Thread: Yakutat

Default Yakutat

Looking for some info on the Situk river King run. Is it a fairly stron run? Worth a trip in June to fish? Is it an elbow to elbow fishery for Kings. I am aware of the fishing for Steelhead but am curiuos about Kings in June or Silvers in September. Any info will be appreciated. Thanks

Default May

I have a friend that goes every year the third week of May and does awesome on saltwater kings. They shell out some money, but catch a ton of kings and awesome halibut fishing. It is on my list, but too much money for this year for me. If you want I can find out more information from this person.
    Hike faster. I hear banjo music.

Charterboat Operator

Mid to late June fishing can be AWSom. Reds mixed in with the kings, very little pressure there then. Don't waste your time floating the river from 9 mile down. 85% of the fish will below the weir, and all in a walkable distance. great fly fishing!

I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

I spent two summers in Yakutat, one of those had me on the river every day. despite the size of the king run, I will say that those fish are very difficult to catch. especially on a fly rod. there is alot of pressure then; there's always alot of pressure on the Situk. they are pushed right up tight to the bank all day, and for the most part completely uninterested. In fact I have never seen a king landed that was fair hooked/took a fly on a fly rod. We would occasionally line one sockeye fishing. I have however caught them at the mouth on hardware before they got to the gauntlet, and of course before they close the 'old mans hole'. You got a better shot at night when the pressure leaks, the fish relax and start to move.

Default Thank you

Thank you all for the information. You are a great resource.
    Thanks

I have beet fishing the Yakutat area for the last ten years. My advice
    for camping on the river is to rent a boat (jon boats work well in this river, a drift boat isnít necessary). Boats can be rented from Glacier Bear Lodge and Yakutat lodge. Fishing down from Nine Mile Bridge to the take out is 16 miles so itís a fair walk and might take 3-4 days due to the terrain. There are two public use cabins at mid river (Raven & Eagle Cabin) reservations can be made through reservations.com, they sleep 4 and have oil stove/heater. There is also an airstrip between the cabins. Bears can be an issue and I recommend at least pepper spray (available at the Ace Hardware store in Yak) or a 12 gauge. If your going for Steelhead early to mid May is best, if salmon is your target mid June is always great (easy 100 fish days for Sockeye). I also advise at the very least one guided day on the river, float down from the bridge to the take out to get to know the river. Contact Ron DeNardi @ 1-907-784-3301 he is one of the best guides in the business and will also show you the methods that work in this river.