Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Need a scope recommendation for a 375H&H

Default Need a scope recommendation for a 375H&H

Could use some help selecting a scope for a Sako 375H&H. Needs to have a 30mm tube to match the rings I already have as they are pricey to replace. I'm new to the big bore game to could use some advice.

Thanks

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

I also need scope recommendation for a 416 Rem using 1" rings. The one I have belts me in the forehead making accurate shooting difficult. I don't want to go scout mount.

My go-to scope for all boomers is the 1.5x5 Leopold or comparable. I'm not sure if a version is available with 30mm tube, but the 1" version is rock solid and has never come close to scoping me, even in 460 Wby.

The Leupold VX-3 1.5-5X20mm that Brown Bear recommends is very good. My cousin Has one on his 375 Ruger. I bought my setup about two years earlier and went with the VX-7 1.5-6X24mm with a 30mm tube.

Personally if I could do it all over again I would have passed on the VX-7. It is very good and I have no complaints other than price. The VX-3 is also very good and sells for less than 1/2 the price of the VX-7. The one big noticeable difference in the two scopes is the turret system. However, I sight my 375 at 2.8 inches high at 100 yards and don't plan on shooting anything further out than 300 yards so quick turret adjustments are a mute point.

At the low magnification levels and intended range of the 375 I just don't see the advantages of the VX-7. The VX-3 has excellent clarity and no fogging issues. It also has the typical lifetime warranty. Both have great light gathering at their max magnification level.

The recoil associated with the 375's is sharp and high quality scopes are the way to go. I would stay away from typical low magnification tactical scopes and or reconditioned scopes. The lifetime warranty, company history of staying power and solid construction of the Leupold brand is hard to beat in a DG rifle.

http://www.leupold.com/hunting-and-s...-3-1-5-5x20mm/

http://www.leupold.com/hunting-and-s...-7-1-5-6x24mm/

Good choices suggested.....also to consider is the Leupold 3X which is again available through the Leupold Custom Shop. The long 1" tube is great for these long action rifles and allows for plenty of eye relief adjustment.

I would diffiently go with a good quaility 1-5 varible scope with a rifle that I may hunt brown bear or cape buffalo with. I would also like the quick detachable rings from warne. It would be nice to take the scope off if you have to go into the bush after a dangerous animal

another consideration for me when i was buying my scope was the objective dia. the low power is all you need to shoot at 375 distances, but don't forget if you hunt up here in alaska a lot of the action happens during early mornings and late evenings with low light. i opted to go with the vari x3 2.5-8 with the 32mm obj. the other thing is needing some magnification when you get down onto your moose to make sure it has the brow tines. both of these things happened to us last moose season.

Stid,

I recently picked up a .375 H&H. Looking at the ballistics the 375 will launch a 270 grain bullet to a very similar trajectory to the 30-06 with a 180 grain. Its very common for folks to put 3-9 on their 30-06s. Granted most don't use their 375s for 300 yard shots, but it is more than capable. It is nice to have the 1X for the close in stuff and keep the bulk low for sure, but I kinda split the difference with a 2-7X32 scope. At 2 power still have a lot of FOV but still give me plenty zoom if I really wanted it it. I assume your rifle is mainly for brown bears as your 325 is for pretty much everything else so if that is the case nearly all your shots will be pretty close less than 150 yards. If that is the case rock the 1-5.

Another reason I went with the 2-7 power range is I put it in QD rings as my 375 has open sights for the truly close in stuff if needed to go into the brush after a bear that will no doubt try to hide in. And the reason I bought the 375, cause I applied for Kodiak brown bear for my wife and I and there is a very small chance we could draw and that small chance was enough of an excuse for me to buy a 375 as I always wanted one.

Don't know about your budget, but I sure like the schmidt bender zenith in a 30 mm 1.5-6X42..Sure wished there was a leupold in that exact size and build.

What do you guys think about this one???

http://www.natchezss.com/Optics.cfm?...%2030mm%20Tube
    Founding Member

I put a Leupold VX-3 3.5-10 x 40 CDS on my new Remington 700 XCR II. The scope and rifle combo is extremely accurate. I shoot 300 grain swift a-frame hand loads and with the load, BC, velocity, etc., the Leupold shop can give me a CDS dial good to 525 yards with a 100 yard zero. And like Alaska Lanche, I have iron sights on mine and QR rings and mounts for the close up brush work. A brush gun that will also drop animals at 500 yards. (Trolls feel free to leave me alone about shooting long range with a 375 H&H, until you've seen me do it, don't knock it)

That would definately work. I have the VX-3 1.5-5 on my 375, but I plan on changing it to the 2.5-8.

I've had a fixed powered Leupold on my Ruger #1 .375 H&H for years now. Hasn't given me a bit of problems.

My concern about going with a larger objective is that I can see the fixed sights in the straight tube that is on it now. I have to return the scope to the original owner.

Founding Member

Quote Originally Posted by stid2677 View Post
    Could use some help selecting a scope for a Sako 375H&H. Needs to have a 30mm tube to match the rings I already have as they are pricey to replace. I'm new to the big bore game to could use some advice.

Thanks

Steve
    Steve,

What kind of scope are you replacing and why? If you don't mind stepping out of the Leupold box, consider the Burris 1-4 power Euro Diamond. They are on sale right now and have true 30 mm innards, unlike a Leupold that has the same field of view as their comparable one inch tubed scopes of equal power range. The 1-4 Burris Euro is currently on sale for like half price over at riflescopes.com Nitro man uses one on some sort of tank mounted magnum and he has no serious complaints regarding holding zero. I have one and it's like looking through glass window and has 109 ft. field of view at 100 yds. The other thing I like about this scope is that once I'm dialed in, I have no need on my ole 9.3 to change the adjustments, so I engage the posi-lock device that triangulates the spring pressure with an additional amount of 14 PSI force that prevents the scope from ever loosing zero. It's worked so far. Good luck finding a scope for your H&H thumpah.

Mainer, It has a kahles scope on it now, but I bought it without the scope and have to return it.

Steve
    Founding Member

In order of greatness:

1. Zeiss Victory, your choice of power
    2. Swarovski Z6 1.7-10
    3. Loopy VX3
    4. Trijicon

Quote Originally Posted by stid2677 View Post
    My concern about going with a larger objective is that I can see the fixed sights in the straight tube that is on it now. I have to return the scope to the original owner.

IMO you'd be better served to sell the 30mm Talley rings and buy a set of 1 inch Talley rings to mount a 1.5-5X20 Leupold. This can be done for less than $500. There is no way that spending an extra $1000+ will provide better service or a better killing platform. Realizing an advantage with a 30mm tube for this application is easy for advertisers, but impossible to measure in the field. It's just that much more dead weight to tote around IME.
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

Can't go wrong with that choice Steve. Swaro and Kahles quality is essentially identical. As you're aware, the Kahles scope that's on your gun now is about as good as it gets, and the owner wants it back for good reason! 1Cor makes a good argument on monitary grounds, if that's a consideration for you, but in my humble opinion the Leupold product doesn't even begin to hold a candle to the likes of Kahles or Swaro. I have those same Talley rings on my 338-06, and they have proven bomb-proof. You only live once, get the good stuff.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast