Thread: Getting out and flying

Default Getting out and flying

Hello forum members

I am new to the aviation scene and enjoy getting out of the city and seeing the true Alaska. I know flying is one of the best ways to get out there. Being new and looking on where to start, What direction and guidance could you give me?

I have a large attraction to aviation(mostly remote flying) and I am not looking to make a career out of it. I seems tough for me because I have no one to show me the ropes or have me tag along on flights with them for the basics. I have been doing some research on getting my pilots license. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks to everyone who replies in advance

First just get your private pilot's license. Then figure out what you want to do with it.

got to one of the flight schools at merril and see if they have an introductory flight. Take that, gather some info on how much it is going to cost to get your private lisc.($5-8k usually) Maybe take a ground school in the winter. Once you've done that, come back and tell us what you think, and some of us can point you in the right direction. All i got to say is if your not poor now, you will wonder where all your money went if you get into aviation. And trust me it is addicting!!!

Does anyone know of or recommend a certain company/person to get started with? I have contacted a few companies but not sure on which ones are better than others or even what to look for between them.

Thanks

All depends on where you are located.

If you are looking at a flight school in Anchorage, I can't praise Land and Sea Aviation enough! First class outfit and Great instructors! I recommend Suzy Rebich, she was my instructor and is really good. Go talk to them and see what you think. I just took my checkride on Saturday and passed. Go and get started, you won't regret it!