Thread: Who likes their Tohatsu 50TLDI?

Default Who likes their Tohatsu 50TLDI?

A friend of mine is looking at a used one for a decent price and plans to put a jet on it.
    Anyone have any input on that.
    No local support where we live though.

Oz

what part of the state are you in ?

There's an almost new 2010 T. 50 jet on Anchorage Craigslist. I have a 6 hp T. for my porta-bote and haven't had a problem in 6 years. I know of several guys who swear by their higher hp models.

We live in Southeast. I learned we do actually have a Tohatsu dealer here.
    I saw that one in Anc today too. Good price.

Oz

I live in Juneau and have a 50TLDI that I swap between pump and prop with. Mine is a first generation 2001. It is a really strong motor and pretty quiet for a two stroke with the prop on it. I have it on a 16' SeaArk jet tunnel. I was at the Anchorage Boat show and Marita ski and sea has a 50TLDI with a factory pump (don't know the price) but I guess that Tohatsu will now sell you one setup as a jet.

With the pump on it I have to run it about 5000 RPM to be up on step and it tops out at maybe 5600 RPM. The 16'er really likes the next size pump larger but it works as is. BE a real sweet setup on a 14' jet skiff. I have run 3 adults upriver no problem.

The motor is really efficient and reliable.... but I did get 2 TLDI pumps replaced (under warrantly whew) that blew up and those puppy's are $1200. Then I got a mechanic to adjust the oil unit to deliver more oil to the TLDI pump and haven't blown another unit.

Speaking of oil the oil resovoir lasts a long time so it is good on the oil too. How much do they want for their 50tldi?

Sobie2

I saw the 50 TLDI on CL as well and fro 3500 w/ a pump that is about half-price. I own a 2009 50 TLDI and enjoy it more each time I see or hear an E-tec. So happy I paid less and got more. Only thing I don't like is the purple in the lettering, but you stop caring about that soon as your on the throttle.
    My2

Sobie, are you saying there are 2 jet pump sizes available for this motor?
    Is it the direct inj. pump you replaced twice? If so is it lubed with mix oil?
    I think the guy wanted $1900 for a low hr. 2004 with a prop lower unit.
    The dealer here wants almost 10K for a 2010 with a pump.......Yes, I barfed.
    I could get an F90 yami for less than that.

Oz
    Last edited by Dirtyoz; 02-15-2011 at 18:52. Reason: change

Oz,

I have a 2008 50hp TLDI and the only thing about which I can complain is the 2-stroke smell. It's not terrible, however. You'll just notice it. Mine has proven quite powerful, efficient and responsive. No complaints here! If you can get one for $3500 with a pump I'd say to go jump on it asap! You're not likely to be disappointed with the power, economy or engine weight. The Tohatsu does burn some fairly expensive 2-stroke oil in a separate reservoir. I'd purchase by the gallon, at least, and a 2.5gallon is my usual stock bottle. I'll carry a one-gallon bottle in addition to a full reservoir just to be darn sure, not that I've ever used more than a quart or two over the weekend.

Cheers,

IceKing02

Anyone service Tohatsu's on the Kenai Peninsula? It wouldn't keep me from buying one; they seem to get good reviews.
    jim

No I am not saying that there are 2 jet pump sizes for this motor. What I have heard from other jetboaters that a 55hp or 60 hp motors run that large size jet pump where as the 50hp motors run the medium size pump.

The TLDI pump is the air compressor motor. It is lubed with straight oil. Both times it failed it was catastrophic.

I do not notice the two stroke smell at all. As a matter of fact when I first bought it myself and others were amazed at the lack of smell and were happy at the end of the day when we went home that we didn't smell.

The manual states that you can run any number of synthetic two stroke oil. I run either mercury optimax oil (bought in bulk) or Yamaha 2M lube. and it lasts forever. The internal resivor seems to last for a number of fuel tanks.

I'll have to second what Sobie2 said about the air compressor motor and the oil burn...when the compressor fails you aren't going any further. Mine ate enough sea spray to somehow kill the compressor last year. Thankfully this happened while putting in at Skilak and not while I was sitting in Garden Cove a couple of weeks earlier.
    The Optimax oil lasts a pretty long time so when I can burn through a reservoir plus a quart it is only because I have been burning through 25-30gallons of fuel on a weekend. When I say that you can smell the 2-stroke I don't mean that you will smell LIKE a 2-stroke engine. I might just have a sensitive sniffer when idling...

Did you guys replace the air compressor unit yourselves or use a service center? Cost/difficulty of part and repair?

Fortunately for me both were covered under warranty, as was the work. They are/were about $1200 I was told. But they are easy to swap out yourself. Both pumps blew out before the motor even had 150 hrs. I am keeping my fingers crossed about having the oiling unit send more oil to the pump since my motor is well out of the warranty period now.

Sobie2