Thread: Crossing the Little Su

Default Crossing the Little Su

I was wondering if anyone knows if there are any places it is legal to cross the Little Su with an ATV. Thanks.

The Parks Highway bridge and the Church Rd. bridge are a couple...

You legally cannot cross an anadromous waterway in Alaska. Except, Jim Creek...There it's encouraged!

I agree you are correct; I needed to cross a stream that was an anadromous stream I went to F&G and got a permit to cross. If for some reason they say no, I would build a raft and float across. The little Sue is very deep and your going to have to do it anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Rutting Moose View Post
    I agree you are correct; I needed to cross a stream that was an anadromous stream I went to F&G and got a permit to cross. If for some reason they say no, I would build a raft and float across. The little Sue is very deep and your going to have to do it anyway.
    Agree. Although somtimes it is better to ask for forgiveness rather than permission, in the case of anadromous streams you should assume the answer is no and there will be no "forgiveness" if you're caught, but asking if there is an exception might yield some results. ADF&G does have a permit process for allowing people to cross anadromous streams. I don't know a whole lot about it, but it does exist and may be worth looking into.

Are you talking Winter or Summer???
    Hundreds cross it on the Gasline on Pt. Mac every winter.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

Check with F&G in Palmer about a crossing and permit,Since they have taken over the habitat department the noose is starting to close on stream crossings ,I know this for a fact as I have to deal with stream crossings every year and this might be the last year they issue permits for certain areas
    PEOPLE SAY I HAVE A.D.D I DON'T UNDERSTA.....OH LOOK A MOOSE !!!

Thanks guys...I am not going to worry about it too much. I was thinking of summertime because it is very shallow by my house and I could easily drive the 6x6 across it, but I will just trailer over the Church Rd area I guess.

Wonder if they would mind me building a little bridge? LOL JK

Quote Originally Posted by AK Explorer View Post
    Wonder if they would mind me building a little bridge?
    Not funny! That's what they want me to do They want me to pay to build a public bridge

Shoot, I would pay for the materials and build one myself if they would let me! Over here couldn't be more than about 30-40 feet across.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger View Post
    Not funny! That's what they want me to do They want me to pay to build a public bridge
    Roger, I would contact the trails committee and see if they have funding for trail improvements. You may be able to get some assistance construction a bridge. Personally I think that they should be a little less ridiculous on some of the crossing restrictions. Most creeks only have a few places to cross so it isn't like miles of spawning beds will get destroyed.

Shoot, I would pay for the materials and build one myself if they would let me! Over here couldn't be more than about 30-40 feet across.
    30-40'? is that navigable? There are plenty of places that I can run my boat where you could drive a 6x6. I imagine that a bridge would be pretty spendy if constructed to allow boats to pass under it.

Over where I am thinking of, I don't think a boat could get through there most of the year - and it is more like 10-20 feet wide closer to my house....not navigable at all there....maybe for a canoe

.not navigable at all there....maybe for a canoe
    It is navigable. Oh, and if you watch the Little Su over, say, 50 years of break-up, seeing how often ice chunks the size of VW bugs are sent down, and watch it during the Fall highwater.....well, you might factor those things into your little bridge building adventure.

You can walk across any old time. Of course, that would take some work.

You should have mentioned your location a long time ago I know of a couple of ATV trails that cross the little sue. I think F&G are using it to stop people more than protecting fish.

Do you have a friend that spend a Couple of weeks at a time hunting on the mountain?

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    Roger, I would contact the trails committee and see if they have funding for trail improvements. You may be able to get some assistance construction a bridge.
    Thanks they gave me a list to contact, But it seems they do not know much about the water level ,Normally it is 50 ft across and 4-5ft deep the only time you can cross it is early spring and late fall. They said no one else need a permit to cross as it is a public crossing only I do because I'm "COMMERCIAL" They said they would come out this summer and look at it again. I did contact a few people and they pretty much said why should we give you money to build a bridge when anybody and their brother can cross the creek anytime they want.

Nice, gotta anti small business program...

Quote Originally Posted by Roger View Post
    Thanks they gave me a list to contact, But it seems they do not know much about the water level ,Normally it is 50 ft across and 4-5ft deep the only time you can cross it is early spring and late fall. They said no one else need a permit to cross as it is a public crossing only I do because I'm "COMMERCIAL" They said they would come out this summer and look at it again. I did contact a few people and they pretty much said why should we give you money to build a bridge when anybody and their brother can cross the creek anytime they want.
    This is interesting to me. I know where you cross as I have been there myself in my Ranger and I thought I read some signs that said no vehicles allowed during "blah blah date to blah blad date" which was basically anytime that the little Su was not frozen. If I read your post correctly then ANY personal use atv/utv can cross and you only need a permit if its commercial? What about your Rabbideaux creek
    crossing just up from the Big Su, is that the same? I've seen the same signage there and took it that vehicles could NOT cross without a permit.

Just curious. I pretty much try to stay away from anything off the parks highway just because of the anadromous reason. Denali Hwy and Eureka are still the Wild West compared to other spots so that's where I spend most of my time.

thanks for any clarification on the crossings/permits, etc.

Roger, why donít you build a pontoon bridge out of 55 gal drums it would be fairly cheep and you could remove it in the winter.

Quote Originally Posted by Rutting Moose View Post
    Roger, why donít you build a pontoon bridge out of 55 gal drums it would be fairly cheep and you could remove it in the winter.
    I'm going to be like them, Why should "I" have to pay to build a bridge for everyone to use ?(When they can cross without a bridge) And besides it would have to be wide enough and able to support the people that drive their trucks across. Even though I'm using atvs

Quote Originally Posted by 1S1K View Post
    What about your Rabbideaux creek
    crossing just up from the Big Su, is that the same? I've seen the same signage there and took it that vehicles could NOT cross without a permit.
    It is the same crossing ,And people (Some) do stop and ask me about permits I show them where to go get one online but this year since F&G took over you have to submit an application,You just can not print it off line like in the past.