Thread: Backpack for guided bear hunt.

Default Backpack for guided bear hunt.

I am going on a guided brown bear hunt hopefully to Kodiac Island in the next few years and I am starting to buy a few of the necesities as I go.

What size pack will I need?
    I am thinking about the Badlands brand, any good?
    Which one?

Thanks Matt

Matt

Do a search on this forum for Backpacks and hunting with backpack. This discussion has been going on along time on here. There is a ton of good information without double tapping it.

If you are giong guided...a daypack is probably all you will need. You can carry more..if needed and the guide will appreciate the motivation I assure you. I would focus on getting in shape and using quality gear. Save your money on a pack, borrow one from a buddy or the guide might even have a couple laying around. Spend your money of quality optics.

Your guide will steer you more toward what you need once you make contact and start working out the details. If you have a couple of years....you got time.

Good luck
    DH
    President of Alaska Waterfowl Assoc.
    http://akwaterfowl.com
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alask...78020265619952
    AlaskaWaterfowlAssociation@gmail.com
    Gen.1:26
    And God said, let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

I did search but most of the stuff was about hauling meat and residents who were packing in. My case is different since I am going as a client. I dont mind hauling my share, just wondered what I might need.

Matt

Mr Matt,

On a guided bear hunt all you should need is a pack large enough to hold what you would need for the day and maybe the skull if the guide takes the time to skin out the head at the kill site. The guide will most likely pack the hide, I'm sure you don't want to cut it in half to help. Which pack comes up often, will include a few links.

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ighlight=packs

Good luck on your hunt.

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Quote Originally Posted by encore4me View Post
    I am going on a guided brown bear hunt hopefully to Kodiac Island in the next few years and I am starting to buy a few of the necesities as I go.

What size pack will I need?
    I am thinking about the Badlands brand, any good?
    Which one?

Thanks Matt
    FIND THE GUIDE FIRST. - Then, work on the "pack" issue.
    Joe

I've been hearing your commercial on 820 AM. Ol' gal that reads it has a sexy voice.
    Passing up shots on mergansers since 1992.

What Joe said.
    Contact BRWNBR on this forum. He's a brown bear guide with a good rep & will give you advice even if he doesn't guide you.
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

I'd take a small one. Make your guide carry most of the stuff. You have to pay 5 figures for this hunt, so might as well make him work for that dough.

matt...lol i like that. i'd hope a client wouldn't start out his trip thinkin' spitefully though! some guys pay 5 figures to be pampered, and some pay 5 figures to be involved and sweat and hurt and have a riot getting jabbed in the eye with alders...depends on the client.

Assuming you found your guide, as it must be unreasonable to ask about a pack unless you have one ( ) I would say something like a large daypack, 3000cubic would be more than enough most of the time. alot depends on how much junk you need to have in the field with you...if you need to carry an O2 bottle. might need a bigger one...but if you like to keep things simple and basic and don't get cold easy then keep it simple. This really isn't a topic to overthink...save that for your decison on a guide or how much to tip or when to go or how to pay for it...
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Quote Originally Posted by BRWNBR View Post
    matt...lol i like that. i'd hope a client wouldn't start out his trip thinkin' spitefully though! some guys pay 5 figures to be pampered, and some pay 5 figures to be involved and sweat and hurt and have a riot getting jabbed in the eye with alders...depends on the client.
    I agreee with Jake,
    I had a client that wanted to skin his own Bear and pack it out! He was very humble and very capable...So, I let him skin it (he was a Vet, an animal surgeon!) He taught me a few things about animal anatomy that applied to skinning! (grin) I packed it out, and then HE fleshed the hide and cleand the Skull back at camp. Easiest job I ever had! But, That's the experience HE wanted and paid for. And he was qualified to do so... So I let him.... He carried a good sized Badlands pack (not sure of the Model) probably 3-4000 CI , and loaded it up heavy everyday, even though I told him he didn't have to. He wanted to be a part of the hunt, and He was. He was more than happy to write the check and gave a substantial Tip. We are friends to this day....He wants to come back and hunt Sheep.. ha ha He's gonna need a bigger pack!

Quote Originally Posted by SuperCub View Post
    I agreee with Jake,
    I had a client that wanted to skin his own Bear and pack it out! He was very humble and very capable...So, I let him skin it (he was a Vet, an animal surgeon!) He taught me a few things about animal anatomy that applied to skinning! (grin) I packed it out, and then HE fleshed the hide and cleand the Skull back at camp. Easiest job I ever had! But, That's the experience HE wanted and paid for. And he was qualified to do so... So I let him.... He carried a good sized Badlands pack (not sure of the Model) probably 3-4000 CI , and loaded it up heavy everyday, even though I told him he didn't have to. He wanted to be a part of the hunt, and He was. He was more than happy to write the check and gave a substantial Tip. We are friends to this day....He wants to come back and Sheep hunt.. ha ha He's gonna need a bigger pack!
    Totally dig hearing these stories. ! I'm sure he's still thinking about it to this day. PS...choose the pack with care, and use it before you "use" it.
    Alaska Outdoors Television ~ Outdoor Channel

Quote Originally Posted by BRWNBR View Post

Assuming you found your guide, as it must be unreasonable to ask about a pack unless you have one ( ) I would say something like a large daypack, 3000cubic would be more than enough most of the time. alot depends on how much junk you need to have in the field with you...if you need to carry an O2 bottle. might need a bigger one...but if you like to keep things simple and basic and don't get cold easy then keep it simple. This really isn't a topic to overthink...save that for your decison on a guide or how much to tip or when to go or how to pay for it...
    i agree with jake one hundred percent...only had one client take my pack from me, and i didnt want to give it up...he humped his bear hide for quite a while...until he gave it back.

bring a quality daypack...bout 3000 cu or so is way more than enough for most clients. good luck matt, i wish you a fantastic hunt with a great guide...many to choose from in this state, but do your homework...as with any profession you normally get what you pay for, but good research and communication with many outfitters is reccomended to find the one that fits your expectations and needs.

zack