Thread: Injured animal track?

Default Injured animal track?

A buddy and I went after some hare this weekend near Lake Louise. When driving out Sunday morning we found these tracks crossing the road. Can you tell from the photo's if this is a young moose or a bou? The snow was only a dusting and that stride is about 5 foot. It was interesting and I thought I'd share.

P2130015.jpgP2130016.jpg

I'd say caribou.
    Also my guess is that its not injured just dragging its hoofs a little
    Tomorrow isn't promised. "Never delay kissing a pretty girl or opening a bottle of whiskey." E. Hemingway

Quote Originally Posted by mjm316 View Post
    I'd say caribou.
    Also my guess is that its not injured just dragging its hoofs a little
    thats what i would guess too.
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Looks like a moose to me. I can't see the "rounded" shape on the top of the track for it to be a caribou.

Id say moose, look too long for bou and not rounded enough imo. How long did the tracks measure?

Quote Originally Posted by sambuck12 View Post
    How long did the tracks measure?
    I didn't put a ruler to them but were 3 to 4 inches. Do they often drag a hoof like that? It was only on the right.

Looks like a Cow Caribou to me, they drag their feet and with the firm snow there, the bulls would still mark with their dew claws.
    5 foot stride is an adult.
    Looks like she was moving, but not running.

Who knows? Go look, if its wounded, its Wolfbait!!.................. and all that is possible with that

If not wounded, KILL IT!!!
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

it's not caribou, that's certain. Looks like a moose calf to me, with a possible limp.

Young moose with a bum leg.....IMHO

What makes you think its even wounded?

Both sides are "Dragging", as seen in the first picture, like 'some' animals do....
    The place where the animal has a pretty low "bust" through the bank, not really an animal that tall.......

Caribou hoooves are not "Rounded" this timma year, they are getting elongatated as they walk on the snow and nor gravled rivers and ridge tops and the hoof material isnt being ground away. The tip of the toe in the track in the picture is disturbed.

No Dewclaw marks either....

Quote Originally Posted by strangerinastrangeland View Post
    What makes you think its even wounded?

Both sides are "Dragging", as seen in the first picture, like 'some' animals do....
    The place where the animal has a pretty low "bust" through the bank, not really an animal that tall.......

Caribou hoooves are not "Rounded" this timma year, they are getting elongatated as they walk on the snow and nor gravled rivers and ridge tops and the hoof material isnt being ground away. The tip of the toe in the track in the picture is disturbed.

No Dewclaw marks either....
    "...Caribou hoooves are not "Rounded" this timma year, they are getting elongatated as they walk on the snow and nor gravled rivers and ridge tops and the hoof material isnt being ground away..."

Now that IS interesting!
    Joe

Caribou are either lazy walkers OR just very efficient... Just barely skimming the snow/sand with their hoofs. The "least" amount of effort for the "most" amount of forward movement....Caribou leave "drag" tracks on soft surfaces all the time. Usually with their hind hooves. But, that looks like a Moose track to me....

By March, Wantj, quite a few will have "Turkish slippers", with the hooves, like fingernails growing long. especiall in low snow yaers, when food is easy for em to get, and digging is minimal.
    We get the majority of our snow here in late March, early April.
    Im probly not far off in thinking this happens to Moose as well, maby even Muskoxen.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm............

I should take pix of them, it would be interesting to picture Caribou as they change over the course of a yaer.
    I find them most interesting, and when I am workin a few, I like to compare the differences. I should look over my picts and see what I have on that.
    Lotsa fun to me anyway...

Quote Originally Posted by strangerinastrangeland View Post
    By March, Wantj, quite a few will have "Turkish slippers", with the hooves, like fingernails growing long. especiall in low snow yaers, when food is easy for em to get, and digging is minimal.
    We get the majority of our snow here in late March, early April.
    Im probly not far off in thinking this happens to Moose as well, maby even Muskoxen.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm............

I should take pix of them, it would be interesting to picture Caribou as they change over the course of a yaer.
    I find them most interesting, and when I am workin a few, I like to compare the differences. I should look over my picts and see what I have on that.
    Lotsa fun to me anyway...
    Picture would be great. Probably varies depending on habitat being used and conditions such as snow cover. Such activities as cratering surely could have a major impact on hoof shape.
    Joe

Quote Originally Posted by yogibear View Post
    A buddy and I went after some hare this weekend near Lake Louise. When driving out Sunday morning we found these tracks crossing the road. Can you tell from the photo's if this is a young moose or a bou? The snow was only a dusting and that stride is about 5 foot. It was interesting and I thought I'd share.

P2130015.jpgP2130016.jpg
    I have the same tracks with the drag marks across my front yard... and to my knowledge there isn't any caribou down here on KGB rd... so I'd have to say moose...../John

Have seen both animals leave drag marks like that before in the snow.
    But not with a chatter mark.
    Have heard of one vehicle/moose minor accident on L.L.road this year.
    Appears to be moose.