Thread: kicker motor mount options

Default kicker motor mount options

Both of the boats I've owned have had the kicker motor mounted on a stand which was bolted to the transom. Looking at a boat now that doesn't have a kicker and the swim step is the length of the transom. Boat is a 27 SeaSport Pilot. I'm wondering if these steps are stout enough to mount a kicker straight to it, or would you have to go with a smaller swim step and then bolt a bracket straight to the transom?
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

My neighbor has a 27' navigator. His kicker is on a bracket on the swimstep. It seems to work fine.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Pete,
    The Navigator kicker is on a hydraulic bracket mounted to the transom. I have a friend with a Pilot that has a kicker bracket mounted to the swim step. There are a couple of issues with swim step mount. The engine is mounted low and when not in use can take water over it (how many times has water come over your swin step?). The swim step mount extends the kicker out past the transom and if you are going through waves, the kicker prop can come out of the water (long shaft would be better). I think the biggest issue is with the kicker propped up it sticks out past the swim step = potential to hit it when leaving the dock or coming into the harbor or manuvering close to other boats. Overall the Pilot house swim step will structurally handle a kicker just fine and you can make it work as long as realize and respect the limitations. I have a Pilot house with twin inboards and do not carry a kicker. Other folks that have replaced twins with single engines have cut swim step to 2/3 width and mounted kicker to transom

Quote Originally Posted by rhorn View Post
    Pete,
    The Navigator kicker is on a hydraulic bracket mounted to the transom. I have a friend with a Pilot that has a kicker bracket mounted to the swim step. There are a couple of issues with swim step mount. The engine is mounted low and when not in use can take water over it (how many times has water come over your swin step?). The swim step mount extends the kicker out past the transom and if you are going through waves, the kicker prop can come out of the water (long shaft would be better). I think the biggest issue is with the kicker propped up it sticks out past the swim step = potential to hit it when leaving the dock or coming into the harbor or manuvering close to other boats. Overall the Pilot house swim step will structurally handle a kicker just fine and you can make it work as long as realize and respect the limitations. I have a Pilot house with twin inboards and do not carry a kicker. Other folks that have replaced twins with single engines have cut swim step to 2/3 width and mounted kicker to transom
    Great advice. If I do proceed with this boat I'd tackle the job of cutting the swim step. Shouldn't be a difficult job.
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

Quote Originally Posted by rhorn View Post
    Pete,
    Well, I knew that one of the three of you had the kicker mounted on the step. Guess I need to "brush" up on the different Sea Sport models. Great point on the potential to hit the kicker when navigating around the dock.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

My Sea Sport has the shorter swim step with the kicker on the transom. But the mounting bracket moves up and down to raise or lower the entire mount and motor. That type of mount might be your answer for getting the motor high out of the water when not in use. You flip a lever, heave the motor down in one motion and it pivots up in the process, locking it's self into the new position, repeat the process to lower.

Moving around in the harbor with it on the back is no different than having nothing back there, you still can't be banging into other boats.

Quote Originally Posted by Myers View Post
    My Sea Sport has the shorter swim step with the kicker on the transom. But the mounting bracket moves up and down to raise or lower the entire mount and motor. That type of mount might be your answer for getting the motor high out of the water when not in use. You flip a lever, heave the motor down in one motion and it pivots up in the process, locking it's self into the new position, repeat the process to lower.

Moving around in the harbor with it on the back is no different than having nothing back there, you still can't be banging into other boats.
    Myers,

You said you have a kicker mounting bracket that moves up and down to raise and lower the entire mount and motor. I have been looking for such an animal but cant find one that would fit my boat. What is yours called, brand, model, etc...??

Thanks!
    Wes

Mine's a Garelick, an earlier model much like the 71091 pictured here.

http://www.garelick.com/product.php?pnumber=71091

The kicker is a 9.9 hi-thrust Yamaha w/ long shaft, and the boat has a 3/4 swimstep. When I'm traveling, I tilt the kicker up. Even with the motor mount raised, the kicker isn't completely clear of the water unless I tilt it up.
    Richard Cook
    New Moon (Bounty 257)
    "Cruising in a Big Way"

Quote Originally Posted by NewMoon View Post
    Mine's a Garelick, an earlier model much like the 71091 pictured here.

http://www.garelick.com/product.php?pnumber=71091

The kicker is a 9.9 hi-thrust Yamaha w/ long shaft, and the boat has a 3/4 swimstep. When I'm traveling, I tilt the kicker up. Even with the motor mount raised, the kicker isn't completely clear of the water unless I tilt it up.
    Make sure you choose the mount that is beefy enough for your kicker. The first garelick I put on my boat was rated to carry a 2-stroke a little heavier than the 2-stroke that I had. After a while, the mount started to bend. I then replaced it with another Garelick (make for 4-strokes) and now all is well.

Charterboat Operator kodiakcombo's Avatar

Default with proper planning

I ordered the same system I have on my seasport and gathered it all up when they arrived in the mail and took them to Kodiak city where my new boat was waiting on a trailer. I paid a guy who owns a tow company $150 to tow the boat to the Arc spark welding shop for some work. While Arc/spark put together the pieces I cut out on cardboard my duaghter and I cut the full swimstep and mounted a motor bracket, EZsteer system, and digitroll. It took us a week(7 days) a lot of walking back and forth to get the right lenght of bolts and blades for cutting and drill bits. It was a pain to take that long to mount a bracket. Seemed like a 3 hour job took a week. Emerson put on my 5 inch extension to the F15 4stroke I got, the swim step had a full wrap around stainless railing that I had Arc/spark cut and reweld with some downrigger mounts. THe guys at Ezsteer gave pretty clear instuctions on what lenght to cut the steering tubes.( I moved the troller real close to the drive 28.5 inches)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Providing trips for multilpe species for over 20 yrs
    www.kodiakcombos.com