Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Whats your method to get up the steep stuff

Default Whats your method to get up the steep stuff

There was a post in the grizzly thread about somebody pulling a can am up a steep hill. Well it got me thinking about other riders techniques to making it up really steep stuff, also steep stuff with ruts rocks and roots exposed. Im not going to lie I get nervous and usually wont go up really steep hills due to a few close calls and standing a machine or 2 on end. Ive always tried to stand up lean foreward and gas it. I ride a 2010 grizzly 700eps. I ran into a trail up by metal creek this fall that i wanted to make it up but after getting up to where it became really steep and had several places of exposed bed rock that looked like I would roll, I decided to hike it instead. After talking with an old timer from the area he said the trail was cut with a polaris 6x6 on tracks. However I saw very distinctly saw mudlite tracks up most of it where i wouldnt venture and they were fresh. So lets hear how you guys do the steep stuff.

I had thought about what to do in similar instances and thought that some sort of bar might work by connecting 2 machines together. Saw one of these in a magazine a short time later http://www.jrgraham.com/itemdetail.d...l&itm_id=75988 but haven't tried to use anything like this yet.

I stop, look over my shoulder the tell my passengers to hold on and push the sticks forward and climb right up.
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

I take my boots out of the stirrups, and stick the saddle horn where the sun don't shine, climb up on the neck, grab two handfuls of mane, give'er a kick, hold on tight, and pray like hell.

Default overload the front rack

Quote Originally Posted by fishingyoda View Post
    There was a post in the grizzly thread about somebody pulling a can am up a steep hill.
    Yeah, that was me. The smoke from 4 mudlites spinning on dryruts (with some roots) was going uphill, up the trail, faster than I was.

If I had it to do over again, I would load the heck out of the front rack; mine was empty. Though I had my face about glued to that front rack all the way up, that wasn't good enough. I should have put 200, or maybe even 300 pounds up there.

Second idea I had for doing it better was to just stop, and then use my winch; there were good pullin' trees everywhere.

Third choice would be to use the rope-a-long that I keep with me, whether canoing or ATVing. I carry 80 feet of 5,000 pound test rope that will not stretch (Check AIH to buy this setup).

But no; I'm stubborn. I just kept my thumb on it.

Who knew that a Can Am weighs about a million pounds?

i think comming down steep hills scares me more since my brakes rarely work on my 3 wheeler. but going up can be scary too. o prefer flatlands or graual climbs
    Semper Fi!

Descents scare me more than climbs. Something about looking down at the terrain that I might roll an ATV on top of myself drives my pucker factor up high. And in my mind it is harder to bail off an ATV rolling over forwards versus backwards.

I've climbed some wicked hills around knik, king river, pinochle and etc. I like to strap one of those flat gas tanks to my front rack, that seems to help. Also, I usually stay seated and lean as far forward as possible. If the ATV starts to roll back on itself I still have some spring left in my legs to bail. If I'm standing and leaning forward I'm stuck in that position if the machine rolls. I watched a horrific ATV accident where the rider couldn't bail when the machine rolled on top of him.

There are times when I stand up while climbing but that is typically reserved for short hops up a steep bank or loading the ATV into the back of a truck. Otherwise I stay low and forward waiting to bail at any second.

Default How to drive back down if you can't drive up

More than 15 years ago I took a son to an ATV driving school.

The scenario was that it gets steeper and steeper and sometime you finally wake up and decide you really can't climb it.

1) They taught a bring it sideways method (you're ahangin' off on the high side (left or right) of the machine - then drive it downhill and count your blessings.

2) Then they taught that if its too steep for method #1 to work, then (while stopped, pointed uphill still) you keep that handbrake pegged while you climb over the handlebars, so you're now kneeling on the front rack (and likely praying too) looking downhill, and you slowly drive it back downhill (backwards). It is scary. I've still not had to use this method.

I rode partway up the hill on Pinochle Trail by Hicks Creek (that's the polite way of describing "Hell Hill") sitting on my front fender driving backwards but even then it started to wheelie and eventually it took two of us walking side by side holding the handlebars to push the front end down and one of us working the gas.

That's the only hill that's ever been so steep I couldn't ride it up.
    "If snowmachiners would adopt the habits of riding one at a time and not parking at the base of avalanche prone slopes, the number of fatalities would likely be whittled by at least a third, if not by half." ~ Jill Fredston, in the book Snowstruck, In The Grip Of Avalanches.

When I was in my 20s, lol, I bought a brand new CJ-7, all tricked out, and was out with some friends at this place in calif, creek on one side and a 1000' hill on the other. We were sitting there drinking a couple of cold ones and I looked at the hill and saw those tire tracks of those that had tried to make it before, lol.

So being a brave one I asked who wanted to ride with me?, lol ( pretty stupid thinking back on it ) This hill was about a 45 degree if not more. No takers, bunch of *****s, lol. So I take the top off and have one more shot of courage and take off, got half way up and the trail turned into water drianage with ruts every where, did'nt dare let off the gas or I was going down backwards, I did make it to the top, but it was only the hand of god that helped me do it, I went down the back side on the way down.

The funny thing was that when I came back around the back of the hill everybody wanted to see me do it again, I'm glad somethings stick in my head after the first go round.

Quote Originally Posted by stid2677 View Post
    I stop, look over my shoulder the tell my passengers to hold on and push the sticks forward and climb right up.
    Stid, How does that OX handle going DOWN steep technical declines? I know that was a big problem with Argos. They would start porpoising, and pretty soon you were in a fast and uncontrolled decent! Did they address that problem with their "Mid engine" design (better CG)? Or, Better engine braking?

That was one reason I never even thought of buying an Argo. I had friends and relatives that did though.

SC, I've had no issues coming down hill. Mine is hydraulic driven and I just pull back on the sticks and can just creep along or stop without a problem.

Steve
    Founding Member

Ive thought about sitting on the front rack or trying to weigh it down but it seems sitting on it facing foreward with hands behind you would be difficult but kneeling backward even more so. I did catch myself going up just a short 10ft hill this summer and I didnt give it enough throttle and got stuck teetering on a big smooth rock when i would give it gas it would bounce and started to turn me sideways and i couldnt let go of the brake to put it into reverse so my buddy finally walked up beside me and gave me enough push to not roll for the 2nd time that day. The first time was just a sideways tip over on a small hill with about 11mile on my new machine. Then my buddy tried to hit the spot faster on his polaris 800 and rolled it all the way on top of himself pinning him in some alders.
    Has anybody here ever made it up the trail out right before metal creek before you get to the 2 or 3 mining cabins there is a series of climbs up the hill that go up and apparently above tree line? thats where I was and it just seemed impossible.

I've drove the 8 mile mining trail by metal creek numerous times in the summer and winter. I never considered it a big deal really. There are a few nasty hills on each side of Friday Creek though. Those hills will get your attention.

Quote Originally Posted by stid2677 View Post
    SC, I've had no issues coming down hill. Mine is hydraulic driven and I just pull back on the sticks and can just creep along or stop without a problem.

Steve
    I also thought i had no problem because my vehicles would do the same..... untill it broke loose on a wet hill.

gremlin this trail shoots up hill to the left of that trail i believe and goes higher up and then parallels it again. I tried driving that trail this fall and it only went back 3 mile on the odomoter then there was a dead end where it looked like an avalanch or just erosion ended it. I couldnt see where it picked up on the other side. But you pass 2 visible cabins and then one that is built into the hill and very well camoflaged. then right after that the trail ended.

Quote Originally Posted by Rutting Moose View Post
    I also thought i had no problem because my vehicles would do the same..... untill it broke loose on a wet hill.
    That happens... I took the doors off my Swamp Buggy just for occasions like that!!! I like to keep my options open! (grin)

I hope Stid has a 5 point harness installed for each passenger in that enclosed cab OX, when negotiating dangerous, steep inclines.

Yup we are talking about the same trail, but I was unaware of an avalanche or broken trail. It has been a few years since I went to the mining camp at the end of the trail.

I was on the lower section of that trail last Sunday. Cabin 1 is flat out gone and the last time I was at cabin 2 it was one snow storm away from being leveled to the ground.

I've spent a lot of time on that trail and there isn't anything special up there. I don't remember it ever breaking treeline but it gets close.

Three years ago I talked to a guy at the pavilion who claimed to be cutting a trail to grasshopper valley from the glacier. Supposedly he was a year or two from completing the trail. Anyone spot this trail?

Quote Originally Posted by SuperCub View Post
    That happens... I took the doors off my Swamp Buggy just for occasions like that!!! I like to keep my options open! (grin)

I hope Stid has a 5 point harness installed for each passenger in that enclosed cab OX, when negotiating dangerous, steep inclines.
    It has seat belts. However, it is mostly a swamp rig, I'm not much of a risk taker.

Steve
    Founding Member

I was lucky it happen at the last 20 feet and plowed into some brush to slow me down. If there were people at the bottom I could have run them over before I knew it.

If I need to go up a steep hill everybody is now on top where I can see them. Coming down I come down first and they stay on top until it save. I also found if I have a moose I cable off and winch down because you never know what will happen with all that weight.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast