Thread: Need a Job Before Relocating...

Default Need a Job Before Relocating...

I posted this over in the Jobs section a week or so ago and have received several views but no responses. I know double posting is not proper forum etiquette but my family and I really want to move to AK.

I'm looking to move my family from TN to AK but before doing so I need to know I have employment to move to. I am a licensed insurance agent with 12 years of experience in Sales, Service, Audit, Business Analytics and Project Management with the largest agency/brokerage in the U.S. I currently manage a team of 15 Client Service Representatives and a team of 7 Auditors. I am looking for similar work in the Insurance or Information Technology fields. I would prefer to be located near Soldotna but would seriously consider positions in other locations. Please post, email or PM me any information you might have about possible jobs fitting my experience. Thanks in advance!

If they're the largest in the U.S., don't they have an office(s) in Alaska?

Quote Originally Posted by R Walter View Post
    If they're the largest in the U.S., don't they have an office(s) in Alaska?
    Unfortunately, no. Alaska is one of 5 states we currently do not do business in of any type. Ultimately, it would be great if they were looking to expand to the state but that's not the case... at least not for the foreseeable future.

Sounds like you are over qualified for the type of business work available up here.

The construction bonding/surety companies that my contractors deal with typically are all out of state due to the millions of dollars involved - the locals can not handle the volume. I don't know where the self employeed guys in their contractor van get their bonding. Probably from a local commercial insurance broker.

http://www.alaskapipelinejobinfo.com...resources.html
    This link has several career links for various firms involved with the oil industry.

You'd probably have better luck parlaying your IT experience into the medical or other fields. A friend is an electrical engineer who was able to use his programming/IT experience to get a job in the medical software field.

Alaska can be a place where relavent experience in a different field can get you into something new, as there aren't always people up here who are a 100% fit for a position. That's how I got into my current field ~14 years ago, and it was a great move for me.

Thanks for the feedback guys. I'm looking at the IT side of things as well and submitting resumes where I feel my skills may be a fit. Unfortunately, it seems to be a slow go in that area as well right now with my specific IT skill set. I'm just going to keep my head down and keep pursuing everything I can. Thanks Again!