Thread: Kicker remote steering ideas

Default Kicker remote steering ideas

A friend of mine fabricated a kicker steering system using a hydraulic tilt that he had from another boat that he mounted sideways (up was left and down was right). There was no speed control and there was a cable that you had to drag around, but all in all it was a great system. I have one of the rods that connects to my outboard so I use my main steering wheel I like it, but would rather be able to wander around a bit. Those TR-1ís are the catís meow, but are not in the budget. What other ideas are there for steering the kicker?
    If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction.
    Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

I like the hands-on method (meaning I've got my hand on the tiller handle of the kicker). I usually only use the kicker to troll so the cockpit is where the action is anyways and therefore that's where I want to be. No need to be in the cabin, can't catch a fish in there.

Troll eze from goetz engineering is suppose to be great! and built real skookum. Seemsto be priced about rite....its on my wish list for this summer.

Default steering the kicker

Quote Originally Posted by Jason in SE View Post
    Troll eze from goetz engineering is suppose to be great! and built real skookum. Seems to be priced about rite....its on my wish list for this summer.
    couldn't tell you about store-bought solutions; never had one.

But I had a connector rod (two steering arms I think from snowgos) that allowed swivel at at each end of attachment just attached to the OB cases; one at the kicker, one at the main motor. They were welded in the middle at the right spot to make it go straight, as I got it from its previous owner.

Then go into your kicker's ignition wiring, and patch it out to a toggle switch on the captain's dash; Captain doesn't need to adjust speed from his chair, just on/off.

So when you get a hit trolling with the kicker, the captain can hit the kicker-off switch, and then go retrieve the rod that's bending without any boat power being on.

Worked great.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason in SE View Post
    Troll eze from goetz engineering is suppose to be great! and built real skookum. Seemsto be priced about rite....its on my wish list for this summer.
    http://www.goetztroleze.com/

I've only had some limited feedback about these type of controls (Goetz or other manufacturers) from the marine mechanics I run into.

It seems that it might be a good idea to get some of their customer feedback/reviews before plunking down yer money.
    (read between the line here!)

- Jay

Default Wireless Remote

I have one PowrTran's PowrSteer units on my Tohatsu 10hp. The wireless remote works great.

My Gramps took the seat motor out of an older LTD. Made a switch box, and boom state of the art Remote Stearing. Never seen it fail on the kicker motor.

Anyone else have any experience with the Goetz Engineering Trol eze, Power Trans, or another remote steering system? I like the fact that the troll eze is hydraulic and I can keep the pump inside out of the salt. The PowerTrans Power Steer looks nice but kinda just like a beefed up panther. I would be affaid having another electric steering system.

Quote Originally Posted by Cliffhanger View Post
    I have one PowrTran's PowrSteer units on my Tohatsu 10hp. The wireless remote works great.
    Hello Cliffhanger - Will your steering work while under full power with the kicker or just at an idle?

Cliffhanger,

Does the engine still require a cable-actuated throttle link? Can you link the throttle, tilt, and electric start to the remote as well?

IceKing02

Yes. Engine still requires cable/throttle link. The ram only controls port/starboard turning. I just set my engine for the 2mph tolling speed I need for the direction of the tide, then use the remote to control turns.

the powrsteer is an electric unit right? how long have you had yours Cliffhanger? Its holding up well? where did you purchase it? Thanks

Jason-
    Correct, the Powrsteer is electric. I've had it a year, bought it online from PowrTran. The ram itself is tucked away in the battery compartment on the stern of my boat so the electric parts are completely out of the weather. I'll try to get a photo of the install for you the next time I'm on the boat.

For the last 5 years, I've been using a Raymarine ST1000+ tiller autopilot attached to my 15hp Honda outboard for trolling with excellent results.

It's a sailboat AP that can be adapted for outboard tiller use. It also has NEMA connections that can be integrated into your GPS. My unit came with a wired remote which really makes operation painless.

To better control the trolling speed sweet spot, I installed a Trollmaster remote throttle.

All 3 devices cost me about $700 which is substantially less than a TR-1 Gold.

You need to know going into this that using this AP for outboard use is a non-standard application for this product, so Raymarine won't provide any tech support & the warranty could be voided. As I mentioned earlier, I've had no issues running this unit for 5 years.

Charterboat Operator kodiakcombo's Avatar

Default EZ-Steer

ez steer is all mechanical, no elec problems, no problems.
    Providing trips for multilpe species for over 20 yrs
    www.kodiakcombos.com

I'm not a big boater, but remembered seeing this thread and happened to run into one of my buddies that is a boater. I noticed he had a homemade angle bracket mounted on his kicker with a rod with heim joints on both ends connected to the end of the main steering ram.
    We started talking about it and right away he mentioned how hard it was to get the speed tuned in just right. He then showed me his Troll-MasterPro unit which looked and sounded like it was a pretty slick unit for around $200. It had dial adjust for rpm, a button to go full rpm, a button to go to idle or hit that button again and go back to selected rpm.
    The only thing he didn't have remote control for yet was gear selection. But that would be pretty easy and inexpensive as well with a little thought.

FYI; Check McMasters-Carr(large yellow parts book that most industries keep on hand)look up push pull control cable. Many noons ago I have installed these for controling pto's and hydrolic valves of dump truck beds , wreckers, & bed mounter winches. with in a page or so will be lever controls for use w/cables. Reminds me of old style bass boat controls for steering. Hope this will to helpful options for your use. "And that is all I have to say about that"

I've made a mistake by double entering my post. ( after entering 1st time, screen said I wasn't logged in, so I did it again) At 71 years old and 5:30 a.m. all I can do is ask for tolorance! Thanks