Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sea Sick?

Default Sea Sick?

So my FIL is taking my son (8) out on the salt for the first time on Wed. I want him to have a good time so plan on picking up something for a little insurance against sea sickness. I haven't used anything for it in over 10 years, is dramamine still the go-to treatment?

My wife swears by Bonine. Looks like a pack of rolaids. We always give it to new passengers that are not sure if they get sea sick or not before we leave the dock. No problems so far. If folks are known chummers, we recommend one the night before and one again that morning. Also check out this link http://mythbustersresults.com/episode43

The thing with most sea sickness medicines is they tend to knock people out. I'd say a mild breakfast and some saltines and ginger snaps to snack on should do the trick, unless you know your child is prone to sea sickness.

My boys did learn a few years back that donuts and gatorade are a poor choice for a breakfast in rough water :O

Quote Originally Posted by Paul H View Post
    The thing with most sea sickness medicines is they tend to knock people out. I'd say a mild breakfast and some saltines and ginger snaps to snack on should do the trick, unless you know your child is prone to sea sickness.

My boys did learn a few years back that donuts and gatorade are a poor choice for a breakfast in rough water :O
    I'll take feeling a little tired to wanting to hurl my guts out and curl up in a ball and die. If you read the side effects on Bonine, some kids instead of getting drousy get excited. Not everyone has side effects or same side effects. My wife and youngest boy don't get drousy from it. Either way its better than being a chummer whether you have anything left to chum or not.

boy would i like to try that bonine
    Semper Fi!

Though I've never had any issues with sea-sickness, some of my guests say they have the best results when they take a Dramamine/Bonine the night before then again a half hour or so before eating breakfast (avoid greasy foods). Gives the body a chance to adjust. If you/they wait till you need it, its to late.

My 10 year old son uses a half dose of the Bonine. With the half dose he gets to stay awake for the ride out and fish for a bit then sleep until we get back into port.
    Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day,
    Teach a man to fish and he'll also learn to drink, lie, and avoid the honey do list.

I have had really good luck with candied ginger. I just start munching on a few pieces on way to the fishing spot, works like a charm. However, ginger is pretty spicy and not for everyone! I on the other hand love the stuff!

With young kids I would be sure to tell them to be looking outside, or be out on the back of the boat looking at the horizon as much as possible. They don't naturally know to do this, and I think this is why they get sick more. I also agree with Bonine knocking the kids out. I had that happen on a trip last year where they were useless once it got in their system.
    2009 Seawolf 31'
    www.seawolfmarine.com
    Fully Loaded

I used to get sea sick, mostly over it now, but the pills never worked for me. Then they came out with a patch with the drug scopalomine on it...had to take it off the market for awhile, to get it better calibrated, but now it's back on. I do not know if it comes in a child/junior dose or not, and it is Rx only. It never made me sleepy but really worked.

Another motion sickness pill on the market is meclizine HCL, it says on the bottle may cause sleepiness...you might just talk to your pharmacist about all these meds and your son and see what is recommended, they get a lot of feedback from people that use these things.

Take a non drowsy Dramamine right before they go to bed and right when they wake up. Also give them a Ginger capsule. They are tiny and don't taste bad at all. They will settle your stomach QUICK. Feels like a big ice cube is in your tummy

I use the scopolamine patches and never get sick.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

Quote Originally Posted by Cap'n Ron View Post
    Another motion sickness pill on the market is meclizine HCL, it says on the bottle may cause sleepiness...you might just talk to your pharmacist about all these meds and your son and see what is recommended, they get a lot of feedback from people that use these things.
    DUH....shudda googled it first, BONINE is Meclizine HCL ... but you can ask the pharmacist for M-HCL and you will get the same stuff as bonine, but generic, for way less cost!

my experience with kids is that if they don't get car sick they don't seem to get sea sick. it might be worth thinking about whether your son might be o.k. with no pills, especially if they are not going out in rollers and just staying in potentially choppy water.

Default Ginger Cookies, Happy Meds

We're big on Ginger, it really works,
    you can find it concentrated a bit, in pill form but
    the good old Ginger Cookie is some, "Happy to Eat 'Em," Meds, for the way out, they'll fill up on them. Works Well for our boys
    (as a side note, the Full stomach is better than any med going)

If you are fairly sure he'll be having problems, (sometimes they can psych themselves into it pretty good), I'd say the patches are the best bet. I believe they are controlled release or something that is smoother than the pill slam

Personally I'd stay away from the Dram/Bon stuff, especially for kids, it just hits the body too hard. Real hard to have fun with all that in there.
    Been watching Deckhands try different things for yrs, we stopped allowing any of that stuff on board at all many yrs ago, just for the lack of alertness that goes with it.

Bring patches, but I'd Try Ginger Cookies for sure
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

Quote Originally Posted by Cap'n Ron View Post
    I used to get sea sick, mostly over it now, but the pills never worked for me. Then they came out with a patch with the drug scopalomine on it...had to take it off the market for awhile, to get it better calibrated, but now it's back on. I do not know if it comes in a child/junior dose or not, and it is Rx only. It never made me sleepy but really worked.

My wife has good luck with Transderm Scop (scopalomine) patches perscribed by her doctor as Cap'n Ron has stated.
    http://www.transdermscop.com/ Here's the link to the ones she uses.
    Follow directions ~especially don't leve them on longer than recommended. We were on the water a full weekend and she started to get blurred vision. This happened just months after she has Lasik Vision Correction ~ talk about getting our attention...

Quote Originally Posted by AkKings View Post
    Though I've never had any issues with sea-sickness, some of my guests say they have the best results when they take a Dramamine/Bonine the night before then again a half hour or so before eating breakfast (avoid greasy foods). Gives the body a chance to adjust. If you/they wait till you need it, its to late.
    I 2nd what AkKings said.. take the dramamine/bonine the night before.. get it working in your(their) system... if you wait til you(they) start to feel ill, it'll be too late... However, on the other side of the coin... if you start feeding the kid pills you'll never know if he really needed them or not... /John

Take a dramamine the night before. It has a long half life so it is still in your system the next day. Scopace patches are good too and do not make you as drowsy plus they last a whole weekend. There also now is a scopace pill that works great too. Fred Meyer sells crystalized ginger in the health food section that can help. New Sagaya sells some ginger candy that helps too.

Most of the time I use dramamine and it usually works if I take it early enough. Last summer I tried some Psi wristbands from REI http://www.rei.com/product/783422 I wear them the whole time I'm on the boat and sometimes overnight after we get home. I wear them really tight so they don't move, it worked for me.

I checked online and the transderm-scopolamine patches are NOT prescribed for children (I presume that means under 12). too bad, if a kid really needs something, less than 1 in 6 people get drowsy with these. Eye problems like someone mentioned are usually from touching the pad (like in " hmm...is it still there?") and then touching the eye.

Read up on the ginger...it really does work in scientific tests, so also do the little wrist bands with the knob on them that puts pressure on an accupressure point on the inside of the wrist.

Someone mentioned about whether your son gets carsick? That is very likely indication as to whether he will get seasick, according to what I read on medical sites, so do pay attention to that, as well as to whether he gets sick on carnival rides (yeah, I know, not many of those in AK except Los Anchorage...).

http://mythbustersresults.com/episode43 I have used these ginger capsules on a lot of people with great results. Only one person they didn't work on. But nothing has worked for him. No side effects on anyone yet. But nothing works for everyone. Take a couple of hrs ahead and maybe 1 cap every couple of hours.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast