Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Father/Son Moose Hunt Ideas?

Default Father/Son Moose Hunt Ideas?

Ok folks. My dad is 70 years old and for awhile now he has really been talking about going after a big moose! The guy is pretty consistent with walking 3 miles each morning and doing his push-ups. Hope I can still do that at 70 too.

I am thinking of taking him either on a fly-in and camp trip or a float trip. I am not sure how well he will be able to hike on the terrain so I am looking for suggestions. Really want to do this with my dad before he gets any older. At the minimum it will be the two of us and hopefully one of my brothers will come along too. Where we go up north isn't a big deal, we will make it work.

We will probably have about 5 days of actual hunt time. Any thoughts or recommendations from you guys would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Contact http://www.pbadventures.com/

They can drop you on a lake or river and you have a good chance of shooting the moose close to camp.

quick thought...with only five days of actual hunt time, a float hunting will require more days, probably. Floating on he river is not really considered your most effective hunting technique, and setting up/tearing down camps always takes longer than expected....dennis

While it ain't a big moose, I would suggest a late Aug caribou hunt out of Happy Valley on the Haul Road...multiple targets 4 all of you, easy walking in the river bottoms, great fun...

Wouldn'd 6 or 8 caribou be more fun than one moose....realistically...

Contact Mike McCrary at
    operations@seventynorth.com

With only 5 days and limited mobility, I would focus my efforts on a motorized boat hunt. Easy deal, to shoot from the boat. Probably the fastest way to get a moose and get it out in that length of time.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

Moose hunting in general is hard work, add a raft and it only gets harder. I have had several agile adults that struggled getting in and out of the raft. If you have a 3rd I would say go for it, if it is just you and your Dad I would do a drop camp. Moose are heavy and getting the meat and gear up and down muddy banks can be a challenge. 5 days is not that long when you start floating, most of my floats hunts involve 3 to 4 days of hard rowing to make the takeout. Add setting up and breaking camp each day and you can start to see what it takes. Many floats are only accessible at a few points making a meat haul or med evac difficult.

With all that said floating can be a great time and well worth the effort. Just be careful every year peoples dream hunts turn into nightmares in a blink of an eye.

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Quote Originally Posted by BigMo View Post
    Ok folks. My dad is 70 years old and for awhile now he has really been talking about going after a big moose! The guy is pretty consistent with walking 3 miles each morning and doing his push-ups. Hope I can still do that at 70 too.

I am thinking of taking him either on a fly-in and camp trip or a float trip. I am not sure how well he will be able to hike on the terrain so I am looking for suggestions. Really want to do this with my dad before he gets any older. At the minimum it will be the two of us and hopefully one of my brothers will come along too. Where we go up north isn't a big deal, we will make it work.

We will probably have about 5 days of actual hunt time. Any thoughts or recommendations from you guys would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
    5 days is really pushing it. You have bad weather (very likely) or some kind of break down and poof your hunt time is gone. I think a fly in hunt is your best bet since you can hunt right from camp. A moose is ALOT of work. Even for 2 or 3 guys it will still take 5-6 hours to get one butchered up and back to camp, depending on how far you are.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

From the post while I was writing it would appear that great minds think alike.

The Happy Valley Caribou hunt is a solid recommendation. Beautiful country with lots to see. I try to get up that way every year. Saw Caribou, Sheep, Moose, Wolf, Grizzly, Wolverine, and Musk-Ox all on the same trip.

Steve
    Founding Member

In my opinion 5 days for a moose hunt that may be your fatherís last moose hunt is not realistic if you want a big moose. I would spend at least 10 days in the field and I would hunt a any bull area. You did not mention where you live or if youíre a experience moose hunter. I also know we all want to get a big bull, what do you consider big and if you donít get a moose will it matter that much?

I had a good solid experience using 40Mile Air out of Tok on a moose hunt with my 60y/o+ friend. We were only in the field for 4 days. Got a good moose on the 3rd day. We did, however, end up sitting in their office waiting for weather for nearly 3 days.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

5 days won't be enough for a moose hunt in my opinion...a caribou hunt, yes. I'm a Louisiana resident and I did a drop camp moose hunt in 2006. It was 10 days in the field and 2 days of travel in and 2 days of travel out...14 days...and we shot 1 bull between the 2 of us. Last year we did a Brooks Range caribou hunt. It was 5 days in the bush with 2 days of travel in and 2 days of travel out...and I shot 1 bull and my nephew shot 2 bulls with both of us having the opportunity for another bull or 2.

Maybe contact Larry Bartlett and Pristine Ventures.
    "The days a man spends fishing or spends hunting should not be deducted from the time he's on earth. " Theodore Roosevelt

Really appreciate the info so far guys. I am a teacher in S.E. and we both have plenty of hunting experience. Basically, I will be leaving on a Friday and having from Sunday-Friday/Saturday to hunt get out. I just used the 5 days as a number. I think Sunday-Friday is more realistic of our hunt time. I am fully aware of weather problems and if they come up then we will deal with it.

Looking more for hunting ideas of what you all would think would be best. More than anything I think my pops wants to see a big bull...if we didn't get one but saw one that would be more than worth it. We all know the young bulls are better eating anyway. It is something he has talked about for awhile and I haven't taken the time off to make it happen. So, I would really like to take a week off work and get him up there this fall.

Again, keep the info/questions coming as it all helps me figure something out for him. I really appreciate it.

If he is a resident as well you both could book something out of Kotz.

Steve
    Founding Member

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaTrueAdventure View Post
    quick thought...with only five days of actual hunt time, a float hunting will require more days, probably. Floating on he river is not really considered your most effective hunting technique, and setting up/tearing down camps always takes longer than expected....dennis

While it ain't a big moose, I would suggest a late Aug caribou hunt out of Happy Valley on the Haul Road...multiple targets 4 all of you, easy walking in the river bottoms, great fun...

Wouldn'd 6 or 8 caribou be more fun than one moose....realistically...

Contact Mike McCrary at
    operations@seventynorth.com
    Agree with Dennis on the caribou advice.

I also agree with the caribou hunt and Mike will get you into a great spot... Class act guy and your father would have easier walking in the river bottoms.... This is a great idea... I plan I doing this hunt with my buddy this year too....

Hey BigMo! I'll hook you up. I know where there are about a half dozen moose that will go between 60 and 70". I'll meet you face to face in Anchorage during the time of March 17-20!

Quote Originally Posted by northway View Post
    Hey BigMo! I'll hook you up. I know where there are about a half dozen moose that will go between 60 and 70". I'll meet you face to face in Anchorage during the time of March 17-20!

WTH we show up at your place raise your property value and you won't even give us that info and again WTH... Thanks for nothing LOL

Last comment/thoughs for bigmo.....

It is really super that you are trying to make your fathers dream/wish of a big moose come true....super nice and honorable.
    But what he has possible not expressed is that he also wants to see his sons, his team, connect and score some game.
    And that is why I was selling, pushing, for the multi caribou outing.
    It is GENERALLY tough to score more than one moose -one big moose- per trip, anywhere.
    It is generally EASY to score many caribou per trip, up north.
    Regardless of MY personal hopes and dream hunts, as a parent, it means more to me to see the entire team connect....
    And...as a guide I have conducted a few hunts for some 70 years "young" hunters....and their "trophy standards" seemed much lower than I had expected, much lower than their standards had been just a few years earlier......
    If you set up the big moose hunt, do not be too surprised if-and-when he tells you to whack the big moose.
    ....just my one cent of thoughts....
    Good luck with whichever critter you decide to chase.
    And again, how very great and honorable that you are arranging a hunt for dad.
    dennis
    dennis

Northway...you know I appreciate it. Been talking about doing this for too long. Just gotta make the plan and get it done.

Dennis, I really appreciate your info. Will certainly mention the idea to pops but he has his heart set on a moose. I don't really care if any of us get one as long as he gets a shot at one. I have plenty of time to go on my own hunts. This is definitely all about him. He shoots, we clean, and I start packing is how it will go.

Now, I just have to wait for my other hunting partner to get a year or two older and then I can go on a sheep hunt with him. haha Been teasing him for a few years now that I was waiting til he hit 50.

Thanks again to all the ideas from everybody.

This didn't seem like a bad idea to me, if your both residents. Not a bad price for a place to sleep, food, transportation, and help from a guide. Mike recommended him kind of a long drown out thread but seems like a good trip for what you looking for.

Hidden Alaska Guides and Outfitters

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ed)?highlight=

Quote Originally Posted by 323 View Post
    WTH we show up at your place raise your property value and you won't even give us that info and again WTH... Thanks for nothing LOL
    Despite what you think, my property value went down when you were here! Nothing like valley trash ruining my pristine property! Never seen property worth $200,000 drop to $100,000 over night before!! This hunt would be too hard for you and would have to last more than 24 hours and require you to "camp" out in the Alaska wilderness among the wild creatures! LMAO!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast