Thread: Bear Hunting Help

Default Bear Hunting Help

Hey guys I have been up here in Alaska for 2 years now and one of the two I was deployed to afghanistan. I am wanting to get me my first bear this year and any help on where to go and what to do would be awesome. I am located in Anchorage and I am willing to drive to get my bear. Thanks for the help.

A bit more information would be helpful in laying out some suggestions for you. What species of bear are you hoping to hunt? How much time can you devote for a single hunt - weekends primarily, or a week or more? Do you have access to a boat, atv, snowmachine, or will you be hunting primarily off the road system on foot? There are ways to make any combination of the above work, but giving a reasonable suggestion will vary depending on what you're able to do and what your preferences are.

As far as species go I am easy I would be just as happy with a black bear as I would be with a brown bear. I don't own a boat, ATV or snowmobile so I am stuck to foot and truck transportation. I am able to do weekends however I am not able to do week long trips. I do want to get a bear so I will be willing to devote alot of time and work to get one.

Most of my experience with blackies is here on the peninsula. In the spring just about anywhere you get above the tree line on the peninsula will have blackies running around plan to do a lot of glassing, and a lot of hiking.
    One good area close to you is around hope there are areas where you can glass from the road and go up after it when you find the one you want. Hunting lower in the trees is really tough without a bait but if you get above the trees you will see bears, sometimes the tough part is getting to them.

Thanks for your service I am a fellow Iraq vet USMC

Well, black bears will be best on the kenai and hiking away from the road and glassing would work. But much better odds, have a boat transporter drop you off out of Homer or Whittier for a long weekend. For brown bears a long weekend fly in to the Talkeetnas would be fun.... I think you could hunt both if you took a fly in across the inlet or into Unit 16.
    I come home with an honestly earned feeling that something good has taken place. It makes no difference whether I got anything, it has to do with how the day was spent. Fred Bear

Hello there,
    First off I'd like to echo what Tony said, Thanks for your service.

Secondly, send me an email and let's talk. My family and I live remote in Talkeetna and we would like to host you as a way of showing our appreciation. I think spring black bear would be a good hunt. If you can get to Talkeetna, we will get you to our place. FYI - If you did get a bear my wife makes some GOOOOD black bear sausage!

If you are interested send me an email and lets see if can get this to work.

Kelvin

Quote Originally Posted by Sollybug View Post
    Well, black bears will be best on the kenai and hiking away from the road and glassing would work. But much better odds, have a boat transporter drop you off out of Homer or Whittier for a long weekend. For brown bears a long weekend fly in to the Talkeetnas would be fun.... I think you could hunt both if you took a fly in across the inlet or into Unit 16.
    A couple yrs ago... in Late April... I was invited to go on the Tagging cruise for the Homer Halibut Derby... After tagging our quota, the Capt ran the boat out by Pt Adam so we could try to fill our personal limits with some larger 'butts ... on the way back in between Pt Adam and Seldovia we counted 27 black bear on the beach..... /John

Quote Originally Posted by KelvinG View Post
    Hello there,

Secondly, send me an email and let's talk. My family and I live remote in Talkeetna and we would like to host you as a way of showing our appreciation. I think spring black bear would be a good hunt. If you can get to Talkeetna, we will get you to our place. FYI - If you did get a bear my wife makes some GOOOOD black bear sausage!

Kelvin
    That is really nice of you. point sent

Hello there,

Kelvin

This would be an awsome place. The talkeetna is packed with bears. I have a place in caswell and when I take my wheeler into the mountains I can watch black and brown bear walk around all day above the tree line. Take the offer and good luck!

Default Talkeetna wheeler and bears

I am interesteed in the wheeler trails in the Talkeetna area and it sounds as though youmay be the person to talk to. Also my 10 year old boy is set on taking a brown bear (Crazy) but I would like to make it happen for him. Any help would be great. i would like to take him this spring if possible. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sollybug View Post
    Was wondering if anyone could maybe give a name of someone who I could contact to do the above. I want to shoot a bear and would love to get dropped off for a couple of days in an area to hunt them. So if anyone has any information on who I could call, email, or just plain get a hold of, PM me so I can do just that. Thanks
    Hunt until you don't like it any more

Homerdave here on the forums runs a water taxi and is a licensed transporter for dropping hunters. If you don't want to drive that far, there are options available out of Valdez and Whittier as well.

Quote Originally Posted by akarrows View Post
    I am interesteed in the wheeler trails in the Talkeetna area and it sounds as though youmay be the person to talk to. Also my 10 year old boy is set on taking a brown bear (Crazy) but I would like to make it happen for him. Any help would be great. i would like to take him this spring if possible. Thanks
    I tried to PM you but you've got them turned off.

Hello there,

Kelvin
    Kelvin thanks that is one heck of an offer!!!

Sly Angler,

You have been given a lot of great information and one heck of an offer on a hunt now you just need to sit down and figure out where you want to go and when you want to go.

You also have the rental boats available at Outdoor Rec which will open up some more opportunities and might come in a little cheaper than a transporter. Whittier, Seward, and Homer are great spots to go in the spring. Sit in the boat and glass the beaches and hillsides, find your bear and make a nice stalk.

If you want to hunt the road system then try along Turnagin Arm or further south along the Seward HWY, Hope Road, and Cooper/Skilak lakes. Just make sure you are 1/2 mile off the road in the Chugach State Park (one half mile of any campground, picnic area, ski area or other facility, or any roadway in the park including the Seward Highway)

Another option is getting a canoe or raft and floating any of the numerous waterways surrounding Anchorage. With some research you could easily do this on a 2-3 day weekend.

If there is anything I can do to help you out drop me a line.

Good luck!!

Rob

Quote Originally Posted by broncoformudv View Post
    Sly Angler,

You have been given a lot of great information and one heck of an offer on a hunt now you just need to sit down and figure out where you want to go and when you want to go.

You also have the rental boats available at Outdoor Rec which will open up some more opportunities and might come in a little cheaper than a transporter. Whittier, Seward, and Homer are great spots to go in the spring. Sit in the boat and glass the beaches and hillsides, find your bear and make a nice stalk.

If you want to hunt the road system then try along Turnagin Arm or further south along the Seward HWY, Hope Road, and Cooper/Skilak lakes. Just make sure you are 1/2 mile off the road in the Chugach State Park (one half mile of any campground, picnic area, ski area or other facility, or any roadway in the park including the Seward Highway)

Another option is getting a canoe or raft and floating any of the numerous waterways surrounding Anchorage. With some research you could easily do this on a 2-3 day weekend.

If there is anything I can do to help you out drop me a line.

Good luck!!

Rob

or throw your trash/garbage in your back yard on post and arrow that bad boy from the 2nd story window!

First off I want to thank everyone for their help and your support for the troops. I really think this year is my year for a bear and with a offer from KelvinG I simply can not pass it up. Thanks everyone for your input and I will be sure to post pictures of my first bear.