Thread: Newbie thinking about heading to Skilak

Default Newbie thinking about heading to Skilak

Decided this is the year to try hardwater. Planning a trip down to KP in the middle of the week. Would appreciate any gear, method, location... pointers that aren't super secret. For the super secret ones you can always PM me.

good luck ive been trying to get info out of this forum and no luck yet

lots of great info here, just need to do a bit of reading.

We went there once this year, and it was pretty slow. We parked at the lower Skilak Landing and hiked the 1 mile across the ice towards the mouth. There were a few other people out there fishing, seen a couple of nice bows pulled out. I'm thinking we were in the wrong channel or something, because all we caught were dinkers. We did catch three species, Laker, Dolly, and 'Bow, which was pretty cool. I haven't completely gave up on the lake, I've seen some bigguns pulled out on YouTube. Good Luck, let us know how you do.

Fish On!
    You know your not catching any fish when you start talking about the weather...

http://www.alaskansalmonslayers.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Brown View Post
    good luck ive been trying to get info out of this forum and no luck yet
    Lol. gotta earn your stripes here
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

I've heard from experienced Skilakers that some nice fish are caught further back from the mouth. I can't speak from experience, however. I've pulled a few decent rainbows out of there, and some small silvery looking lakers, but nothing to write home about.

Check the regs, but fresh shrimp or roe is always a good place to start. Small spoons and jigs can also be very effective. Most people target the mouth. Don't be afraid to move around and put in new holes, especially if you have never fished that lake. There are also plenty of other lakes in that area that hold fish. Bring your camp chair and a stiff drink and enjoy!!

Correct me if I'm wrong but the mouth of the lake is at the other end of the lake. If you park at lower Skilak campground it would be a lot longer hike to the mouth of the lake. Just trying to clear that up for first time visitors.