Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The deepest you've sport fished and what you caught

Default The deepest you've sport fished and what you caught

Part of the fun of fishing in saltwater is that you never really know what you're going to catch. For me, this is especially true when fishing at depths you don't usually fish.

Using regular old sportfishing reels, what's the deepest you've ever fished and what did you catch?

One time and one time only, 600' caught one 25 pound halibut and 3 arrowtooth flounder. After the 3rd one, it was time to leave. Man I hate them things!!!!

I've on occasion let my jigs out to about 450' an have caught lingcod, rockfish, and halibut. I generally don't fish that deep as I've found 100-300' seems to be a more effective depth for catching fish, and about as far as I want to reel in fish.

I have a few reels spooled w/ 1000' of line so if I wanted to fish deep for sablefish I could, but I haven't tried that yet.

550' caught a 7ft sleeper shark and a 45lb halibut....

Release Lake Trout

CanCanCase used to regularly catch sablefish at 1200'. I remember him posting about it on here. I've hit 450 once and all I found was arrowhead. Given the right conditions it would be fun to try really really deep.
    I'd agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong.

I have fished to the bottom of a 300 yard spool. I don't usually catch anything though and that time was no different!

I've caught a king on the bottom in 390, a coho on the bottom in 320, a ling in 500ftish, and a halibut in 500ftish.

Deepest king was 330', deepest silver was around 240-250', deepest halibut was around 500'.
    Once came over a pinnacle that came upto 620' from over well over 1500', went back to it and dropped 3 jigs and tripled up on yelloweye, none of which were very big. Won't do that again. 1 of my favorite halibut spots is 420', don't take many of my clients there but the few I do are usually rewarded nicely, might be a home-packing spot if regs don't change, not many 37"> fish there.

Compared to you guys I'm fishing in the bathtub..............!

Freshwater - 40' for a 42lb Blue Cat

Saltwater - 110' for an 80lb Amberjack

Quote Originally Posted by AkKings View Post
    Deepest king was 330', deepest silver was around 240-250', deepest halibut was around 500'.
    Once came over a pinnacle that came upto 620' from over well over 1500', went back to it and dropped 3 jigs and tripled up on yelloweye, none of which were very big. Won't do that again. 1 of my favorite halibut spots is 420', don't take many of my clients there but the few I do are usually rewarded nicely, might be a home-packing spot if regs don't change, not many 37"> fish there.
    Fishing next summer? I'm going to do around 20 trips from mid-July thru mid Aug. Looking forward to being out there with you guys again.

I caught a Mahi Mahi in 300 fathoms of water
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

I'll be back, had plans to work at a lodge in Ketchikan but that fell through so back to WF for another summer. I'll be in the same boat again this year, #18, say hi if ya see me.
    PS, sent you a PM a couple weeks ago, hope you got it.

A couple of years I dropped down to a little over 2000ft using a large electric reel I had. I did not fish long there, and did not catch anything, but I was amazed how good I could feel the bottom with spiderwire. You could tell it was a soft muddy bottom.
    2009 Seawolf 31'
    www.seawolfmarine.com
    Fully Loaded

Deepest i ever fished in freshwater was 650' in lake superior for lake trout... all i caught was a cold.. in salt water 250' and 40 lb grouper....

Come on guys, where are your pictures? It's still winter, I need some fishing pictures, especially of ugly fish from the deep.
    Hike faster. I hear banjo music.

I've fished 500'++ for Halibut and Yelloweye out of Sitka one time. Caught some nice Yelloweyes and our Halibut were good sized (35-60# average).
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

Quote Originally Posted by wildog View Post
    Come on guys, where are your pictures? It's still winter, I need some fishing pictures, especially of ugly fish from the deep.
    I've got plenty of pictures of monsters from the deep, but the first post stipulated sport fishing. Since you asked for ugly, though, here is one that came from about 2,000' down in PWS:

600 feet near Ketchikan. Fishing for halibut. Brought up an octopus, arrowtooth flounder, yelloweye rockfish, and if you can believe this, a barnacle encrusted landing net. But no halibut.......

For the guys catching rockfish in 500' or more, are you sure some of those aren't shortrakers? I don't have much experience in the 500-1,000' range, but below that all the rockfish we catch are shortrakers (very similar in appearance to yelloweyes) and some idiotfish when we get down around 2,000' or deeper.

Brian,

Gotta love those eels. I was pitchin' halibut to a greenhorn down in the hold one season and tossed him a live eel. Scream like a girl doesn't describe it.
    I'd agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast