Thread: Ptarmigan on Bald Mtn??

Default Ptarmigan on Bald Mtn??

Took a little trip today about halfway up Baldy and didn't see any Ptarmigan ....wondering at what altitude and where to look for birds. Never hunted them before.

AK Explorer,

I'm not sure where your Bald Mountain is, but if it's actually "bald" and has you up above treeline, than you have arrived in ptarmigan country. If you don't have a good bird dog than I suggest you hunt them like you would big game; use a binocular to look for the birds or their tracks. And remember that ptarmigan are often here today and gone tomorrow, or vice versa. Ptarmigan move about at will, feeding here and there, and loafing in different places throughout the day. I guess you could say that ptarmigan are sort of like a criminal on the run in that they move around a lot, never sleep in the same place two nights in a row, lay low during the day and try not to be seen out and about, and will jump up and move off at the slightest provocation.

Keep at it. Go back up there and try 'er again. Good luck!

Jim

Well my bird dog is only 3 months old, so i am solo for now! I never really got up above the treeline - only got about halfway up. I will have to go much higher next time if my machine can make it. Thanks!

BTW, Baldy is above the Little Su out towards Houston, north of the parks.

read up on the birds' habits, there's lots of information available. And spend lots of time out and about. Snowshoes are better than a snowmachine, unless you plan to get out many miles. Popular snowmachine trails are definitely near the bottom of the list for places I would recommend.

that said, you may have driven right past some.

Not many ptarmies around these parts this year. At least not yet, from what I've seen. Plenty further north and also south but have to climb for them.

thanks - i saw a few little ground squirrels and a few small birds but that was it - i got quite a few miles out and up the mountain, but i may have to go with the shoes eventually....i turned around at a hill that I wasn't sure my machine would make it up, even though there were tracks. I figured maybe I could machine up as far as I could and then hoof it from there to find the birds. I know about their habitat, but was just wondering specifically if there were any known areas on baldy that held them. Half the fun is looking though!

Quote Originally Posted by AK Explorer View Post
    Well my bird dog is only 3 months old, so i am solo for now! I never really got up above the treeline - only got about halfway up. I will have to go much higher next time if my machine can make it. Thanks!

BTW, Baldy is above the Little Su out towards Houston, north of the parks.
    Why did you leave the dog home? Anything you can do she can do, I can assure you.
    One of the reasons I have such a darn good dog, is she goes with me everywhere. Even if you are grabbing milk and eggs from the grocer, bring your dog!

In the last couple of weeks in the Chugach Mtns most of the Ptarmigan tracks I've seen were near the point where the alders, etc., petered out.

Thanks, Jay....I will keep that in mind.

Tailwind - no place to put her on the snowmachine or I would have taken her

Agree to a point with Tailwind....taking the pup can be good but be careful.

If you go out blasting birds without previously introducing gunfire you might cause problems...I was out last weekend and my big dogs had to work pretty darn hard due to the snow conditions. We hadn't found any birds, yet I had to call it quits because they were exhausted....with a pup you want them to have fun. It would not have been fun for a pup where I was, plus they can get hurt working thru that snow...I would also say that you should introduce the snow machine thoughtfully, it could be a traumatic first ride especially if the going is tough.
    If you have introduced gunfire and the machine, you can ignore those thoughts.....

FWIW,

I probably wouldn't have taken the pup along either, unless I'd had pup on the snowmachine previously with no problems noted. And if that pup is a pointing dog I wouldn't have been shooting at ptarmigan anyway 'cause it's just teaching pup the wrong lessons. Just keep bonding and having fun together.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Jim McCann View Post
    FWIW,

I probably wouldn't have taken the pup along either, unless I'd had pup on the snowmachine previously with no problems noted. And if that pup is a pointing dog I wouldn't have been shooting at ptarmigan anyway 'cause it's just teaching pup the wrong lessons. Just keep bonding and having fun together.

Jim
    Mr. McCann,

My 3 year old "broke" Vizsla is just about over his gunfire issues and will be chasing all varieties of AK grouse starting August. I was hoping you could talk more about keeping pointers off ptarmigan... you mentioned it teaching them wrong lessons. Glad I saw this before doing just that as it's the first I've heard!

Ironically, sitting here reading your book btw, brushing up before chasing last-second ptarmigan today! Thanks!

SaveSave