Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hauling Freight

Wasilla, behind 3 Bears on the Palmer Wasilla Hwy

Smile Hauling Freight

Does anybody want some help hauling freight, cabin packages, whatever? I have two 550Fan Super Wide Tracks and heavy freight sleds and want something to do. Might work cheap, especially for nice guys.

The freights sleds look like this

They stretch out to take long loads

and loads like this

Have a great day

Good looking setup. We have a guy we use already, but if I know anyone looking that I can't help I will send them your way. Hauling season is upon us..from now until break-up
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

BMunsell,
    Wish you had made yourself know about a year earlier. I would have hired you in an instant. Instead I bought a used tundra, built a freight sled and have been doing it myself. Nice of you to offer, hopefully someone else will be wiser than I was and take you up on your offer!
    BK

How much can you haul in one trip?

Anybody see the new Griz machine, its in a mailer that comes around the state. They are in anchroge at Quality Equipment, this looks like a piece of equipment I could be interested in. 11801 Gambell st.

I know somebody has some time on their hands, go check this thing out and let us know what you think.

There is a reason I am interested in this machine, any help would be apperaciated.

It depends a lot on the destination, trail conditions, if there any big hills, etc, but normally 1,200 to 1,500 pounds per load. The max I've every pulled in one load was about 2,500 pounds of steel roof panels. One winter we hauled 2 log cabin packages and misc. about 120,000 pounds worth in 8 trail miles, with one fairly big hill to climb. This was from Susitna Landing to Trapper Lake. Another winter we hauled 3 prefab log building to Bulchatna Lake or 36,000 pounds and that was about 70 miles on-way. Lots of fun and lots of seat time.

Bm do they handel well? The sleds?

I was out in a village that made there own sleds like this and those guys were pretty good.

They handle great. You can be scooting down a trail through the whoop de doos, getting beat up on sitting on your snowmachine and the load behind you is just floating along, no problem. These sleds were built by a guy in the Susitna Valley up around Talkeetna I think, can't remember his name, he has a cabin up behind Shell Lake. The main difference between these sleds and the ones you see going out of the Deshka Landing is the skies are long and skinny on the Deshka sleds and mine are shorter and wider. The really nice thing is that you pull on the tips of the skies as well as on the main load frame, keeps the ski tips from catching under stuff.

The flat bed on the sled below goes on to haul short stuff and has side boards for cement block, sack cement, shingles, etc.

bmunsell, The builder of that sled is Jerry Gregory and he does live in Talkeetna.

Beat me to it Big Bend. Jerry is a good customer of mine. I don't know if he's building these sleds anymore or not.

Default I'm needing some hauling done!

Hey, great set up there! I'm needing desperately to get some fuel hauled into me at mile 68 Denali Highway. Would be a 67 mile ride in from Cantwell. How many drums can you haul, and when could you do it? Would be glad to pay, and provide some free lodging and meals!

Thanks!
    Claude
    Experience Real Alaska! www.alpinecreeklodge.com

AKDoug, Jerry is not building them any more , he sold several of them to Ron at Susinta Landing before he had his stroke. Not sure who got them from there.

I got 3 of Rons sleds and Vern Epps from Trapper Lake got the others. I hauled freight with Ron for a few years before he had the stroke.

Denalihunter I sent you a pm to your alpine creek lodge email address.

Those sleds work super well. There are also other designs out there that work equally as well, but sit lower. Gary Soderstrom up north of Trapper Creek builds some for himself and they are excellent. One of his designs works like a log truck with a rotating section above the skis to allow them to follow twisty trails well. I've worked with him on a few jobs and his sleds are freight hauling beasts. I'll try and get pics if he'll let me.

AKDoug, Jerry is not building them any more
    I'll have to go over and visit Jerry. He has one of those sleds in his yard. I might just have to copy one

Like anything else, material hauling sleds are constantly evolving. Every time I see Gary or any one of the many folks I know living off the road system they have built a new sled based off their experiences of the past.

AKDoug, There is a guy out at Deshka Landing that builds a heck of a freight sled, that is Ron VanWavern 354-7001 . He does freighting out on the rivers.

bmunsell, how much fuel w/ a full load, from Susitna Lndg to Trapper lake, I take Susitna Lndg to Neil up towards Parker. About 5 miles short of Parker Lake. I'm looking at a SWT 06 lots of $$$ though. w/ 250 miles. I may have to do it. Do you prefer the 550 SWT to the higher hp??

I have two 2006 SWTs with the 550 fan. Normally pulling a good load of 1500 lbs or so they get about 6 mpg, depending on trail conditions etc, but I've never seen better than 10. That's running in low range part of the time, but not always. This last weekend I burned 5 gal in 35 miles of trail and powder riding with no sled, all high range. I could jet them a little leaner, but with heavy loads I would just as soon run the gas through and not burn up an engine. I've heard that the 800 v-twin SWT will get 15 mpg with the same load.

I actually love to ride my SWT, but it is like riding a brick that wil go 55 mph or so, not much suspension, really wide and short handlebars, but it will also go when nothing else will go and back up in deep snow too. Again, I've just heard that with the heavier 800 v-twin the SWT doesn't go through the deep snow quite as well, but I've never ridden one. It seems to me that hauling freight isn't really about HP, a SWT has under 60, but it is about a combination of HP and traction and the SWT excels at that game.

I rode with a guy who had a VK Pro and it did really well as long as we were on a good trail. It rode a lot better suspension wise, had a better windsheild and burned about half the gas. It would pull a load, you just couldn't get off the trail. The only other thing about the VK Pro was the transmission seemed really hard to shift and was not syncromesh, you couldn't start a load in low range and then shift to high like you can on the SWT.

The challenge hauling out your way has always been the ravine where you leave the river. Many times, even with the SWT and screws in the track, we had to double to get up that part of the trail. (don't try to put screws in the 800 v-twin model you'll tear up the under tunnel coolers)

Have you met Junior and Coleen from Neil Lake. I don't know if they are still out there full time because it has been at least two years since I have been there, but they have hauled a lot of fuel out to their place over the years.

I will have me an 06 SWT in a few hrs!!! I'll post some pictures, I'll have some other questions I'm sure of too, But I haven't met Junior or Coleen in person , only talked to him on the phone, He gave me pointers on my ride in, The ravine your talking about I was wondering about that, Have you ever left/pulled from MM 89ish from the parking area -across the N end of Trapper over south of Parker?

No, I've never been in from the highway that way. I ran into that trail, the one into the North end of Trapper Lake one time, just out riding though the swamps North off of the Neil Lake trail. I followed it back west to the creek, Moose Creek I think and then rode on it back to Trapper Lake, but that is my only experience with it. I know that Junior and Coleen have hauled fuel in from Oil Well road, but quite because it is such a long drive around.

Hope you enjoy the SWT. Be prepared to jump around on it when it deep snow, you'll tip over if you don't keep the balance going.

The main reason we doubled up the ravine was for steering. The SWT has a tendency to lift the skis off the ground under heavy pull, so having somebody hooked up close, not more than 6' or 8' helps lead you around the corners. You can pull right off the front bumper as long as you don't jerk starting off and then keep a tight tow line. Jerking on the front bumper tends to move it forward a little, its held on by a lot of little bolts through plastic.

Have fun.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast