it dries out, August is about the best bet for it, maybe early Sept. but even in this photo it was blowing out of the SW about 35knots and on and off Raining like Crazy. (August 7th)

That being said, the Western end, as in SW end of the island is definitely drier than the town side, by quite a ways,
    it costs to get out there but well worth it. Best hopes(?) for a week of dry are over there, for sure

Don't forget Raingear and Total Preparation for Deluge at any time tho.
    Was the tide low enough to dig razors? SW 35 is a "calm" day down there on some years!
    Joe

Charterboat Operator kodiakcombo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kodiakrain View Post
    Those are some nice pics there Combos, a website well worth checking out,

Probably if you're looking, this guy, kodiakcombo, is the guy to call,
    don't know him personally, but I do run by his vessel while I'm traveling and see him working sportfish quite often,
    not only his area, but his biz reputation, and really well maintained vessel, speak very highly of your chance for success

down there on the "Sunnyside"

ps not sure how you are posting pics on your "started threads" Jeff, but for pics in a reply,
    it's just a copy/paste of the pic URL right into the message
    Thanks Kodiakrain, being on the water 24/7 near your hunting area gives you an idea where to drop hunters safely and where the game will be.
    Providing trips for multilpe species for over 20 yrs
    www.kodiakcombos.com

My August hunt was 1/2 and 1/2. Two days of complete zero/zero fog, light rain, and wind. I've never been anywhere where the fog stuck for two days while the wind blew. It was so thick we couldn't even hunt. We spent our foggy days wandering along the lake shore so we wouldn't get lost. It was then we discovered we could walk completely across the lake in our waders. Talk about weird..crossing the lake in 20' visibility and not knowing which way shore was...I ended up using a compass to get us back. This played out well when the skies cleared and we were able to short cut across the lake to get on some deer.

The other two days were completely beautiful. The best part of August is the fact that when it rains it's still in the 50's. Can't say that for November.

Contrare sir. I have been hunting on Kodiak 3 different times and have yet to need a ran coat while out hunting. In town it poured a couple times, but while out hunting have yet to dig our my rain jacket. A light sprinkle for about an hour was the most I have ever seen it rain while hunting there. Yes, next trip I fully expect a rain storm that would make Noah himself nervous.
    On our hunt I didn't even break out the Impertech that I recall. My son did, though. Never rained hard..just danged foggy. I was in Dutch Harbor once for 5 days and it didn't rain a drop
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Seven days of beautiful sun and fun...oh, except for those 3 days of rain and fog.

Know guns. Know peace. Know safety.

No guns: no peace. No safety!

Interesting buck Alaskan 22. Don't see a lot from that time of year when they are out of the velvet and have hard, but not fully polished antlers and a molting coat. Late August?

Yuppers! Got married on the 18th, and was sitting on the hillside on the 21st. Forgot to bring the wife on the honeymoon though.

Bad time of year for a shoulder mount specimen, but the orange hide sure makes them easier to find. I was surprised to see the hard antlers too, at least out of velvet, as we picked up this one on the first day:

Was a good hunt though. One I REALLy want to do again:
    Know guns. Know peace. Know safety.

No guns: no peace. No safety!