Thread: Predator hunting in the wind

Default Predator hunting in the wind

I was planning on getting out today and doing a little calling. How does the wind affect predator hunting? Any veterans out there with some advice? Thanks in advance.

I'm not a veteran by any means, but I've called in the wind. If it's blowing 30MPH, I simply won't go, but 10MPH is manageable. Setup crosswind if you can, and try to watch your downwind side as best as possible. Canines will try to get downwind of you and get your scent. You can use that to your advantage if you know how to approach your stands and keep your scent from getting blown into the area where the predator is going to come from. For lynx, don't worry about it, they seem to care less about scent.

Quote Originally Posted by snowcamoman View Post
    I'm not a veteran by any means, but I've called in the wind. If it's blowing 30MPH, I simply won't go, but 10MPH is manageable. Setup crosswind if you can, and try to watch your downwind side as best as possible. Canines will try to get downwind of you and get your scent. You can use that to your advantage if you know how to approach your stands and keep your scent from getting blown into the area where the predator is going to come from. For lynx, don't worry about it, they seem to care less about scent.
    Thanks Snowcamoman, You are a veteran in my book. Compared to most guys on here you seem to do alright. I've been hunting all my life, but this predator hunting stuff is all new to me. It is a lot harder than I thought it would be. I give you guys on here that are consistently successful a lot of credit. It takes a lot of work.

I do not hunt with high winds. The success I have had calling in the wind over the years has been very minimal. 5-10 mph is huntable in my opinion. Hope hte hunt worked out for you.

Loren

Pretty much the same as with any other type of hunting. Pay attention to it and don't hunt with it at your back and you're fine. I usually call louder for obvious reasons. I don't think I'd ever NOT hunt because there was a strong wind. I've killed A LOT more predators in a strong wind than I have from my couch watching The Outdoor Channel.

Quote Originally Posted by Reese Outdoors View Post
    I do not hunt with high winds. The success I have had calling in the wind over the years has been very minimal. 5-10 mph is huntable in my opinion. Hope hte hunt worked out for you.

Loren
    Hey Loren, I took snowcamoman's advice and decided to bag it. It was blowin about 20-30 mph around my home. Thanks for your advice though. Glad to see you are using the forum. Your input is gladly welcome any time. Loved your videos.

Quote Originally Posted by Orelk6x6 View Post
    Pretty much the same as with any other type of hunting. Pay attention to it and don't hunt with it at your back and you're fine. I usually call louder for obvious reasons. I don't think I'd ever NOT hunt because there was a strong wind. I've killed A LOT more predators in a strong wind than I have from my couch watching The Outdoor Channel.
    I agree with your philosophy 100%. You are never gonna kill anything from the couch.

I search out all of my options if it's windy in a specific area. I'll drive 100 miles in the opposite direction if need to be find a calmer location to hunt. It's typically not that windy around Fairbanks, but heading towards Delta can bring out the winds for sure. If it's windy in all directions I have a few spots in creek bottoms that are sheltered a bit. I've slipped into some of the creek bottoms and killed predators on days where it's windy in Fairbanks, Delta and Nenana. Having a good lineup of calling spots is a key ingredient in my book. It takes time to compile a list of good spots to call though and decent field notes help too with maps and access points marked out. I try to find a couple access points if possible to a stand just in case the wind is blowing a certain direction. That's not possible with all stands, but it's definitely something to keep in mind when you find a good spot that you don't want to ruin on a breezy day.