Thread: Your Fav Powder for .243 ??

Default Your Fav Powder for .243 ??

Waiting for the phone to ring from the FFL, on our new .243......
    I've already had orders arrive with the Redding Dies, box of Nosler Brass, couple hundred bullets from Hornady and Nosler, case holder for the trimmer, Nylon cleaning brushes, etc.
    (Man, those Sinclair folks are Smokin' Fast on orders all the way to Kodiak...!!)

You get the picture, my tail's a waggin' in anticipation,
    Heck, I couldn't even wait for custom Ogive measurements,
    had to load up twenty last night, just to see what they look like. Hmmm

Except for a little RL-15 I had laying around,(only enough for 72 loads at 40 grains.)
    I don't have any of the powders listed in Hornady, Nosler, Speer, Sierra, Barnes manuals, etc.
    So, I thought I'd ask,
    "What do you experienced .243 reloaders like best, for Powder in this caliber ?

I'm trying to stick with IMR 4350, H4831sc, RL-19, and 17 for my other rifle, .270wsm
    can't really go wild on powder variety as it is closing in on $40/lb here locally
    Expecting I'll gravitate to an IMR or RL something, maybe Varget (?)
    It'll probably be .243 specific, looking for two types to start out with I guess

So if I get to traveling thru the city, without time ahead to test a bunch, what suggestions do you have for bulk purchase
    on something I'll probably find success with, in the .243 manuals ?? Thanks
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

Quote Originally Posted by kodiakrain View Post
    Waiting for the phone to ring from the FFL, on our new .243......
    I've already had orders arrive with the Redding Dies, box of Nosler Brass, couple hundred bullets from Hornady and Nosler, case holder for the trimmer, Nylon cleaning brushes, etc.
    (Man, those Sinclair folks are Smokin' Fast on orders all the way to Kodiak...!!)

You get the picture, my tail's a waggin' in anticipation,
    Heck, I couldn't even wait for custom Ogive measurements,
    had to load up twenty last night, just to see what they look like. Hmmm

Except for a little RL-15 I had laying around,(only enough for 72 loads at 40 grains.)
    I don't have any of the powders listed in Hornady, Nosler, Speer, Sierra, Barnes manuals, etc.
    So, I thought I'd ask,
    "What do you experienced .243 reloaders like best, for Powder in this caliber ?

I'm trying to stick with IMR 4350, H4831sc, RL-19, and 17 for my other rifle, .270wsm
    can't really go wild on powder variety as it is closing in on $40/lb here locally
    Expecting I'll gravitate to an IMR or RL something, maybe Varget (?)
    It'll probably be .243 specific, looking for two types to start out with I guess

So if I get to traveling thru the city, without time ahead to test a bunch, what suggestions do you have for bulk purchase
    on something I'll probably find success with, in the .243 manuals ?? Thanks
    I have been shooting IMR 4064 in my 243's for a few years with the lighter varmint bullets. Works good for me!

For 87 grain and lighter I vascilate between 4064 and 4320. Most of my rifles have liked one better than the other by a little bit, but they've both always been good. For anything over 90 grain it's always been either 4350 or 4831, again depending on the rifle. I don't have any experience with the slower RL's, but I have no doubt they'll be good too. It may seem counter-intuitive to use slow powders in such a small bore, but after all the case capacity is relatively large in relation to the bore diameter.

In the two .243's I loaded for, the 75 v-max and RL-15 or Varget is a great combo. For 85 gr and heavier, H-4350. A friend gave me a couple boxes of 100's and 105's that I loaded up target loads for my son, 4350 did a great job w/ those, as well as the 85 tsx.

I tried H-4350 w/ the 75's, and the accuracy just wasn't there, I've also tried varget w/ the 85's and it lost out to 4350. When barnes was clearing out the 58gr hp I got 500 of them, but I still haven't found the magic combo. I've used Hodgdon's on line data, and it's been spot on.

hap

After a bunch of years loading for quite a few 243s... (down to just a 700 and a 77 in 243 and a 6mm 700) I have come to like AA3100, which I consider identical to IMR4831, best because it works so well there and in so many other cartridges, too. For example I use it in all '06 case-based cartridges from 6.5 to WhelenAI because it gave me more speed and the best accuracy.

All that and it works very well in the 243...
    art

I had a friend tell me that RL17 worked well in his 243 and I thought about trying it. Has anyone tried RL17 in their 243?

IMR 4350 and 100 gr Nosler Partitions.

I've been working on a couple of loads with 95gr Ballistic Tips, VLD's and Partitions. So far RL-17 has been producing good velocities and case fill.

Default Some of my coyote loads

One of my best loads, Hornady 65 gr V-Max , 40.2 gr IMR 4064, Win LR Primer, COAL 2.645
    Also 37.8 gr Varget with same bullet
    With 75 gr V-Max, IMR 4831 42.1 gr
    Also great success with 55gr Nosler BT, 52 gr H414 (MAX!)
    All of these shoot 1/2 MOA (best, not average, avg more like .7) in my Winchester M70 Coyote Lite (New SC model)
    Last edited by dont45; 02-22-2011 at 18:41. Reason: Images don't show?

Been loading for the .243 for close to 35 years. I have 2 .243's and a 6mm now. Also loaded for my son and nephew until they got old enough to load there own ammo. IMR 4350 at 42.5 gr. with 100 gr. Hornady BTSP #2453 and Federal 210 primers have worked for years for us. Have shot well out of all the rifles I have tried them in. Have tried a couple of the RL powders and have not been satisified with there results. It won't be long until you will be a fan of the .243.

I bought my first .243 almost exactly 50 years ago. It was a Winchester M70 Std with a Weaver V-8 scope. My buddy and I bought a 50lb keg of 4831, and we shot mostly Herters 60gr hp bullets. About the only 10 shot under 1 inch group I ever shot was with this combo. I have no idea how many rounds went through this gun but many thousand. We bought primers by the 5000 in those days. I shot mostly prairie dogs, coyotes, jack rabbits and an few deer.
    The .243 is still one of my favorite calibers although I like lots of others too. I've always liked the 270 WIN and my old M70 Fwt is probably my best shooting rifle. It shoots almost anything great, lots of times with the bullet holes touching. My more recent favorite is the 270 WSM. The 90gr Sierra HPs smoke out of this one. I just bought a 325 WSM and hope to bring it to AK very soon.

I've got two (2) 243s... one is a Sako Model70 and the other is a Ruger Mod77VT. I shoot either the 85 grain Sierra HPBT which is a 'big game' bullet or the Sierra 87 gr spitzer which is a varmint bullet. Both of them are over IMR 4831.

H414 is my go to powder for the 243. It meters well and gives good accuracy and velocity. What else can you ask for?

I have only begun to load .243 in hunting weight bullets but I have loaded thousands for PD, coyote and the such with 58 gr V-max and VARGET works absolutely awesome for me there - I suspect that the 243 is fairly easy to get loads in many different powders though - Nosler manual says IMR 4831 is the stuff for the 90 grain bullets so that is where I am starting

Well, back from the range for my first time with this "Pretty Cool Caliber" I was totally stunned with the accuracy using RL-15 on the 58gr VMax
    Pretty convinced I am a big fan of the .243 already.

Thanks for all the info guys, I think H4831sc and IMR 4350 will be a definite for the larger bullets, as I am using those with great success already on the .270wsm.
    Then I have a huge stash of RL-17 already, so will be experimenting with that for sure
    (anyone willing to share numbers with this powder,...PM me, I'm really impressed so far with that stuff,)

As for new powders for the smaller bullets, I was shooting the 58gr VMax on RL-15 and pretty impressed so will get more of that but will probably go for a large amount of IMR 4064 for those smaller bullets and maybe a few pounds of H414

One thing's for sure, this is going to be Some Fun

Man, on that 59gr Vmax, I had six different powder loads on the first workup, and they were ALL under 1 1/2", three different loads were hitting down around 0.5-0.3 inch....
    and Flying Fast, as all get out. What a Blast

and it was fairly gusty, not a great day for shooting, but that little rifle makes me look like I know what I am doing,....
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

Man, if I was home I could send you a ton of info. The .243 is the gun I first started reloading with so I did a lot of experimenting. My current favorites are the Hornad 80gr FMJ's (99% sure I used 38.5 Varget) for plinking and small game, and 85gr TSX's (RL 17 I remember it was just under max book) for bigger animals. I prefer the bigger bullets because I believe they buck the wind better.
    Finally, Brad Childress is GONE!

My 243Ackley is twisted to run the high BC bullets. RL17 and 105 Amax's.