Thread: Freshwater Lake Fishing in AK?

Default Freshwater Lake Fishing in AK?

OK... So I am currently a TN resident and fish mostly lakes and sometimes rivers in my area for Bass. I'm considering a move to AK and was wondering what freshwater species of fish are available in the Lakes throughout AK? I realize they probably stay frozen for a large portion of the year, but when not frozen, what would be some of the different species I could look to target and/or catch?

God Bless & Good Fishing!

First off lets clear the air about the frozen tundra LOL.... There is always a place you can fish in Alaska regardless of what time a year it is. I moved up here from West Virginia several years back and I am here to tell ya the fishing is great. If you like to bass fish back home you will love the pike fishing. Salmon fishing during the summer months is awesome, plenty of trout and grayling when the salmon arent running plus you have thousands of miles of shoreline to patrol for saltwater species. There is always someone willing to take you along and share expenses on a fishing trip. Ice fishing opprotunities abound obviously. Lake trout and big char being the main species targeted ths time of year but pratically all of the fresh water species can be taken through the ice. So what are you waiting for Alaska is a fishermans dream.

Thanks for your response! Are Pike the primary lake fish of AK? Are there others? If so, what?

Quote Originally Posted by G3_Guy View Post
    Thanks for your response! Are Pike the primary lake fish of AK? Are there others? If so, what?
    Pike are native to watersheds north and west of the Alaska Range, but they have been illegally introduced to a number of other lakes and river systems as well. The best pike fishing is found in the interior, but there is also good pike fishing on the rivers and lakes around the Susitna and Yetna rivers. I don't know if there is any viable pike fishery on the Kenai Peninsula, but they have killed off the introduced pike in at least one or two lakes down that way to prevent them from being transferred to nearby salmon/trout streams.

Beyond pike, your primary lake fish are going to be lake trout, burbot, grayling, rainbow trout, char, and landlocked salmon. Many of these lake fisheries are primarily made of stocked fish in the 10-18" range, though larger fish are certainly possible. More remote fisheries are more likely to be wild and have larger fish available.

Thanks for the info Brian M! Interesting tidbit... my name is Brian M. as well. Go figure! Thanks again!