Thread: Siberian Huskies and Malamutes???

Default Siberian Huskies and Malamutes???

I'm assuming with it being AK, that Siberian Huskies and Malamutes are very prevalent there. Are there breeders in the area where one could purchase a pup for a reasonable price or is there a better, more cost effective approach (i.e. - Pounds, Shelters, Rescues, etc)? What would be a reasonable price for a pup in the area? I'm not looking for a certified sled dog necessarily, but one that would make a good addition to our family and would make a good companion for my 2 sons.

Thanks in Advance & God Bless!

I have had German Shepards my entire life but always wanted a Husky when the time was right, such beautiful dogs . I remember watching some show and there was a guy I think in the Cordova area or maybe it was Seward anyways this guy was breeding Huskies and sometimes would sell them .

Quote Originally Posted by G3_Guy View Post
    I'm assuming with it being AK, that Siberian Huskies and Malamutes are very prevalent there. Are there breeders in the area where one could purchase a pup for a reasonable price or is there a better, more cost effective approach (i.e. - Pounds, Shelters, Rescues, etc)? What would be a reasonable price for a pup in the area? I'm not looking for a certified sled dog necessarily, but one that would make a good addition to our family and would make a good companion for my 2 sons.

Thanks in Advance & God Bless!
    What are you going to go duck hunting with? Huskies don't retrieve very well, and some refuse to swim.

Pure bred huskies are rather costly. "sled dogs" are free to nearly free at sled driver kennels or the pound. The Mat-Su animal shelter has a couple of dogs up for adoption after rescuing a bunch from a breeder gone nuts.

BTW "Alaskan Husky" translated means sled dog mutt.

Sled dogs make good pets for active people. Due to their nature and breeding they can redefine stubborness for you. Some sled dogs have no interest in basic obedience since it does not work for them.

One of the biggest issues with any of the Arctic breeds is their desire to see what is over the next hill. While you are at work the dog will figure out how to get out of the yard/house and be off on a grand adventure.

Does your family run as a hobby? If you do then when you get up here take up cross country skiing and once you learn you will be able to harness the dog(s) and have them pull you on some of the trails set up for skijoring.

If you don't exercise the dog they will get into trouble fast.

Thanks for the responses and the info! I'm not much of a hunter but love to fish. I'm open to different breeds (I know an AK Husky is not a breed) but would like something in the husky family. We are the outdoors type and enjoy what nature has to offer. I've had a Chow, Golden and several other mixed breeds and understand that a pet unattended is a keg of dynamite waiting to go off.

Anyone else have suggestions... please post.

The Jack Russel is a great all around Alaska dog.Any huskey in the summer needs brushing every day but the hair does make good yarn
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

In my opinion husky breeds make some of the most horrible family pets I have been around. Yep, there are some good ones, but their main job in life is to pull a sled. This isn't condusive to being a passive family pet, especially one forced to live in a house and a small yard. If you aren't looking for a certain breed, the best thing in the world is to pick up a pound dog. There is a horrible industry up here raising "huskies" because of their "mystique" of being an Alaskan dog. If you truely want a malemute or Siberian, really do your research.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    In my opinion husky breeds make some of the most horrible family pets I have been around. Yep, there are some good ones, but their main job in life is to pull a sled. This isn't condusive to being a passive family pet, especially one forced to live in a house and a small yard. If you aren't looking for a certain breed, the best thing in the world is to pick up a pound dog. There is a horrible industry up here raising "huskies" because of their "mystique" of being an Alaskan dog. If you truely want a malemute or Siberian, really do your research.
    Point taken AKD. Those two breeds are something we have always been interested in and have done some research on. I know they need lots of attention and exercise or it can become a nightmare. That's true with a lot of other dogs as well. All that being said, I'm not looking to drop a large amount of money on a registered full blood. I know there are way to many good animals at the pound that need a home too. I checked out the link that AKR provided and there are several Malamutes and Huskies available for adoption. That will probably be my approach when the time comes. Thanks again for the feedback!
    G3 Guy
    "...with God all things are possible." - Mark 10:27

I live in the bush and my husband's daughter has a mixed breed from the area. I would honestly suggest buying from an Eskimo village if you could. The dogs are really tough, and if you get the right person the dogs can be very tame. The malimute my husband's daughter owns is very tame. She has never once had a problem with the kids, and trust me energetic Eskimo kids can be a lot for a pup to handle. She has puppies at least twice a year and as long as their raised around people, they'll never have a problem. I disagree that sled dogs make bad pets. I believe it's the upbringing, not the breed. A matter of opinion I suppose. They are energetic and can be a lot to handle, but they can also be very loving and make great pets for young families where there's already a lot of energy as is.