Thread: Gov Tags for Bison and Musk Ox at The Alaskan Bowhunters Association Banquet

Default Gov Tags for Bison and Musk Ox at The Alaskan Bowhunters Association Banquet

We will be actioning off two coveted tags. The Delts Bison and the Nunivak Musk Ox.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Some day when I get my million dollers I'll buy one of those but for now I'll just have to hope for a draw bison.

actually last time it didn't go that high at all.... I think this year again it will be very low in price.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Gary, not sure if you guys are required to set a minimum, but if you have a minimum can you tell us what it is? Thanks for all ABA is doing!

What did it go for last year? Just curious

curious as to the prices of both tags last year and when and where the mtg. is? thanks.

Last year we had Tok Sheep and Musk Ox, Tok went for 18.5K and Musk Ox I think was around 3-4K, the year before we had Bison and Musk Ox, both went for ~2.5K. There are no minimums associated with winning the tags, if you can latch into it for $25 go for it but I will have at least $40 on hand to out bid you!

I should also add, this isn't SCI, our average attendance is 150-200 people and bowhunters are notoriously cheap so you can usually get a good deal on the live auctions. The reason Tok was so high (2nd highest ever paid for the tag) was because we did some marketing to the guides and some guides with big $$ clients showed up to bid. Of course if we start happy hour a little early I think the prices would climb accordingly. We also auctioned off an Arcitc Oven 10X that went for $900 brand new. Food for thought.

Banquet is March 5th at the Sheraton in Anchorage. Tickets are being sold at Sportsmans Warehouse, Full Curl Archery, Screaming Eagle, Backcountry and of course online at http://www.akbowhunters.com/index.html. Price is $60 per person, and I think the social hour begins at 5:00 Dinner at 6. If you have anymore quesitons shoot me a PM or post up.

sounds like a awesome chance for someone. someday hopefully that someone will be me (fingers crossed for the draws til then)

Quote Originally Posted by Pupchow View Post
    Last year we had Tok Sheep and Musk Ox, Tok went for 18.5K and Musk Ox I think was around 3-4K, the year before we had Bison and Musk Ox, both went for ~2.5K. There are no minimums associated with winning the tags, if you can latch into it for $25 go for it but I will have at least $40 on hand to out bid you!

I should also add, this isn't SCI, our average attendance is 150-200 people and bowhunters are notoriously cheap so you can usually get a good deal on the live auctions. The reason Tok was so high (2nd highest ever paid for the tag) was because we did some marketing to the guides and some guides with big $$ clients showed up to bid. Of course if we start happy hour a little early I think the prices would climb accordingly. We also auctioned off an Arcitc Oven 10X that went for $900 brand new. Food for thought.

Banquet is March 5th at the Sheraton in Anchorage. Tickets are being sold at Sportsmans Warehouse, Full Curl Archery, Screaming Eagle, Backcountry and of course online at http://www.akbowhunters.com/index.html. Price is $60 per person, and I think the social hour begins at 5:00 Dinner at 6. If you have anymore quesitons shoot me a PM or post up.
    I don't get it. If a box store like Sportsman's Warehouse (once defunct and reborn) sell the tickets, how come all the mom & pops like Barneys, Mt. View Sports, etc don't? Anyway, for some reason that's the first thing that came to mind. Sounds like something worthwhile to attend. TKs for the info.
    Alaska Outdoors Television ~ Outdoor Channel

Quote Originally Posted by tdelarm View Post
    I don't get it. If a box store like Sportsman's Warehouse (once defunct and reborn) sell the tickets, how come all the mom & pops like Barneys, Mt. View Sports, etc don't? Anyway, for some reason that's the first thing that came to mind. Sounds like something worthwhile to attend. TKs for the info.

Some store will help us out and sell the tickets and others won't.Sportsmans is a community store. Meaning they are invovled with community org. They have been nothing but fantastic to all org here in Alaska....
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

I am pretty confident that those stores would sell tickets for us if we asked as well but like I said this is a small banquet. Between Sportsman's warehouse, archery shops and the website we sell 85% of the tickets, the rest I would guess fall to the directors selling to friends etc. For this year we had to lock in #'s a little earlier than we had in the past, no more than 250 tickets will be sold to the banquet, which I would be very happy to see given the ticket sales #'s at this point in the game

Just an FYI for those of you who miss out on the winning bid for a hunt at SCI, only ~50 tickets have been sold so far to the ABA banquet. To date we have the 2 governors tags, an AO10 and there is an unguided alaska float hunt up for auction. I should clarify that there is more than this for auction and raffle but these are usually the most popular..and the 45.70 custom guide gun..which for a bowhunters banquet is pretty ironic.

I'm quite sure Bob and Barney's would do most anything they reasonably could. If they aren't helping............they probably weren't asked.

Brett