Thread: Best fishing in May

Default Best fishing in May

I am new to the fishing up here and this will be my first year that I can legally fish as I make a year in April. I know about hitting the salmon runs, but I am going to want to get out in May and do some fishing and was wondering what to fish for then and where might be good places to find whatever it is I am going for. I would like to get into fly fishing but I am not sure what times are good for that.

Again, all I know about is the salmon. Is there anything that May is actually GOOD for? Thanks.

AK,
    The first year my wife & I went up to Alaska (2006) was in May. Did fair trolling off Anchor Point- Wife caught two smaller kings, I caught one. Anchor halibut from 16# to 31# on two days. Wife did better on the Kenai one slightly larger king, I got skunked. Kasilof- wife small king, me 2 silvers.
    Don't know about fly fishing- ain't done none.

May can be the best month of the year on any of the lakes for trout. Biggest fish of the year on most lakes for me are right after ice out. If you know about the salmon runs, any river open to fishing can have some great trout and Char action using a smolt pattern or anything resembling a smolt. Most times you will know because you will see a lot of birds, terns and gulls, working the smolts along with the trout

If you have access to a decent boat, a favorite of mine is the combo halibut and King salmon fishery off Deep Creek.

Big lake trout from the shore about that time. Hike around smaller lakes that are known for lake trout and mimic the smolt heading out as said above. Go into Three Rivers in Wasilla for tips on what to use.

Depends on the when ice out occurs. If we have a warm spring and ice out occurs in mid/early may, you can have some pretty good rainbow trout fishing in the valley lakes duirng the month of May. Memorial Day is the annual "big" opening day in the Kenai Peninsula. The Ninilchik, Deep Creek, Anchor River, and the Kasilof River are all open for King Salmon fishing. Some are weekend fisheries and all can be fished from the bank.

I find that may is best on lakes going for trout and pike. It is really the end of may or beginning of june when it starts being worth while to spend gas money chasing salmon.
    It ain't about the # of pounds of meat we bring back, nor about how much we spent to go do it. Its about seeing what no one else sees.

http://wouldieatitagainfoodblog.blogspot.com/