Thread: Emergency Procedures & Onboard Drill Courses

Default Emergency Procedures & Onboard Drill Courses

The Alaska Marine Safety Education Association is having some courses in Fairbanks on March 18 & 19. These course may be free if you meet the requirements of being a Commerical Fisherman. contact AMSEA at 907-747-3287 or on line at www.amsea.org
    Some of the course covers immersion suits, saftey equipment, and life rafts. The site also list other area's of the state that classes will be held.

To All: I just signed up for AMSEA's "Emergency Procedures & Onboard Drills Course that's scheduled in Fairbanks from 6-9 PM, Fri, 18 Mar 11 and 8-4 PM, Sat, 19 Mar 11. It's a free course for Comml and Charter Boat operators and $170, otherwise. It will be hands on drill so you need to bring your emersion suit. We are to meet at UAF School of Fisheries in the Oneal Bldg, Rm 201, on Yukon Drive. Call AMSEA @ 907-747-3287 or email www.amsea.org to sign up. The Instructor is Mark Young @ 907-590-3454. It's open to the public also.
    If you do not have an emersion suit they will supply 1.

Is this some sort of new requirement?????or do you just need a course on how to get dressed and jump out of your boat ????

Captain T
    I am Not really sure but will know after the class. I know on a commerical vessel your have to have an immersion suit for each person and if the vessel is longer than 36ft a commerical raft. Call Mark Young @ 907-590-3454 he should know.

Captaindd great thread! AMSEA does great work. I have not seen or met Mark, but have yet to not be impressed by an amsea trainer. That course will most likely deal with issues more likely experienced on a larger boat. A review of liferafts, solas kits, epirbs, PLBs, lifejackes,maydays, drills, that kind of thing. I'll be interested to hear if they tailered to to the smaller vessels that fish in the northwest. I would highly suggest this class to anyone though. You can never be to prepared or to ready. A friend's 28 foot recreational boat sank this winter, and he knew how to do his mayday and deal with the issues b/c of AMSEA training. 5 people in the water, 5 people rescued.

Thank you for promoting and signing up for the Drill Conductor Course in Fairbanks. Just wanted to make a small correction to your post - Our courses are FREE to Commercial Fishermen only, thanks to funding provided by CDC/NIOSH and the USCG. Of course, all mariners are welcome, the price is $175, or $125 for AMSEA members, and it is a 2 day course, but is basically a 10-hr course. Friday March 18 is from 5:30pm - 8:30pm and Saturday March 19 is from 8:00am - 6:00pm. Registration is required, since space is limited, or we may have to cancel it if we do not have enough participants registered. Call AMSEA at 907-747-3287 to register, or register online at www.amsea.org. Also check out our website to see all of our scheduled courses, or call to schedule a course near you.
    Quote Originally Posted by captaindd View Post
    To All: I just signed up for AMSEA's "Emergency Procedures & Onboard Drills Course that's scheduled in Fairbanks from 6-9 PM, Fri, 18 Mar 11 and 8-4 PM, Sat, 19 Mar 11. It's a free course for Comml and Charter Boat operators and $170, otherwise. It will be hands on drill so you need to bring your emersion suit. We are to meet at UAF School of Fisheries in the Oneal Bldg, Rm 201, on Yukon Drive. Call AMSEA @ 907-747-3287 or email www.amsea.org to sign up. The Instructor is Mark Young @ 907-590-3454. It's open to the public also.
    If you do not have an emersion suit they will supply 1.

Just a reminder of some of the Emergency Procedures & Onboard Drill courses that we have lined up for May & June. Call 907-747-3287 to register, courses can fill up quickly.
    Sat. Apr. 30 Homer, AK
    Thurs. May 5 Cordova, AK
    Sat. May 7 Cordova, AK
    Sat. May 7 Anchorage, AK
    Sun. May 8 Craig, AK
    Thurs. May 19 Haines, AK
    Tues. May 12 (tentative) - Valdez, AK
    Tues. May 24 (tentative) Valdez, AK
    Tues. May 24 Sitka, AK
    Thurs. June 2 & Fri. June 3 (two-day class) Dillingham, AK
    Thurs. June 9 Naknek, AK
    Fri. June 10 Naknek, AK