Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pacific Cod eradication program (PCEP)

Charterboat Operator kodiakcombo's Avatar

Default Pacific Cod eradication program (PCEP)

PCEP of commercial jigging, we are doing our part in saving all the crab and juvenile halibut by commercial jigging cod, kinda like predator control. We landed 1500#s today.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Providing trips for multilpe species for over 20 yrs
    www.kodiakcombos.com

Right on! I've been buying that cod fresh at freddy for 5.99lb, can't beat it!

Ocean Beauty pays us .35 pound to catch FISH!
    www.kodiakcombos.com

Do you have to gut the fish?? or is it .35 cents for whole fish???

Nice! They are getting rather thick down here too..

all we have to do is find em catchem and bleed em and ice em(cold now, salt water freezes on to whatever the hose sprays!) for .35 a pound.
    www.kodiakcombos.com

Quote Originally Posted by kodiakcombo View Post
    all we have to do is find em catchem and bleed em and ice em(cold now, salt water freezes on to whatever the hose sprays!) for .35 a pound.
    That's good, I was wondering about all those fish laying around without ice! Say, describe how you do this, I can't imagine jigging up 1500# of cod on a rod and reel with a single jig!

Quote Originally Posted by Cap'n Ron View Post
    That's good, I was wondering about all those fish laying around without ice! Say, describe how you do this, I can't imagine jigging up 1500# of cod on a rod and reel with a single jig!
    I would assume he's using jigging machines. A normal setup includes 2-6 jigging machines with the crewmembers running back and forth baiting, unhooking, and bleeding fish while the machines reel 'em in. My brother has talked about doing this for years on our boat, but we haven't made it happen yet.

That makes sense, Brian. Now I am wondering about by-catch, just about everything will hit a jig...or is the habitat and timing such that it's almost exclusively cod that are caught? Wondering about saving those juvenile halibut, you see ...

Brain pretty much described commercial jigging, my son and I work 2 jiggers with 6 hooks on each. The smaller the circle hook, the least likly that you will fight a big halibut, as the hook is too small. Certain bait will yield certain fish, sliced up cod seems to attract halibut. We catch 500#s an hour now, when we get a full feeding frenzy we will land 1000#s an hour, cod are usually floping on the deck at the tender, we deliver every day we have a tender, when we dont have a tender we dont fish.
    www.kodiakcombos.com

Good Job Combos, extra income in the winter is good, eh?

as far as bycatch goes, I did the Commercial Jigging deal for several years and it is Amazingly clean,

I had three machines, going all the time, fishing Solo,
    the P Cod are quite, "area and bottom composition" specific, so, as I remember it,

I caught ONE Salmon, a bright Dog, cruising the candlefish clouds,
    Yes that's One Salmon in three years of intensive Jigging, and maybe Four Halibut total, in all that time, Seriously
    (and that's puttin in over 100,000 lbs of Cod, in three months, Clean as a Whistle)

One of the Best Fisheries going for Bycatch issues
    Black Bass, now and then but rarely, and Ling Cod, also Rare but sometimes, usually when targeting Black Bass
    Have no explanation for why Halibut don't come up after those Jigs but it's good they don't, they make a mess of things when one latches on to a string of 7-10hks, but for some reason when Cod Jigging, it's all Cod
    P Cod are out in the Flats and mud, sucking up candlefish, or preying on them when they cloud up towards June

That's a fine product you're putting in there Kodiak, Go Get 'Em
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

Thanks, Rain and Combo, sounds like it's a real clean fishery as you say, good to know it can be done like that!

Question: Do Cod prey on small Halibut and Crabs?
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

Cod seem to puke up herring, sandlance, and crab. Winter time its mostly crab and herring, then spring/summer its sandlance.
    www.kodiakcombos.com

I saw this a few days ago and it seems to give everyone a GOOD visual of how it's done and what does and does NOT get caught. Pretty amazing pile of stupid fish going to heaven! LOL!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j7HHt_reGAU

Very clean way to fish, IMO. Low impact fishing is a good thing.

We have had huge schools of those walleye pollock showing up in my area the last few years. Miles and miles of water have become virtually unfishable, and it seems that since they have showed up, the salmon fishing has been bad in those areas. They have to be eating a large amount of baitfish and competing with the salmon/halibut.

I wish they'd put together a program so that guys could go out and load up on them. Make a little bit of money, and reduce the competition for the money fish.

Quote Originally Posted by kodiakcombo View Post
    Cod seem to puke up herring, sandlance, and crab. Winter time its mostly crab and herring, then spring/summer its sandlance.
    I know halibut love eating those cod. Lingcod too. I wonder as the numbers of bigger halibut are down, if the numbers of those p cod are going to explode.

Yea, they should come up with some Flashy, Blingy PCod Charter Boat Class specifically for targeting us lower 48 tourist anglers. Come on up and fill your fish boxes with "the other white meat" after you catch your ONE under 37" chicken halibut! Maybe powder coat all the Pequod (p-cod)) class boats in gold paint. Could be a winner.

P-cod are fun to catch on salmon rods, and decent eating. The key is being able to pick out the worms after you've filletted them. No limit, so you can catch as many as you like.

Quote Originally Posted by carolinaboy View Post
    Yea, they should come up with some Flashy, Blingy PCod Charter Boat Class specifically for targeting us lower 48 tourist anglers. Come on up and fill your fish boxes with "the other white meat" after you catch your ONE under 37" chicken halibut! Maybe powder coat all the Pequod (p-cod)) class boats in gold paint. Could be a winner.
    I've kept em before!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast