Thread: What IS, the Best Way.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Default What IS, the Best Way.

When I shoot my revolvers, 357, 44 Mag. from a bench, a rest, if you will, for sight in, purposes, etc.

How should I use the rest?
    Or, what part of the gun is touching the rest? Barrel, frame, butt, trigger guard?

Should it be against the rest, or just my arm, or my palm?

How do you do it?

Thanks
    Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Don't know if it's the best but I use bags under the frame and the butt cupped in my off hand which is resting on the bench. With cross sticks they go ahead of the trigger guard on the frame. You don't want the barrel touching anything and you want to keep in mind where you are redirecting the flash from the cylinder gap.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

The more contact you can make, the better. If you have a sand bag, get as much of your barrel on it as you can, push the trigger guard right up against the side of it, and rest the heel of the grip and your forearms on the bench. At least that's how I do it.

If you are going to shoot from the bench then both of the previous methods are fine. If you want to know where it's going to hit while shooting in the field then you need to support no more than your forearms leaving your wrists and the gun to follow normal recoil actions. Handguns are very sensitive to how they are held and supported as to where they will hit. Forearms on sand bags is what I use for initial sight in. And then test in actual field positions, off hand, kneeling, shoulder against a tree to see what the guns and I are capable of and for final zero.

Only my wrist ever touch the rest.Gun has to be sighted in for you not the gun
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

My experience is that when any part of the gun touches a rest, POI shifts from where it will be when shooting without a rest. I two-hand the gun, then rest my wrists on sandbags. If I can't get good groups at longer ranges doing that, then long range shooting is kind of pointless because I'm not going to be carrying a rest in the field.

Scoped Contender/Encore/Etc are exceptions because I am likely to be resting the forend on something when I shoot in the field.

Yes you should sight in the way you will shoot in the field as point of aim will change. I only use a bench as: 1, take as much of ďmeĒ out of the equation as I can to see how tight the gun can shoot, or 2, get in the ballpark faster sighting in when I go between sights and scope.

According to all the competition guys I have talked too about it, including Professor Murphy, you always want the barrel free and frame supported. They say it makes the pressure on the gun more repeatable than supporting the barrel. Donít know, itís just what Iíve been told and I do know itís true for a rifle.

Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by rbuck351 View Post
    If you are going to shoot from the bench then both of the previous methods are fine. If you want to know where it's going to hit while shooting in the field then you need to support no more than your forearms leaving your wrists and the gun to follow normal recoil actions. Handguns are very sensitive to how they are held and supported as to where they will hit. Forearms on sand bags is what I use for initial sight in. And then test in actual field positions, off hand, kneeling, shoulder against a tree to see what the guns and I are capable of and for final zero.
    This is the best way. I work loads and shoot tiny targets at long range by resting the end of the barrel and butt real solid on bags.
    To just sight for hunting I will rest just my forearms on bags, use a sitting position with my knees or Creedmore. If you use sticks, etc for hunting, always sight with the method you use in the field.

Quote Originally Posted by bfrshooter View Post
    This is the best way. I work loads and shoot tiny targets at long range by resting the end of the barrel and butt real solid on bags.
    To just sight for hunting I will rest just my forearms on bags, use a sitting position with my knees or Creedmore. If you use sticks, etc for hunting, always sight with the method you use in the field.
    Thanks bfrshooter:

I was hopin you would weigh in on this.

I'll try that.

I've been using different ways, and thought I should find something workable, and use it consistently
    You can't out-give God.

Smile

Smitty,
    I rest my wrists, the boney part of my shooting hand, on solid sand bags. With two handed grip, resting both of course. You can get much more stable by resting the barrel or trigger guard on sand bags as well. These points are forward of the recoil fulcrum and don't restrict free recoil. With short barrels be careful of cylinder gap flash it will pock mark sand bag and bare skin exposed. With heavier recoiling revolvers, resting the butt of the gun seems to make it bounce as the gun tries to rotate in recoil. This will produce vertical stringing, even though the gun is perfectly still at each shot. I allow the butt to move unrestricted. This gives a consistent recoil resistance and makes tighter groups. The more recoil we have it seems this becomes more critical. Of course if you grip like a vise, this wont matter so much. All guns move in recoil even though we try and sometimes think we've got the gun anchored. Therefore consistency in grip and rest is important.
    Also if you rest your bulging forearm muscles on a sand bag or any firm surface, you'll notice your arms and gun bounce as muscles tension with each shot. So I use the narrow boney lower forearm as a rest point.
    As always YMMV, but this has worked well for me with many rounds of test firing light and very heavy caliber, single and double action revolvers. You may actually find yourself shooting smaller groups without a rest because of the recoil forces messing with POI. Remember a gun starts to recoil before the bullet leaves the barrel. As the bullet moves forward, third law energy moves gun rearward and the resistance of your grip/rest will determine where the muzzle points at bullet exit. Consistent recoil resistance is what makes good groups. (What would this be without my physics input.)
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Thanks for taking the time,Murphy:

I'll try your suggestions.

Last time out, with my 357, I burned holes in the rag I put over the sand bag.

Smitty of the North
    You can't out-give God.

I try to duplicate what I would do in the field so the gun never touches any thing . Just the arms from the elbows on down. If I don't get good groups that way I move closer...