Thread: Snowmachining on Ft. Rich/Elemendorf?

Default Snowmachining on Ft. Rich/Elemendorf?

Has anyone been riding on base?
    I have a DOD pass to get on base for the skeet range, but I was wondering if there was anything else required to ride.
    We went for a drive last weekend out by Otter and Gwen lakes, looks like a lot nice snow. Any information will be useful, Thanks in advance!

Your snowmachine has to be registered with the state, and you have to go through their "safety class." At least you did last time I lived on base and wouldn't expect it to be different now.
    The machine also has to meet some basic requirements, lights work, snowflap installed, etc. The safety class is a way for the certifier to check your machine out without specifically telling you that, as well as "to make sure the people can ride without being a danger." That was what I was told several years ago by one of the instructors.
    EAFB has some good places to ride. The lakes on base have several warm springs though, so ask about them. I know Six Mile Lake has at least two, as well as the ski plane runway. But it sure is fun to ride right after a new snow and before anyone else tears it up!!

AK Chappy

You have to go to the MWR watch a ORV safety video. They then give you a permit. You then do like you do for hunting and fishing you have to call the number on the permit and check in for what areas you will be in.

here is the website that tells you what and how to do:

http://www.usarak.army.mil/conservat...C_USARTRAK.htm

Make sure you know the rules and where you can/can't ride; Elmendorf has on set of rules and Richardson has another. Make sure you sign in on USARTRAK.

The video is just as much specific snowmachine brand promotional video as a safety video IMO.

I kinda wonder - is it worth riding on Ft. Rich / Elmendorf? I've driven out there in the winter quite a lot and it just seems folks mostly snowmobile on the roads, which are plowed. There are lots of dense trees on the north end of the base that limits boondocking. And lots of signs saying to stay out of areas. Seems like going further up the road to Ptarmigan Trail or Peters Creek Valley if it's open offers more fun without the paperwork and regulations.

Currently to ride on Ft Rich side of JBER you need:

1. Snow machines registered with the state.
    2. A Recreational Acess Pass for each person. These can be obtained at the Ft Rich Main gate. Same place you get your vehicle pass.
    3. The area you want to ride in has to be open, and you need to check in and out of it. This is done over the phone and they will explain when you get your RAP.
    4. Park in designated unloading area.
    5. Course is only required if you are renting sleds from MWR.

Call 384-2916 for more info and have fun!

Thanks Dave. I had heard that a class wasn't required but was skeptical. While going through the gate last week I saw a couple of snowmachine trailers stopped. Probably signing in. It seems like there is a lot of untouched snow available. I have been looking for somewhere to ride a little, without having to drive all the way to Petersville or Eureka.
    Thanks again guys!

I quit riding on base- way too many rules and they have security force wanna bees with check points and writing tickets for anything they can.

I was on Fort Rich recently. Not riding, driving. I could see if someone had never ridden a snowmobile before and lived on base this might be a place to give it a try. But being out there confirmed that it is not a great place to ride. Seems some folks ride the roads on the north of the base which is a) dangerous (can hit vehicles) and b) a good way to burn up your hifax. Doesn't seem worth the hassle to ever ride there in my opnion. But what the heck, guess people will just have to go ride there to prove to themselves what I just said.

I thought about jumping through the hoops simply to have a close location to check ride a machine after a major repair. Realizing you didn't get it right 10 min into a ride is a lot better if you only drove across town instead of an 1 hour or more.