Thread: Barney's website

Default Barney's website

It's been about a year since I asked when their site will be up and running. Anyone know?
    "The days a man spends fishing or spends hunting should not be deducted from the time he's on earth. " Theodore Roosevelt

They still must be working on it. Here is what they have now.

I have to wonder about how much business they miss out on. After several years and tons of people asking about it, internet sales just don't seem to be a priority to them. Guess they have all the business they need with walk ins.

I know I would have bought from them in the past if they did mail order sales. Just not practical to drive to Anchorage to buy FTF.

http://www.barneyssports.com/

Steve
    Last edited by stid2677; 02-15-2011 at 21:36.
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

I like the shop and I have bought many things there before, but there are only a few items in the store that are truly unique to Barney's. Most of the stuff in there can be found anywhere. Helly Hansen rain gear, MSR stoves, sea to summit compression sacks, havelon knives, etc.

The stuff you can't find anywhere else would be the packs and the Brooks Range Jacket/Pants.

The main thing I like about Barney's is that if it is in that store, it is quality gear that will work on a hunt. As much as most of that stuff costs, I wish I had purchased all of my gear there from the start. If only I could have the money back that I wasted on a cabela's pack, cabela's hunting clothes, etc.

$731.00 for a sleeping bag. Don't know how you can justify that.

He doesn't really need a website, trust me.....everytime I go in there to BS theres a bunch of customers in there buying stuff. He also has alot of European clientel that frequent the store during the peak hunting season and they come here with nothing, and leave the store with just about everything !!!....Not to mention he goes to all the big shows down south and of course our very own Alaska Sportsmans show....

"96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

Quote Originally Posted by Akres View Post
    Well somebody had to do it, didn't they Res?

Quote Originally Posted by Akres View Post
    Dang, I fell for it! LOL.

i agree with stid. it is a shame they don't help out the residents in fairbanks and other rural parts a little more with a modern way of product distribution. obviously it's their choice and they don't need "our" business. they can cater to the hunt crowd in anchorage, out of state or country folks traveling through, or go to "big" shows down in the lower 48, but can't help out the other half of alaskan residents. just venting. i wont support them until they get a web based program worth a hoot...

Call em. If you want to know about the website - just call em.
    A few months ago I got the impression from one of the sales guys that the clamor about the website became quite a distraction.

It's a small shop, with a small staff. Barney's has a sizeable ski business during the winter - the whole front 2/3 or so of the store is nordic racing stuff. On the up side, I believe if you know what you want, they'll send it to you - even if it's not on the current web page.
    I think like oakman above - Bob puts a lot of effort into the inventory there every year, to stock quality items. I know they do a bit of international business - customers who call wanting particular items apparently. Great shop. Great people.

Quote Originally Posted by kahahawai View Post
    He doesn't really need a website, trust me.....everytime I go in there to BS theres a bunch of customers in there buying stuff. He also has alot of European clientel that frequent the store during the peak hunting season and they come here with nothing, and leave the store with just about everything !!!....Not to mention he goes to all the big shows down south and of course our very own Alaska Sportsmans show....
    Well, there you have it. Think I've been there once. Usually find what I need at Wiggys, Mt. View Sports, or the catalog for a good price. Shipping can be a killer though...but selection makes up for it.
    Alaska Outdoors Television ~ Outdoor Channel

Quote Originally Posted by sdrhunter View Post
    i agree with stid. it is a shame they don't help out the residents in fairbanks and other rural parts a little more with a modern way of product distribution. obviously it's their choice and they don't need "our" business. they can cater to the hunt crowd in anchorage, out of state or country folks traveling through, or go to "big" shows down in the lower 48, but can't help out the other half of alaskan residents. just venting. i wont support them until they get a web based program worth a hoot...
    ????????

As a fellow business owner, friend of Bobs, and former Barney's employee I can think of a bunch of reasons why the website isn't up. But not caring about rural residents???? Really??? That's pretty absurd!!! Call in or better yet stop in when you're in town until the website is up.

Brett

Quote Originally Posted by tdelarm View Post
    Well, there you have it. Think I've been there once. Usually find what I need at Wiggys, Mt. View Sports, or the catalog for a good price. Shipping can be a killer though...but selection makes up for it.
    It really is a fabulous store. Bob is always on the cutting edge of hunting gear. You should stop back. Better yet stop by the Alaska SCI convention saturday the 26th and I'll be doing a gear seminar from 12-1:30 for Barney's.

Brett