Thread: Black Bear (Hope area)

Default Black Bear (Hope area)

I was up blackie hunting last September and didnt score on a blackie at the time. A friend told me that my liscense is still good until some time in June this year. We hunted them in the mountain tops while they were grazing on Blueberries and had great luck with 2 out of 3 of us scoring on blackies. My question is if I return in June to hunt them in the same area what is the best way for that time of year to hunt them? There cant be berries in June so do they utilize different areas or are they still high in the mountains eating grasses or something else? Thanks in advance!

Just to clarify, your tag is still good but your license is not. You will need a 2011 license.
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

Beginning in early May and hunt low on south facing slopes.
    Black Bears have to wake up from hibernation.
    Black Bears have to eat.
    Black Bears begin their spring with eating the individual blades of grass that grow first as the snow recedes on low south facing Kenai mountain slopes.

dennis....check the archives....tons of this stuff....

Quote Originally Posted by dhosera View Post
    I was up blackie hunting last September and didnt score on a blackie at the time. A friend told me that my liscense is still good until some time in June this year. We hunted them in the mountain tops while they were grazing on Blueberries and had great luck with 2 out of 3 of us scoring on blackies. My question is if I return in June to hunt them in the same area what is the best way for that time of year to hunt them? There cant be berries in June so do they utilize different areas or are they still high in the mountains eating grasses or something else? Thanks in advance!
    Dennis gave you some good info for the spring. My advice is to get a regulation book and know it well, if your serious about hunting your buddy shouldn't be telling you when your lic/tags expire and such..Just food for thought..
    "A vote is like a rifle: its usefulness depends upon the character of the user." T. R.

My advice is to usually to get 3 or 4 miles off the road system. Only those south facing slopes will be snow free. Kenai Lake is a great place for mid-late/May after the lake is ice free.

I'm pretty sure your tag has expired as well. I believe the NR locking tags are good from Jan 1 to Dec 31. The harvest tickets are June to July I believe. So your HT is still good, but its useless as a NR. I'd check the regs and then talk to the F&G to verify.