Thread: What is your fav trip? Help us plan ours!

Default What is your fav trip? Help us plan ours!

My Mom will be taking our 4yr old for the first 2 weeks in July. We would like to take a canoe trip while he is off having fun with G-ma.

We are thinking about 4-7 days on rivers and/or lakes. We only explored a few areas in Alaska (we have been busy raising the little guy and building the house), so we are open to any suggestions.

And for folks who don't know us, we are experienced canoeists on all types of water. I would be comfortable on class 2 water if we were going alone, class 3+ if we are with a group. We have paddled a lot on big lakes and on the ocean as well.

So, what would you suggest?

There are tons of awesome places to visit... Alaska is huge where is home? That would give some of us ideas as to which rivers would be close to suggest.

Check this out: http://www.alaskacanoetrips.com/Kenaicanoesystem.html - if you're considering trips on the Kenai Penn. Maybe a group could be arranged if you preferred?

Also, watch for Alaskacanoe, a Forums member who chimes in regularly - with helpful, experienced perspectives. Whether you rent or not, I suspect a PM (or call) to him would be valuable.

Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by sambuck12 View Post
    There are tons of awesome places to visit... Alaska is huge where is home? That would give some of us ideas as to which rivers would be close to suggest.
    Seward is home for us. We don't mind travelling to other parts of the state! We moved here 4.5 yrs ago and haven't explored much outside of the house we are building.

Quote Originally Posted by 6XLeech View Post
    Check this out: http://www.alaskacanoetrips.com/Kenaicanoesystem.html - if you're considering trips on the Kenai Penn. Maybe a group could be arranged if you preferred?

Also, watch for Alaskacanoe, a Forums member who chimes in regularly - with helpful, experienced perspectives. Whether you rent or not, I suspect a PM (or call) to him would be valuable.

Good luck.
    Thanks for the suggestion. We are planning a trip on the Kenai canoe trails this summer as our Son's first overnight canoe trip. We have done many day trips with him, but never overnight. We used Alaskacanoe to shuttle us a couple of time on the Kenai 2 summers ago while training for a race. He's got a top notch operation.

As for places we have been to: we have paddled a few Alaska and Yukon rivers. In 2000, while visiting for the summer, we snuck away for 4 days and paddled the Kennecot, Nizina, Chitna rivers. We have paddled large chunks of the Yukon from Lake Bennett to the Dalton Hwy. Last summer we paddled the Pelly from Faro to Pelly crossing. We have also been down the Kenai River and across many lakes and ponds on the Kenai peninsula.

Quote Originally Posted by cristancanoe View Post
    My Mom will be taking our 4yr old for the first 2 weeks in July. We would like to take a canoe trip while he is off having fun with G-ma.

We are thinking about 4-7 days on rivers and/or lakes. We only explored a few areas in Alaska (we have been busy raising the little guy and building the house), so we are open to any suggestions.

And for folks who don't know us, we are experienced canoeists on all types of water. I would be comfortable on class 2 water if we were going alone, class 3+ if we are with a group. We have paddled a lot on big lakes and on the ocean as well.

So, what would you suggest?
    Fly ovah to Dillingham and get dropped off on one of the many lovely rivahs over in that country. Phenomenal fishing, bears, sun, open country, mountains, and depending on what river, relatively affordable flying access. My next trip will have to be on the Kobuk and Ambler so I can stop and chill with friends along the way.

Quote Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak View Post
    Fly ovah to Dillingham and get dropped off on one of the many lovely rivahs over in that country. Phenomenal fishing, bears, sun, open country, mountains, and depending on what river, relatively affordable flying access. My next trip will have to be on the Kobuk and Ambler so I can stop and chill with friends along the way.

Thanks Mainah!
    We were looking at the map of that area last night. Lots of neat looking areas. Any recommendations on who to rent a canoe from and who to fly with?

A good canoe trip over in Dillingham area can be about any of the rivers or lakes in the park.
    the lakes though are very large and wind is always a concern on that area.
    One good contact is Bay Air ,, Janet and Tom have canoes and although not fancy canoes, they are canoes.
    One other option is to start at the first lake on the road system and paddle from there.
    the wood river also would be an easy paddle right from town.
    One trip in a canoe that would be fun would be a river like the King salmon river that starts up north of Dillingham, paddle the 50 mile river to the Nushagak river and then down that for a few days. you can get picked up at several places on that big river.
    Just give Janet and tom a call over at bay air though and they can give you some ideas of trips that they have offered over the years.
    One trip here on the kenai that is pretty cool for a week long adventure is to start at the lake over at Moose pass, ,, Trail lake, then down river to the Kenai lake,, ..paddle the lake ,, and maybe a day hike up to Cresent lake via a trial about 1/2 way across Kenai lake.
    then paddle down to Jims landing and depending on your skill go down the canyon to skilak,, then across skilak and down the kenai to Bings landing, or if you have good canoe skills,you can paddle all the way to Cook Inlet..
    I have rented canoes to folks for this trip. they were able to canoe in class 3 water and did the trip in 6 or 7 days.
    They enjoyed the great camping along the way,, the chance to stop in cooper landing and freshen up and eat a meal at Gwins lodge, and to see all the different scenery this trip had, both very remote and quiet to the busy lower kenai river with homes and such along the way..
    anyway.. just some ideas..
    thanks so much for all you great posters here on the forum..
    Our mission has always been to help folks get all they dreamed of out of there Alaska experience..
    Max
    When you come to a fork in the trail, take it!

Rentals for Canoes, Kayaks, Rafts, boats serving the Kenai canoe trail system and the Kenai river for over 15 years. www.alaskacanoetrips.com

My son and I did some Nice Paddle Trippin', down around the Southern tip of the Kenai Peninsula last June,

It was Ocean, and that can be wild, but there was a tremendous amount of Way Protected waters down around Chrome Bay,
    maybe you could get dropped there,
    but you could get down there from Homer if you're serious paddlers, and have the time.

Always love the coast, Rich with Life, Love that Tidal Zone Fragrance,

Hope that's not an overload, but This Thread Just Had To Have Pics

Have Fun with the Planning
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskacanoe View Post
    A good canoe trip over in Dillingham area can be about any of the rivers or lakes in the park.
    the lakes though are very large and wind is always a concern on that area.
    One good contact is Bay Air ,, Janet and Tom have canoes and although not fancy canoes, they are canoes.
    One other option is to start at the first lake on the road system and paddle from there.
    the wood river also would be an easy paddle right from town.
    One trip in a canoe that would be fun would be a river like the King salmon river that starts up north of Dillingham, paddle the 50 mile river to the Nushagak river and then down that for a few days. you can get picked up at several places on that big river.
    Just give Janet and tom a call over at bay air though and they can give you some ideas of trips that they have offered over the years.
    One trip here on the kenai that is pretty cool for a week long adventure is to start at the lake over at Moose pass, ,, Trail lake, then down river to the Kenai lake,, ..paddle the lake ,, and maybe a day hike up to Cresent lake via a trial about 1/2 way across Kenai lake.
    then paddle down to Jims landing and depending on your skill go down the canyon to skilak,, then across skilak and down the kenai to Bings landing, or if you have good canoe skills,you can paddle all the way to Cook Inlet..
    I have rented canoes to folks for this trip. they were able to canoe in class 3 water and did the trip in 6 or 7 days.
    They enjoyed the great camping along the way,, the chance to stop in cooper landing and freshen up and eat a meal at Gwins lodge, and to see all the different scenery this trip had, both very remote and quiet to the busy lower kenai river with homes and such along the way..
    anyway.. just some ideas..
    thanks so much for all you great posters here on the forum..
    Our mission has always been to help folks get all they dreamed of out of there Alaska experience..
    Max
    Thanks for the information. I'll contact Janet and Tom. We are intrigued by southwestern Alaska, it would probably be an adventure even if we didn't find a body of water to explore!

The kenai trip is a great idea as well. I'm going to file that in case we aren't able to work out something else. We have paddled most of the Kenai river in separate day trips (not the canyon--too risky with the child). We had planned a training run from Primrose to the ocean (approx 100 miles) but the wind was horrible on the day we had childcare arranged so we practiced maneuvering in the big waves on Kenai lake instead.

And I agree, this forum is awesome at helping each other. I have been a mostly a lurker since 2008. I don't post a lot, but I read the threads almost nightly. I have met some great folks because of this site.

Quote Originally Posted by kodiakrain View Post
    My son and I did some Nice Paddle Trippin', down around the Southern tip of the Kenai Peninsula last June,

It was Ocean, and that can be wild, but there was a tremendous amount of Way Protected waters down around Chrome Bay,
    maybe you could get dropped there,
    but you could get down there from Homer if you're serious paddlers, and have the time.

Always love the coast, Rich with Life, Love that Tidal Zone Fragrance,

Hope that's not an overload, but This Thread Just Had To Have Pics

Have Fun with the Planning
    Thanks for sharing your pics! I remember reading your write up on that trip with your son. Did you use a water taxi? I am going to pull out some maps and look at the area.

We didn't use a WaterTaxi, but our own small fishing boat as a base camp,
    we didn't actually overnight out of that canoe, but explored away from the big boat extensively.

We did come out of Homer on that trip tho, after running up from Kodiak to do some boat biz then traveled down.
    Wish I could remember the exact distance or amount of time, Maybe Five Hours at 8knots/hr ??
    (that's Homer to the area I mean)
    Just thinking for the amount a Water Taxi might charge you to get down there. It'd be quite a ways for them maybe ??

It's a little exposed on that corner below Seldovia, but you could Taxi there, then do the rest yourself in Canoes, in summer.
    Shorten the Drop-off cost quite a bit.

But that stretch of coast down there is just amazing, well protected from the offshore swell stuff,
    you could go quite a ways further to the North East also explore all around.

If you do the SouthWest River trip of some kind, ya Gotta PROMISE to post it w/pics, Ok?
    I'm interested, big time
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !