Thread: scotland to alaska

Smile scotland to alaska

Hi Everyone.Myself and4 freinds are .fishing south centrial ak.for 10 days early july.We will be camping .driving etc.new place ,spices,salt ,fresh.most days.Keeping equpment to a min is v important.Iwill be taking 2fly rods along unless advised otherwise 10ft wt10 floting/intremed + varous tips .hope this will cover most of my salmon fishing keni/ russia .For lakes smaler rivers bows char graylang etc 9ft wt5 same lines as above.hope to try for a king on the fly if the oppartunity comes up.I am also taking a 10 ft light spining rod + Shamano baitrunner fixedspool realcasts8-20 oz baits/lures.might be to light for kings from the bank.hope ok for other salmon..wil buy tackle in anchotage if required.Any advice tips etc would b appreciated .
    Thanks graham.

Default thoughts

Carter and Crescent Lakes on the Kenai Penninsula are good for grayling I am told. I have read about them and will be hitting them in August when I come up for a Bristol Bay float trip. Quartz Creek is popular for dollies and Resurection River (I think thats the name) near the small town of Hope in the Northern Kenai Penn is good for dollies from what I was told. The Russian is very, very, popular. I got a great book recently that had tons of info on rivers to fly fish in Alaska that would be of great assistance to you. It is titles "Flyfishers Guide to Alaska". It has about 400+ pages of detailed info and maps of how to get to these and many, many more places. It is broken down into areas of the state and has like 80 pages on the Kenai Penninsula alone. That is about 1.5 hours below Anchorage in case you dont know. Tons of fishing there. The most popular spots in the state as they are so accesible. Also check out Vagt lake and Lost lake. They are on the Kenai penn going down toward Seward. Seward is a must see town as well as Homer if you are on the Kenai penn. polar shrimp, babine special, purple egg sucking leech with pink head, and mickey finn's are all popular for dollies. Woolly buggers in olive or black (beadhead), zug bugs size 10-12, hares ear nymph, and egg sucking leeches in size 6 are popular for grayling. Topwater flies like elk hair caddis, royal wulff, and similar are a must have for grayling as well. In the time of year you will be there, the dry flies should be a blast on the grayling. If I can be of any assistance, send me a private message and I will offfer advice in anyway that I can to help you plan your trip. You are in for a treat.
    Dan

Hi Gram
    Sounds like your on the right track for gear. Crater and Cresent lakes are good spots but if I could make a small sugjestion I would avoid the Kenai penninsula like the plauge. Yes there is some verey hot fishing in the area but it's crowded. Anything with road acsess is combat fishing(Standing shoulder to shoulder with hundereds of other fishermen is not my Idea of fun) I live here and dont go south of Anchorage between june and september. Personally if I was travelling here from Scottland I would do what I could to get a back country fly in float out trip together. If that not possible I'd fish the parks highway streams if you dont mind hikking in a mile or 2 you can usually fish alone.
    By the way Ive always wanted to fish your corner of the world.

Default Thanks for the info

HI .Thanks for all your thoughts.On further reserch ive decided to cover all options and take rods WT 3,5,8. I will buy a 10 wt hevy duty outfit in anchorage if I can find out if kings on the fly are a viable option from the bank.and whare to try.
    I dont know whare we wil be each day .but we will be halibut fishing 1 day out of homer.
    a guided float trip for kings 1day
    and if anyone wants to fly out somewhare thats fine to.We are actuly looking forward to a days combat fishing we have seen it on tv ,looks like a very socal event .have a few beers meet some folks. Dont mind walking a few miles to get away from the crowds either.
    Anayway cant wait to get out there and I will defenitly order that book.
    I was up in the Highlands of scotland yesterday It was very beutifull with the last of the snow on the ground .I was fishing the famous River spey 40 miles from the sea and was lucky enough to hook and land 2 spring salmon still sea liced 1 returend. some people have tried 30 years to catch one.I got 2 on mt first try. I am 1 happy man.
    ps do we need to b carefull about bears
    Regards graham

Gram

Cobat fishing social event???? Only if yer armed!!!!

Now I'am gelious the river Spey!!!! I've dreamed of a day on that river since I was a child!!!

Don't worry about me bears lad, just wear yer kilts and some water shoes, you'll be able to run faster than the others...K