Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Scary email from DU

  1. #1

    Default Scary email from DU

    Not how I wanted to start my day this morning, this is an email I got from DU, I am a member and on their emailing list. It reads:

    U.S. House Appropriations Committee targets crucial conservation funding
    Dear Ducks Unlimited Supporter,

    The U.S. House of Representatives is proposing deep cuts to vital funding for waterfowl habitat conservation programs and is taking other actions that would directly impact waterfowl populations and your hunting heritage.
    These proposed cuts would significantly undermine the ability of state agencies, organizations like Ducks Unlimited, and individual farmers, ranchers and other landowners, to partner with the federal government to accomplish crucial conservation objectives. Just a few of the waterfowl habitat conservation programs and efforts that would be affected include:

    North American Wetlands Conservation Act grants – Currently funded at $47.6 million – Proposed - $0. A program that has conserved more than 20 million acres of waterfowl habitat.

    Clean Water Act protections – Proposed budget actions would prevent discussions from taking place that could restore protection to prairie potholes in key waterfowl breeding areas and millions of acres of other wetlands across the nation.

    Funds for USFWS land acquisitions in the Prairie Pothole Region, also known as “The Duck Factory” – Proposed 81 percent budget cut.

    State wildlife grants – Currently $90 million used by states to promote and assess the health of a state’s wildlife habitat, including managing lands that provide hunting opportunities.
    Proposed budget - $0.
    If these cuts and actions take place, waterfowl, waterfowl hunters and wetlands conservation would lose in a big way. In short, these actions would adversely affect all of us who care about, and have funded, wetlands and waterfowl conservation. What’s being proposed by the House Appropriations Committee will cripple conservation efforts as we know them. Elimination of NAWCA, an 86 percent reduction of acquisition for refuges and seriously reducing many other programs so vital to our mission is something DU strongly opposes.

    DU fully supports efforts to bring a greater balance to the U.S. budget, but these actions would be detrimental for future sportsmen and women. By cutting these programs, we are limiting the opportunities for future generations to enjoy the wonders of wildlife.

    Click here if you would like to learn more information on this issue, as well as watch a brief video on the subject.

    Let your elected officials know the importance of waterfowl habitat to you and your family.
    Sincerely,
    Dale Hall
    Ducks Unlimited
    Chief Executive Officer


    I just thought I would get the word out and reach everyone I could with this. Liberal or conservative, I think we all enjoy duck hunting and understand it is our responsibility to make sure it's there for our children to enjoy one day.

    -Rhubarb

  2. #2

    Default

    The proposed federal budget is targeting reductions in only 12.3% of the total budget. Basically, the non-entitlement and non-defense related spending will suffer the entire brunt of the reductions. They know voters will not turn against them, if they target areas that are only nice to have or education related. Medicare, Medicaid, Social Security and Defense (all untouchables) make up the remaining 87.7% of the budget...Smart Guys and Gals these politicians.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

  3. #3

    Default

    Well, I won't go into a political discussion, especially over the internet, but I heard recently on NPR that we were spending almost 2million USD studying the living habits of Chinese prostitues. I always do what I can to support and donate to DU, but this makes me want to be more active in my local chapter.

    -Rhubarb

  4. #4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ak rhubarb View Post
    Well, I won't go into a political discussion, especially over the internet, but I heard recently on NPR that we were spending almost 2million USD studying the living habits of Chinese prostitues. I always do what I can to support and donate to DU, but this makes me want to be more active in my local chapter.

    -Rhubarb
    Agreed...but I have to think, as most do, that someone will pick up the slack if federal funding is cut, thru donations and financial support, if they believe in the cause. DU is worthy of all waterfowler's supporting, but none of us should expect the federal government to provide the funds...nor should we be spending federal dollars on the Chinese prostitutes.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

  5. #5

    Default

    Why you gotta hate on the Chinese prostitutes?

    What I meant for this email to hopefully get at is that donations to DU are needed now more than ever. I hope everyone that reads this tells 5 people that they know and stresses the importants of wetland preservation.

    -Rhubarb

  6. #6
    Member muzzyman87's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    AK
    Posts
    311

    Default

    Yada yada yada.... Can't tell you how many DU emails I have gotten like that..
    I am not against the flippin kenai, since I cannot but suspect it keeps armies of the unworthy from discovering every other stream... ~Paul O'Neil~/~Wyo2AK~

  7. #7
    Member muzzyman87's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    AK
    Posts
    311

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ak rhubarb View Post
    What I meant for this email to hopefully get at is that donations to DU are needed now more than ever......
    I hear this every year... I love DU, but good grief, you're preaching to the choir on this one...
    I am not against the flippin kenai, since I cannot but suspect it keeps armies of the unworthy from discovering every other stream... ~Paul O'Neil~/~Wyo2AK~

  8. #8

    Default

    I'm not gonna hang around and argue this cause it is just a cold hard fact , but:
    DU is on some folks' 'sh__' list for not even coming to the table on Jim Swan Wetlands in the Knik Watershed legislative process. They do great things in many, many places - I agree, but on that one they let the mission statement totally drop in lieu of 'political will', Alaskan style.
    Leadership was fully aware - met with'em twice, but did not " ... have the time" for an area recognized by USFWS, Audubon, Oil Spill Response planning recognizing the "sensitive waterfowl area" signed by about every agency you can name, called critical habitat in 1985 by DNR and F&G, and was coming up before the legislature??
    Kinda spoiled my previous view of the org.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •