Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Getting in shape for hunting

Red face Getting in shape for hunting

As we all know hunting is hard work, some more than others and most of us probably do little to no excerises. I for one have little motivation and with it being cold out right now, I don't want to go outside. So I just want to find out what everyone does (if they even do any), to keep in shape for hunting season. I am looking at doing more DIY walk-in hunts soon, but am in horrible shape. Bad knees, asthma, and just plain over weight and lazy. So come on people, help me out! I have an ellpitical machine, but thats it. So give me a little advice here, please.
    Hunt until you don't like it any more

I dont stay in the best shape either. But I do make an effort to at least get out and do something. Take up small game hunting, snowmachining, cross country ski, anything that seems like fun but still allows you to at least move around some.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by rimfirematt View Post
    I dont stay in the best shape either. But I do make an effort to at least get out and do something. Take up small game hunting, snowmachining, cross country ski, anything that seems like fun but still allows you to at least move around some.
    What he said. I'm also guilty in the beer department. But, I've been doing as much late season coyote hunting as I can. My lungs enjoy the colder outside air better than in "the gym" air. In the summers, 2-3 times a week, I'll go on walks over trails and uneven ground with a 25# weight in a backpack and progressively add weight as I see fit. Granted, I do go to the gym, but mainly on those crappy winter days, mainly for cardio and medium weight conditioning. I'm not a marathoner by any means, but I'm in fairly good shape. When hunting season rolls around, I can see the differences between me and my buddies who do nothing. AND-I'm not killing myself all year either to do it. If I'm lucky, I'll pick up my workout regimine a bit after I get my sheep or goat permits when the results come out.

I havent done nothin all winter really.....about 20lbs overweight now and feelin it and cussin myself for it....this happens every year to me...about the 1st week of march ill start fast walking/ light jogging about 4-5 miles a day (takes about 1.5 hours or so depending on how much you jog) and in the evening, ill ride the stationary bike in the garage for like 30 minutes at the fastest rate i can maintain, after about 10 days once the pain in my calves goes away, i start doin jumprope for about an hour every day....this really helps build by cardio and burns off the fat, then of course by mid april construction and landscaping/yard maintenance work picks up again....i did this last year and lost 21lbs in 5 weeks....by the time the snow was gone and the bears were out I was in pretty good shape for the season....just didnt stick it out after like I should have.....My brothers a personal trainer now, so Im thinkin about workin out with him....just start off slow man and work your way up....just 20 minutes of jumprope 3 days a week will make a HUGE difference to start out with, and it strenghens your calves and knees for climbing up the slopes.....

Release Lake Trout

I do not always stay in great shape, I ride the roller coaster, one year, I stay in good shape, the next year I am not in very good shape. This year is going to be a great shape year for me. I run and walk on the treadmill a lot. When I am at work, they also have a stair stepper there, that is a great leg/lung workout for me. I also play mens basketball 2 to 3 times a week when I am home. I snowmachine, I have been out predator hunting, and I do some icefishing, not the drive your truck out on the lake, but the hike in a mile kind. I agree that winter can be tough to get motivated, but if you can get started in winter, then once summer rolls around, you are in a routine, and there are much more opputunities to get in shape
    Responsible Conservation > Political Allocation

Sit on the couch and drink beer and eat cheezy puffs all week. Then load snowmachines and go with Rimfire to explore potential hunting spots and spend hours in bottomless snow up to your armpits trying to dig stuck sleds out and wondering if Helo 1 will be able to find you before you die of exposure. Determine that the potential spot may have promise, but at this point you just hope you can get out of bed in the morning.

Sorry buddy, I couldn't help myself...

I'm guilty as well, I'm bad about the cardio. I do have some 25lb dumb bells I use for curls and various presses in the winter. I do pushups and situps, but not as often as I should. This thread has actually motivated me to get some fat off of me!
    I will say, that stretching is just as important as resistance training and cardio. Lots of friends were complaining of massive cramps and injuries last year and most could have been prevented by stretching and being a bit more limber. I'm stretching every moring and just before bed as I have bad knees and it's mainly due to my legs muscles being so tight.

Keep at it and do that little bit of extra, it will pay off. Now I'm off to get a jump rope!

Mountaintrekker

Feb. 4th= 4.5 Miles (204/205 pounds)
    Feb. 5th= 6.3 Miles
    Feb. 6th= 6.3 Miles
    Feb. 7th= 6.3 Miles (Time: 96 minutes)
    Feb. 8th= rain, wind, 33* above, said screw it, no miles
    Feb. 9th= 8.5 Miles (40* above, and partly sunny)
    Feb.10th= 7.5Miles (201# 30* above and cloudy)

I think most of us tend to feel (and probably are) a bit overweight and under-conditioned compared to how we'd like to be about this time of year. I think that just comes with winter in AK. But as others have said, you have to find reasons to make yourself get out - whether it's hit the gym, go for a jog, go xc skiing or snowshoeing.

I try to stay as active as I can throughout winter, but with work and other commitments, it can be hard to always find the time to get out for a whole day of tromping around in the hills. Do what you can with the time you have available. I have a temperamental knee from highschool football days, so no running or high impact workouts for me. I have a lake nearby here in town where I can ski a quick lap or two (1/2 hour) after work to get a little cardio. Go for a walk - try to develop a mindset of doing little things that add up over time. Last night when my lady and I went out to dinner we walked the mile each way instead of driving. It was cold - we dealt with it.

As for motivating yourself - you say you want to do more walk-in hunts. So tape a picture of a big sheep next to your computer monitor. Then when you sit down to read these forums, ask yourself what's really going to help you get out in the hills and connect this fall: sitting on your butt surfing the internet or spending an hour on your elliptical?
    Pursue happiness with diligence.

Quote Originally Posted by Mountaintrekker View Post
    I will say, that stretching is just as important as resistance training and cardio. Lots of friends were complaining of massive cramps and injuries last year and most could have been prevented by stretching and being a bit more limber. I'm stretching every moring and just before bed as I have bad knees and it's mainly due to my legs muscles being so tight.

Mountaintrekker
    And that's advice worth listening to!
    Pursue happiness with diligence.

Winter Time Conditioning....
    Winter hiking on the Anchorage hillside trails two, occasionally three time a week. Be at the trailhead parking areas at 8:00 AM and you will be the first vehicle usually. And now that the sun is getting above the horizon around 9:40/10:00AM, you get to finish a two to four hour workout in daylight! However, the wind has make some weekend mornings "teeth-cracking-cold". Especially when changing into dry thermal tops half way through the workout!
    Treadmill three times a week. The bordom of a treadmill limits me to 1 1/2 hours+-, or only 4/5 miles. Anytime I watch TV I try to be on the treadsmill. Weight workouts at Elmendorf AFB, "light" weights, two or usually three, times per week.
    This winter have eliminated ice cream....dang I miss my ice cream,
    McDonalds breakfast...dang I'm glad that is over...
    Lattes
    most "white flour products".
    Have added more veggies than ever before.
    The longer days ahead help me focus. That, and the desire for a fifteenth (personal hunt) ram.
    My kids are out of the house, which clearly frees up more available time for ME.

Darn, i still need to paint the kitchen and those high walls in the stareway this winter!
    dennis

Second on the cross country ski. Gives you some cardio and keeps you limber. Cheap thing to gear up for it you go with the classic style. (and if you wear your carhart jacket you won't be mistaken for a greenie)

Second on the small game hunting. I rarely see anything, but the real point is to be out with pack and fire arm. If you combine with ski's even better.

After break up, fire wood excursions. Hump the bucked up wood out your self. This gets you out on uneven ground carrying weight.

I think doing activity outside beats any kind of gym or exercise equipment work out.

Trapping getts me out and about three times a week and coaching wrestling three times a week keeps me pretty streched out. Yet I still think the winter beer belly is ahead at this point.

Thank you all, I just did 15 min on my elliptical for the first time in like 3 months. I am sore and didnt really "want" to do it, but I feel good now. I will make sure I increase my time as I move along. Maybe tomorrow, I will do it wil a small light pack on? Push ups and crunches later. Gotta start somewhere, thanks for helping getting me motivated. I am hoping to do a spot and stalk on some grizzly/blacks this year. I hope I can get back in there to get one. This will make it a bit easier, I hope.

I hear everyone talking about hiking in the winter, which is all fine and good. I live in Fairbanks and 2 days ago it was -42 out! There is know way I am going out side in -42. I have been there and done that (U.S. Army). Once it gets a little warmer, I walk to pick up my daughter from school. That helps, and my diet isnt all bad. I do eat veggies and some fruit, but since I shot a buffalo this winter, I eat him A LOT. He is soooo tasty! I am moving in the right direction (I think?), so again, thanks!
    Hunt until you don't like it any more

I too have bad knees, and I have been doing quite a bit of skate skiing this winter. Its kind of hard to get the hang of but it is low impact and it is doing wonders for my knees. They are getting less and less sore and at the same time getting stronger. I will definitely be able to go that extra mile this spring for bear.

p90x will get you up and down the mountains. If you follow the diet, you'll lose a lot of body fat too.

Backcountry skiing, with a bit of hiking, cross-country skiing, and predator hunting thrown in for me. I have yet to find a workout that kicks my butt quite so thoroughly as backcountry skiing, and it is loads of fun as well. Last Sunday a friend and I went out for turns and birds - some backcountry skiing tied in with ptarmigan hunting. Not a bad way to spend a day, and it gets me in sheep shape to boot.

I've been putting in a lot of miles on snow shoes this year following Nitro around and looking for birds. The last few times have 10mile +plus days and a lot of elevation. I try to hit elemendorf gym atleast 3 days a weeks. I'll start hiking more during the week when the days get a little longer plus I'll be doing walk in bear hunts every weekend in May. What sucks is I have to spend the entire month of Aug at Ft Polk in a training exercise (who the h*** plans an exercise in Aug). I have a sheep hunt planned in Sept in the brooks so I'm hoping I'll have time to work out while I'm down there.
    The thing that gets me is my hunting buddy is half mt goat. I have trouble keeping up with his crazy pace. Oh well just more motivation.

After helping the kids with schoolwork, how do ya-al have the time your your own workouts?
    I'm impressed!

I stay in hunting shape as its the same as normal life shape.I also keep good batteries in my flashlight
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast